yconic is the place where you can give and get the help you need for your life as a student. To help keep our community an enjoyable, helpful and safe place for all members, please adhere to the following guidelines.
1. Be nice to people. It's okay to provide constructive criticism, but there is no need to insult other members. For example, "X major is over-saturated right now. You might have trouble finding a job" is fine. "Your major is dumb. Have fun working in fast food," is not helpful nor appropriate.
2. Ask actual questions. If you're looking for help with something, titling a thread "HELP, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO" isn't going to appeal to the members that may be best suited to help you. Be specific and title your post with relevant information.
3. Don't abuse the anonymous feature by pretending to be multiple people. Surprise, surprise, we know who posts what :)
4. Please only tag relevant interests when you create a new thread. Adding unrelated interests is unlikely to get you the help you're looking for and can frustrate other members.
5. Avoid spamming. This includes replying to your own thread for the sole purpose of moving it up the discussion feed.
6. Don't expose other people's personal information. If someone is posting anonymously, please respect their privacy.
7. If you see something you don't like, click the 'Report' button in the post menu and a moderator will review it. Please avoid commenting on inappropriate posts as this only encourages them.
8. Did a post help you? Click the "Was this post helpful?" button to help us recognize our most helpful members and so that other people will know the response was...you guessed it, helpful!
If you do not respect our guidelines, you may be temporarily or permanently banned from the yconic community.
I have applied to Western BMOS for my undergrad hoping to achieve the AEO status. However, I must write a 500 word essay concerning 3 extra curricular activities that demonstrate leadership, teamwork, initiative, achievement, commitment and breadth.
In addition, I must write another 500 word essay regarding my work experience and it's responsibilities.
I am really struggling and worried about writing this.
I truly do want to make the essay perfect and I'm not too sure how to even start.
So my top 6 average including my prerequisites will be around a 90%, however, I have two extra courses I took as timetable fillers which marks are a 60%. What do you think my chances are to being accepted????
So I'm currently doing the AEO application, and for my EC's, I wrote my essays on my entrepreneurial ventures and part-time job, even though I understand there is a place for Work Experience. Even though I have 6 EC's listed, would it hurt my application if I have nothing put for work experience, since I put most of them as Activities (it says on the activities page you can use paid work experience, and for the work experience page it says don't repeat any employment mentioned in activities)
If someone can answer HONESTLY without saying "Queen's commerce or bust", that would be great...
Hey there! Hope you all had a great Christmas and will have a great 2018. I would really like some advice, what would you say is the best University for me to attend if I am averaging around an 83%. I am interested in getting a Bcomm or a BBA. I would also like to get co-op if possible. Any advice or recommendations will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Im currently getting a bad mark in Advanced functions and applying to programs such as Business Administration in universities that mostly require advanced functions and Calcus. Im already enrolled in Calcus for private school and want to go to CWJ at night school for advanced functions. So my schedule would be monday and wednsday calculus and tuesday and thursday advanced. In my opinion i think it shouldnt be that hard since advanced should be easier, any advice? I will be taking 5 courses basically as i will have one spare
I'm applying for Ivey AEO along with BMOS this year. My Grade 11 average was a 99 and I am also expecting my Grade 12 average (by March) will be 98/99. Admittedly, my EC's are pretty lacklustre. For example, Royal Canadian sea cadets for 3 years, school band for 4 years where I've been lead trumpet/section leader, working in a managerial position at my parents' business for 4 years, and many, many hours of tutoring. Within sea cadets, I've gone on summer leadership camps also.
1.How do you think my chances would be for AEO? My sisters who've been accepted to AEO in the past (2012) have told me that it used to be fairly simple to get by I am unsure of how it might be currently.
2. I am also applying for the Western National Scholarship program, would this greatly increase my chances of obtaining AEO?
3. Are they able to check how many volunteer hours you've obtained or how many hours you've worked? Most of my tutoring hours are unmarked in addition to my working hours as they were for my parents.
4. Finally, do they look at Grade 11 marks for AEO or is it only Grade 12 marks?
Sorry for the many questions, but Ivey is my dream school.
I'm basically always on here so figured might as well make one of these and help out any prospective students.
Background: - First 2 years spent as BBA Co-op student, secured first coop term through BBA - Transferred into BAcc Co-op after 2 years - Currently doing a spring semester
You kinda get the best of both worlds since I have been in all (both) the programs offered at the Goodman School of Business!
And since I know these are gonna be popular Qs:
WHEN SEARCHING FOR 1ST CO-OP: - Avg (both major and overall) ~80% - ECs: Leadership position in a club, some entrepreneurial stuff, sports stuff - Work XP: General accounting internship at no-name organization doing very basic stuff, manual labour
Since attending Brock, I have received interview requests from:
Company / Quantity / (Co-op vs summer intern, Location)
RBC x 3 (Various positions, co-op x2 and summer intern x1, Toronto)
Big 4 Audit x3 (1x Co-op and 1x Summer intern, Toronto...1 x Co-op in Calgary)
Big 5 Canadian Bank Capital Markets x2 (Co-op, Toronto)
Husky Energy (Summer intern, Calgary) Accenture Consulting (Full time, Toronto)
McKinsey Consulting (Full time, Eastern Europe)
AT TIME OF APPLYING TO UNIVERSITY (September 2012 Entry): - Rejected from BAcc Co-op - Accepted to BBA Co-op with 83.5% top 6
WHEN LANDING BIG 4 AUDIT CO-OP:
- Joined B4 Audit in January 2016
- Done 8 months of co-op, not at an accounting firm
- Major average ~85, overall ~80+
- ECs, unchanged from when applying to first co-op
- Completed a couple certificates in excel
ADVICE FOR CURRENT STUDENTS WHO WANT TO GET INTO B4 BUT DIDN'T/WON'T FOR THEIR FIRST COOP:
- Get public accounting experience somewhere else. This is basically a must. I believe I was the only upper year hired from my school into B4 this past term without prior public experience. It's something I noticed during recruiting
- If you have the above, grades matter a bit less. Yes you still want to do as best as you can, but a high 70 is OK enough if you have prior XP. An 80+ is still ideal though
- Be prepared to explain why you left your previous employer (and don't speak poorly about them)
That's basically it. So feel free to ask me anything and I'll try to answer your Qs as best as I can!
*Even if nobody has posted in this topic for a while, feel free to do so, chances are I'm still lurking on here
Was considering going to Brock for their BBA. I want to get into finance or possibly accounting and was wondering what you guys that about it. Please don't say go to queens or shulich because my berate is not good enough for those programs, I'm expecting to get an average of 83-84%
I plan on doing my commerce and was looking into Carleton and University of Ottawa as I'm confident I can get into them and also because it would be cool living in Canada's capital. However I don't know how good these programs are so could anyone tell me which one is better and if I should go to one of these universities or Brock for commerce.
my top 3 are prestige business schools and my 4th and 5th are my backups. I have a 90% average and if I don't get into any of my top 3 will my 4th and 5th choice reject me because I put their ranking so low?
I am currently sitting at a 69.9%. I am looking to apply to Queens Commerce as my 1st option, Western Ivey (Go Mustangs!!!!!) as my second and Nippising as my safe choice. My EC's include Mcdonalds employee of the month, School Cricket Captain, Helping Children in Kenya, and Fantasy Football commissioner (Won it all! shoutout Tom Brady)
Need help and advice regarding my chances thanks and all the best
Hey there guys, I can really use some help. I told some of my freinds about my interest in McMaster Business 1 and most of them have told me that I have to reapply to the business 1 program every year (after I accept). Is this true?