Does the IB program really help wih admissions?

Anonymous
Posted: 7:03AM March 20, 2011 UTC
Hello there,

Does the IB program really help with admissions vs. having a high average in French Immersion?

Reason I'm asking this is because I live in Canada and from my perpective my French will help me through-out my career as compared to IB which only helps in Undergrad. I have turned down the IB offer...I really hope my decision is right.

So, will French Immersion help in Admissions at all? and what type of grades do I need to go to McGill and to U of T for Life/Health sciences?

I'm still in grade 10...so please do give me all the advide you have....to help me do my best....I don't want " you don't have an IB diploma, that's why you didn't get in" answer after two years.

Please advide and answer!!! 
Was this helpful?
yes 0
36 Responses
jessiexo
@bluebeach23 wrote
Hello there,

Does the IB program really help with admissions vs. having a high average in French Immersion?

Reason I'm asking this is because I live in Canada and from my perpective my French will help me through-out my career as compared to IB which only helps in Undergrad. I have turned down the IB offer...I really hope my decision is right.

So, will French Immersion help in Admissions at all? and what type of grades do I need to go to McGill and to U of T for Life/Health sciences?

I'm still in grade 10...so please do give me all the advide you have....to help me do my best....I don't want " you don't have an IB diploma, that's why you didn't get in" answer after two years.

Please advide and answer!!! 

Yes it does. Universities don't put it out openly but it is certainly true.  I (along with many) of my IB classmates have gotten acceptances from McGill. (I have 94.5% but people have gotten in with around 92%).  No one in academic at my school has gotten early acceptance yet, even if they have a 95% average.

Maybe not every university but McGill is certainly known for its love affair with IB.  The style of learning is also very similar to university and will prepare you very well.
Was this helpful?
yes 0
inthemaking
I graduated from IB, and in my experience, it does but not as much as people claim. 

If you're an Ontario resident and applying to Ontario universities, the translated marks will give your admission average a boost (eg. I got 100% in gr 12 biology because I received a 7 in IB bio and that translated to 96-100%). 
Was this helpful?
yes 0
Alwaysvip
^which high school did you go to?   
Was this helpful?
yes 0
NerdmobileDriver
Posted: 7:03AM March 21, 2011 UTC
@jessiexo wrote
 I (along with many) of my IB classmates have gotten acceptances from McGill. (I have 94.5% but people have gotten in with around 92%).  No one in academic at my school has gotten early acceptance yet, even if they have a 95% average.

That may have happened at your school, but I got into commerce on March 1 with a 94 average (academic). Granted, science may be a bit different (although, the cut-off for life sci is only .5 higher...), but I don't think not being IB translates to not having a shot at early admission.

OP: I think you should stick with french immersion because if you're average is high enough, it won't matter if you're IB or not. I don't think french immersion will particularly help you with admissions either, but it's definitely a huge plus for you (in life) if you speak french as it never hurts to know another language. 
Was this helpful?
yes 0
andrewk512
<br>Yes it does. Universities don't put it out openly but it is certainly true.  I (along with many) of my IB classmates have gotten acceptances from McGill. (I have 94.5% but people have gotten in with around 92%).  No one in academic at my school has gotten early acceptance yet, even if they have a 95% average.<br><br>
I disagree. Anyone with those types of averages will get accepted to McGill early, IB or not. All my 90%+ non-IB friends have been given early admission.
Was this helpful?
yes 0
moodeline
Well, I have plenty of opinions about this, I think taking IB is the best decision I have ever made. My best friend is in French immersion, so bluebeach23 if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

And McGill is the LEAST friendly IB school in the country, they do not consider your predicteds, they instead look at your school percentage grades and view for example IB History 12 as the same as History 12, and a 90 in IBH12 as equal to a 90 in H12.
Was this helpful?
yes 0
inthemaking
@Alwaysvip wrote
^which high school did you go to?   

St Robert CHS
Was this helpful?
yes 0
Anonymous
@NerdmobileDriver wrote

@jessiexo wrote
 I (along with many) of my IB classmates have gotten acceptances from McGill. (I have 94.5% but people have gotten in with around 92%).  No one in academic at my school has gotten early acceptance yet, even if they have a 95% average.

That may have happened at your school, but I got into commerce on March 1 with a 94 average (academic). Granted, science may be a bit different (although, the cut-off for life sci is only .5 higher...), but I don't think not being IB translates to not having a shot at early admission.

OP: I think you should stick with french immersion because if you're average is high enough, it won't matter if you're IB or not. I don't think french immersion will particularly help you with admissions either, but it's definitely a huge plus for you (in life) if you speak french as it never hurts to know another language. 

thank you, thats a good answer...
Was this helpful?
yes 0
Anonymous
Thank you all for your wonderful answers:) 

Can you all give me some advice for the last two years of HS....any advice you can think of...and did any of you go to Turner Fenton?? ( in Brampton)

Thx and Congrats to who got accepted :)
Was this helpful?
yes 0
Anonymous
Posted: 7:03AM March 22, 2011 UTC
Just like AP and A-Level (British system), IB only gives you an advantage if you do well. Having the IB moniker on all your courses is worthless if your average isn't high.

But certainly, someone with 40+ IB points has a significant advantage over someone with a 95 avg in regular provincial courses.
Was this helpful?
yes 0
Bikiro
Advice: Get off these forums and chill out. Enjoy your remaining highschool days and its freedom. University consists of hard work and high rates of failure. My undergraduate program (science) will have a 30% drop out in first year.
Was this helpful?
yes 0
Anonymous
@Bikiro wrote
Advice: Get off these forums and chill out. Enjoy your remaining highschool days and its freedom. University consists of hard work and high rates of failure. My undergraduate program (science) will have a 30% drop out in first year.

30% drpout???? thats crazy...well thx for the advice...but I'd rather work hard cause the competition for U of T and Mcgill sciences are beyond measures :( 
Was this helpful?
yes 0
unibro15
Posted: 7:03AM March 25, 2011 UTC
I know people that had an 85% percentage average in IB, applied to programs where the recommended average was high 80s and got early acceptances in the starting of Feb, so yes it does help. 
Was this helpful?
yes 0
Jack555
Posted: 7:03AM March 27, 2011 UTC
@unibro15 wrote
I know people that had an 85% percentage average in IB, applied to programs where the recommended average was high 80s and got early acceptances in the starting of Feb, so yes it does help. 

You do realize that if they werent in IB they couldve gotten high 80s if not 90s?
Was this helpful?
yes 0
viramay
Posted: 7:03AM March 31, 2011 UTC
As an IB student, I don't think IB actually helps very much if you're applying to Canadian universities, especially Ontario ones.

However, IB does certainly help if you're applying to US/UK unis. 
Was this helpful?
yes 0
Konn2011
Posted: 7:04AM April 01, 2011 UTC
@viramay wrote
As an IB student, I don't think IB actually helps very much if you're applying to Canadian universities, especially Ontario ones.

However, IB does certainly help if you're applying to US/UK unis. 

As machoTS said, IB only gives you an advantage if you do well, especially if you are in an Ontario IB school. That's because they agreed on some ridiculous translation scheme between IB grades and Ont marks. I say ridiculous because it's favourable to IB students. For example, the top IB grade is 7, which you can get if your final IB mark is at least 85% (varies by subjects). Now, the scheme would then translate the 7 to an Ont mark of at least 96%. (Your teacher will then determine the final mark, between 96 and 100, to give you). The ridiculous part comes in if your Ont mark is say 86%, but you get an IB grade 7. Overnight, your new Ontario mark will be bumped up to at least 96%. Fair? No. How do I know? It happened to me :cheers:    In that sense, it DOES help with your uni apps, simply because your avg is now waaaay up.

As for US uni's, they absolutely don't care about IB. Your SAT scores, class rank, and ECs are the only things that matter. IB does help a little bit because it is counted, alongside AP's, as a challenging high school program.

To the OP, make sure you're disciplined and comfortable with working looong hours. The EE (extended essay) bascially wrecked my summer. Also, if you think you need three sci or arts subjects, then make sure you take one of them during summers. Using physics as an example, you will need to take gr 11 phys in your gr 10 summer, and gr 12 in your gr 11 summer. 
Was this helpful?
yes 0
ghana1994
Posted: 7:04AM April 27, 2011 UTC
French immersion is a good idea!
Unlike US universities, Canadian universities are not biased to international IB students.
Was this helpful?
yes 0
SUMmer123456
Posted: 7:04AM April 27, 2011 UTC
Yeah, it does. One of my friends failed all his IB exams, but he still got into Harvard because of his copious amounts of IB-ness.
Was this helpful?
yes 0
excitedloon
Posted: 7:05AM May 01, 2011 UTC
For Canadian schools, IB does not give you a huge advantage in my opinion. I am a French Immersion student in Grade 12 and received admission into McGill's bio/life sciences, commerce, and engineering the very first day they started offering early admission back in early February. Also, I've gotten in to every school I've applied to and I'm not IB; I'm a French Immersion student.

Any other questions? Let me know or PM me :)
Was this helpful?
yes 0
Emaad13
Posted: 7:05AM May 01, 2011 UTC
Doing IB does not assure you a clear advantage over others for most universities, but it does for some universities (U of T, McGill just to name a couple)!

IB does help you to be prepared for university, all of the workload, and ability to absorb new topics and
subjects very quickly! it's the IB lifestyle which helps the ability to
succeed in university (unless you slacked in IB too)!
Was this helpful?
yes 0
devi
Posted: 7:05AM May 02, 2011 UTC
no it does not help at all. anyone who says it does is in the IB program and is just clueless. universities do not care at all and it is easier to get into university from a regular curriculum.  it will not give you an advantage once you get into university either, the regular curriculum should teach you everything you need to know as long as the teacher isn't an idiot. (IB may prepare you to have a better work ethic because from what I've heard there's just simply more material) but even then you can just adjust once you get to university...

Was this helpful?
yes 0
Emaad13
@devi wrote
no it does not help at all. anyone who says it does is in the IB program and is just clueless. universities do not care at all and it is easier to get into university from a regular curriculum.  it will not give you an advantage once you get into university either, the regular curriculum should teach you everything you need to know as long as the teacher isn't an idiot. (IB may prepare you to have a better work ethic because from what I've heard there's just simply more material) but even then you can just adjust once you get to university...

That's basically something someone NOT in IB would say. 

Although it does not give you an advantage over others in getting into universities most of the time, it definitely will help you IN university (according to experience from people who did IB and are currently in university, including U of T, the toughest university).

In IB, the workload is tougher than in non-IB systems, especially considering that the number of courses per semester are the same with both systems (IB and non-IB). That said, in university the workload is much more than what you would expect, considering the number of courses we have to take per term or semester. 

Yes, just because you're not in IB, it doesn't mean you are stupid and useless, you may do very well and better than a lot of IB students, but the reason people don't do well in university is because they are not taught how to handle the excess workload and to focus on work consistently. This is common with many non-IB students. IB students are adapted to this style of work, and therefore, are easily adapted into the University style of education. Non-IB students will not understand what I am talking about until they actually get into university.

Like I said, You may still do very well, especially if you're work ethic is great and you can handle a massive workload...but that is something that you have been able to learn and do on your own, and you may be luckier than many other students who do not work as hard, and do cannot handle university style education. This is because they are not taught how to do so in High School, but have to adapt independently in university, as a freshman, in a new school, which is EXTREMELY HARD TO DO. 

IB Students do not have to go through this hassle to adapt to university.

I am not pulling all of this information out of my behind, I have gotten a lot of advice from people, both IB and non-IB, that are now in university, and also people on studentawards forum. IB definitely helps, even though it is so grueling, as it will pay off eventually in university. 
Was this helpful?
yes 0
Emaad13
and yes...there are people who loaft in IB too, and just breeze through the program without focusing and trying... I know people like that, so there are IB students who end up messing up in university too, its all about WORKING HARD and being FOCUSED. If this is done in university, it will also be repeated in university, translating to success! 
Was this helpful?
yes 0
LXY
@Emaad13 wrote
and yes...there are people who loaft in IB too, and just breeze through the program without focusing and trying... I know people like that, so there are IB students who end up messing up in university too, its all about WORKING HARD and being FOCUSED. If this is done in university, it will also be repeated in university, translating to success! 

I think we are arguing two different things. 
1) you're saying that people can work hard in uni, regardless of IB or not
2) we're arguing that historically, there has been a larger group of IB students(percentage wise) who have stayed in uni, or even gotten higher marks, when compared tho that of the regular system. I think the university retention rate is some 20% higher than people from the regular system. 

We agree that it is all about WORKING HARD and being FOCUSED. However, whether or not the student is IB is secondary to this. We're just saying that for the most part, IB students TEND to work harder and are more focused than others. It is by no means a law, but a trend. 

Furthermore, I'd like to present an alternative viewpoint on the question of IB during admissions. The admissions committee is charged with finding the most suitable candidates for university. Therefore, they are supposed to find students who would succeed. Although technically they are not supposed to differentiate between IB and normal marks, don't you think that they could tell? I mean if the stats show that the average IB student has a higher chance of succeeding than a normal student, don't you think they will choose the IB student? I agree that there are programs in which admitted students are completely chosen by a computer, but even then you can program it. Universities are all trying to find students to make them famous. I'm sure although they don't say it, there is SOMETHING that goes on in SOME universities which favors IB students. 

Although I won't disclose details, I'll say that there are conferences between the universities and our guidance counselors to discuss.. things...

I go to a mediocre IB school in Ontario. So far, with the exception of one person(who didn't apply), EVERYONE has gotten into a university. I'm sitting on 8 offers out of 9 applications myself=), and I am only above average(still waiting for mac healthsci=)).

I'd like to hear your comments.  
Was this helpful?
yes 0
LXY
Furthermore, how bad would it sound if a Canadian official were to get up on stage and admit: "an education system created in Switzerland that has been introduced here has been compared to our own and found much more effective. Our curriculum making skills are completely not in the same class." 

Of course it would be terrible. That's why we have you believing that they're seen as equals=). 
Was this helpful?
yes 0
Looking for the old community? Click here