SHAD VALLEY 2012

Lefty07
Posted: 7:02AM February 14, 2012 UTC
I got an email today... turns out I've been waitlisted. :( Is there any chance I can get in now? Cheryl told me to accept a spot on the list because in the past people have gotten in from it... but honestly, I'm scared. 

Did anyone get in? 
Was this helpful?
yes 0
38 Responses
koreaftw
That's too bad to hear... but I would think that you should be hopeful. What grade are you in currently?

I got in and I'm honestly so glad. I'm trying to understand how the campuses differ and the things they have to offer - does anyone have information on that matter? 

Also, I've heard from a UBC Shad Alumni from last year that the program's catered more towards grade 11s. Will the material be too challenging considering I'm in grade 10?  
Was this helpful?
yes 0
mrhenryyu
Well, don't lose hope. and as koreaftw said, think positively be glad that you're not denied... i guess LOL

As for the UBC information, I haven't heard anything from it, except that one of my grade 10 buds (he's really smart btw.) didn't understand some concepts, especially in physics as some of the speakers are really specialized. He told me the more base foundation of knowledge you have coming in, the more you're gonna get outta this program. 
Was this helpful?
yes 0
13soccer13
I got waitlisted too. :-(   (I didn't think I stood a very good chance though as my teacher only just did the reference...)  I am currently a grade 10, so I don't know if I should bother with the waitlist.  Would I even get a schloarship or bursary if I was accepted?  Do you know when we would find out if we did get a spot?  Would you still get a good choice of campus?  Also, do you know about how many people got waitlisted?
Was this helpful?
yes 0
Gaspar
Posted: 7:02AM February 15, 2012 UTC
Kind of wondering about the waitlist too. 
I'm not sure but out of the 2011 reports, they had about 900 valid applicants with 500 accepted. Does that mean everyone else just gets waitlisted? Does anyone get denied?

Personally, I thought I stood a decent chance with a 93 average with decent references and intensive ECs. 
Guess my application wasn't solid enough. Admission must have been tough this year. 

Again, to rephrase a question that's already been asked, are scholarships/bursaries available to those waitlisted? 
Was this helpful?
yes 0
ninja2013
I got waitlisted too. I was wondering if anyone is from BC? My high school did not issue any first term marks as I am in grade 11. The office was only willing to sign a note on my app that due to the teacher job action, no marks are issued. I'm wondering if this may be a factor when looking at my app.
Was this helpful?
yes 0
hamster
I received an email yesterday saying that I am accepted:)
Does anyone know about the difference between campuses?
As for the waiting list, I have heard people in the past who was rejected.  So I think you should still give it a try~
Was this helpful?
yes 0
koreaftw
Ya, I'd think there'd be a clear difference between being wait-listed and being flat out rejected. I've found positivity always gets you somewhere... xP 

I would really appreciate firsthand experience from shads who attended the various campuses - what type of academic content will show up, what are some of the enjoyable activities, etc. ?  
Was this helpful?
yes 0
This post was deleted
hqamar
Woohoo. I got my acceptance email yesterday. Which campuses are you guys putting down as your top 3 choices?

These are mine:
1) UBC
2) McMaster
3) Queens

Also, just out of curiosity, where's everyone from? I'm from Mississauga, Ontario.
Was this helpful?
yes 0
Speria
I got my package in the mail today :)

Did anyone get a scholarship from Shad? Do they give them out now or do we find out later? 
Was this helpful?
yes 0
hqamar
Oh cool! What's in the package? I havent gotten mine yet.
Was this helpful?
yes 0
Speria
Campus selections, just basic registration details, forms, consent, etc.

Reading it over again, it seems scholarships are already assigned? Oh well, no scholarship for me but I think everyone from Ontario gets the scholarship/bursary. It's quite expensive though :(
Was this helpful?
yes 0
13soccer13
Yeah, my average was also a 93%, and I had a lot of extra-curriculars, volunteer experience, etc.  I also thought my written stuff was pretty good.  My only problem was the reference which I found out later from Cheryl that my teacher never did it...  It only just got sent in a couple of weeks ago...

How do they pick people for Shad?  I know someone else in my school who is in the same grade, and a French immersion/ IB student, and he got in.  My grades and extra-curriculars are overall better, and I can't see my essays or creative page being much worse...

Anyways, I am from Kingston, Ontario.
Was this helpful?
yes 0
koreaftw
That really sucks... for me, my teacher actually got an email telling him to send in the reference, and he sent it in a few days past the deadline - but fortunately I got accepted :)

I'm sure the process is similar to how universities would consider applications - have a certain cut-off based on grades/experience, and then the final decisions would come down to the quality of the essay, why shad, and the creative page submitted. 

From Markham...or essentially Toronto, Ontario. 
Really want to go to UBC, but my parents are only considering within Ontario. The expenses are a bit hefty. 
Was this helpful?
yes 0
hamster
@koreaftw wrote
That really sucks... for me, my teacher actually got an email telling him to send in the reference, and he sent it in a few days past the deadline - but fortunately I got accepted :)

I'm sure the process is similar to how universities would consider applications - have a certain cut-off based on grades/experience, and then the final decisions would come down to the quality of the essay, why shad, and the creative page submitted. 

From Markham...or essentially Toronto, Ontario. 
Really want to go to UBC, but my parents are only considering within Ontario. The expenses are a bit hefty. 

Hey, I am also from Markham!  Which school are you from?
Was this helpful?
yes 0
Gaspar
Do people just get flat out rejected?

I've never heard of anyone that's got rejected, although to be fair, those that are rejected probably wouldn't be enthusiastic enough searching for a forum. 

I think what happened is that rather than the strength of my application by itself, there were already 4 other people from my school going with way stronger averages. Like, we're talking 97, 98 overall. I was hoping my ECs and application would bring it up but my application probably didn't end up being as great as I projected it to be. 

Was this helpful?
yes 0
need2succeed
Posted: 7:02AM February 16, 2012 UTC
:D I got in too! I'm from Richmond Hill! Can't wait until summer!

But, yes, I know of one girl applying for 2012 who got flat out rejected. I was kind of surprised though, she is relatively smart (not outright genius, but still qualified). Damn, she must have really messed up her application. :S

My best guess is after they accept the first 500, they probably keep the next 100 or so on a waiting list. 
I'm certain they don't wait-list everyone.
Was this helpful?
yes 0
hqamar
As far as know, it isn't really your mark that gets you in. It's your personality and involvement i.e. basically, the non-academic part of your application.

I've HEARD of people with 88s and 89s getting in. Although I have yet to meet anyone who got in with those marks.

I'm in grade 11.

Something ALL past Shads say is that the activities at all the campuses are almost the same.
So the only reasons anyone would pick one university over the other would be:
Location (like UBC is really close to the beach) 
what the campus looks like (again UBC looks much better compared to some of the other campuses; I used to live in Vancouver and it's downright beautiful). 
Also you have to keep in mind other things each universities have to offer (like McMaster has it's own nuclear reactor - so one of the activities at that campus HAS to be a visit to the reactor. Same with other universities - they might have one or two activities that are unique just to THAT campus specifically - like some research facility or something).

Hope that helped!
And post your top 3 choices everyone!
Was this helpful?
yes 0
DY626
Here are my top 3 choices:
1. UBC
2. McMaster
3. Waterloo
As for location, I'm from Toronto, grade 11. 
Also, I'm wondering how they choose which campus you'll attend. Is it completely random?
Was this helpful?
yes 0
13soccer13
I just got an e-mail back from Cheryl regarding the waitlist...

"We will not know until mid-March how many accept, which will affect how far we can go into the waiting list to fill the program.  I should know more about your chances by the end of March.

Also, in mid-April we have a cutoff date for participants to let us know if they cannot go, which may result in a few more places becoming available.  After that date, places would only become available if a student were to withdraw for medical or family emergencies, something which cannot be predicted.

Regarding financial assistance, we did get your bursary request form.  At the time a placement is offered, we would review that information and let you know how much support you would qualify for.  That way you’d have all of the information needed to decide if you could accept or not."

Was this helpful?
yes 0
bouretteknm
Hey Everyone!  Ah!  So excited for summer!  Congratulations to everyone :)!  Just wondering if anyone understood how internships are given out/how many there are.... 

From Kingston Ontario by the way!
Was this helpful?
yes 0
aimango
Posted: 7:02AM February 17, 2012 UTC
Shad has come a long way, and from what I know they have less campuses now, which is probably why a lot of you are being waitlisted.  It's sad to hear. 

@mrhenryyu wrote
Well, don't lose hope. and as koreaftw said, think positively be glad that you're not denied... i guess LOL

As for the UBC information, I haven't heard anything from it, except that one of my grade 10 buds (he's really smart btw.) didn't understand some concepts, especially in physics as some of the speakers are really specialized. He told me the more base foundation of knowledge you have coming in, the more you're gonna get outta this program. 

i did shad in '08 and i was in grade 10. i will be honest with you, i barely remember what i learned, i just had an awesome time with people and the workshops were really cool. in terms of content, i definitely wish i went in with at least some grade 11 sci knowledge, but it wasn't a big deal. they do seem to encourage grade 11 kids to apply over any other grade. i would not recommend doing it after grade 12 since by this time you already chose where you want to go, what you want to study... shad is more of a program to understand how uni life might be and understand your options. 

@bouretteknm wrote
Hey Everyone!  Ah!  So excited for summer!  Congratulations to everyone :)!  Just wondering if anyone understood how internships are given out/how many there are.... 

From Kingston Ontario by the way!

The internships are from companies that sponsor Shad. You will go through a process where you decide what area you want to work in, and then you upload your resume. Companies in those areas look at all the Shad resumes, interview a handful, then decide on the 1 or 2 interns they want to take in. It's actually kinda competitive lol, I remember I had 2 rim interviews and 1 from a small tech company. didnt get any of the jobs unfortunately. oh well, it was nbd : P
Was this helpful?
yes 0
IvyHopeful
Posted: 7:02AM February 17, 2012 UTC
Hi everyone! (: 

I'm so excited for the summer! I just got the parent letter in the mail, but I haven't received the registration package yet. Should that be a cause for concern?

The letter states: "Full details and a registration form have already been sent separately," but I never received one. Along with that, Cheryl's email mentions that all Shad attendees should have their registration and information packages by today. So should I get in contact with administration?

By the way, I'm a grade 10 student from Mississauga, Ontario! (: 
Was this helpful?
yes 0
RossLC
Posted: 7:02AM February 18, 2012 UTC
Congrats to everyone who made it in!

For people who were asking, not everyone gets put on the waiting list. I have two other friends from my school that applied and one was put on the waiting list and the other wasn't accepted at all. My friend who was put on the waiting list knew some information about it. He said last year about 100 people from it were accepted after the deadline. 
I guess that were differ from year to year though, depending on the number of people who can't go.
To IvyHopeful, I didn't even receive an email, just the package. If you got an email saying that, it should be on its way soon, maybe it got delayed or something.

About campuses though, I know BC seems to be a popular one, so it's unlikely everyone that wants it will get in. If there are any alumnus who have any ideas about how to pick our 4'A's, 3'B's and 3'C's that'd be great.

And I'm a grade 11 student from Cambridge ON.
Was this helpful?
yes 0
ban1o
Posted: 7:02AM February 18, 2012 UTC
I got in from Waterloo Ontario. Around 8 people from my school got in and all our averages were below 95. (Our school is notorious for being tough. I believe the strength of the application matters more than the marks. I remember my friend from last year got accepted with almost all her grades in the eighties. However she worked very very hard on her essay and creative portion. Her essay was literally the best thing I had ever read. Those of you on the wait-list, don't worry. I know that a bunch of people end up not going because of the price.  Also, I think the scholarships have already gone out because I have I got a $1000 scholarship. 
The universities I'm applying to are: 

1. Laval
2. UBC
3. Queens
Was this helpful?
yes 0
Looking for the old community? Click here