yconic - APs?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

APs?

A photo of Nyx Nyx
I don't know if i should write the AP exams in May. I haven't taken any AP courses, so i'll have to study on my own. I can take Bio, Chem, Physics B and Calc AB

Pros:
- I can, if i want, skip a whole semester of uni
- saves money
- if i don't use the transfer credits, i'll still be more prepared, and that would mean a higher GPA
- higher GPA = better shot at med school
- might have time to study for MCATs in 1st year

Cons:
- It'll be a lot of studying in 4 months
- I haven't taken calculus yet, and that might make it harder to do calc AB
- I took physics in night school, since my school doesn't offer it. I'll have no one to ask questions if i don't understand something
- It might turn out to be a waste of time and money if i don't get at least a 4

So what do you think?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
I wouldn't do it if I were you. I think most of them are challenging enough with the course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah

@Nyx wrote
I don't know if i should write the AP exams in May. I haven't taken any AP courses, so i'll have to study on my own. I can take Bio, Chem, Physics B and Calc AB

Pros:
- I can, if i want, skip a whole semester of uni
- saves money
- if i don't use the transfer credits, i'll still be more prepared, and that would mean a higher GPA
- higher GPA = better shot at med school
- might have time to study for MCATs in 1st year

Cons:
- It'll be a lot of studying in 4 months
- I haven't taken calculus yet, and that might make it harder to do calc AB
- I took physics in night school, since my school doesn't offer it. I'll have no one to ask questions if i don't understand something
- It might turn out to be a waste of time and money if i don't get at least a 4

So what do you think?

Well, it would be really hard to do all four. You mentioned that it might be hard to pull off the calc and physics exams, so if you want to try chem and bio, go ahead. Taking those two exams and studying by yourself would still be a pretty big challenge. There are obviously pro's to taking AP courses (as you mentioned above).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chemistry Chemistry
Keep in mind that some universities limit how many credits you're allowed to get using AP. I have numerous AP credits for example but U of T only allows me to use 3 of them at most.

You mentioned the MCATs and med school so I'm going to assume that it's your main goal. Some med schools require credits in calculus, physics, chemistry, and biology. However, some of them also do not allow AP credits to fulfill said requirements. So, your university might make you take first year physics, but you might skip it using AP Physics. However, if you take no future physics courses, a medical school that requires you to actually take the course in university might be closed off to you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
Take the AP course, do the exam is you want since it might make your application look better but don't use the credit in university, take the actual course in university. AP courses are overrated but do prepare you in some sense for university material
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
If you want/need the extra credit, go for it. If you don't there really is no point... your fate will have been determined by then.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
Hmm, those are all really good points.
I think i'll give the bio and chem exams a shot and i'll see if i can do the calc and phy stuff. I wont take the credits though, for university, since i won't have any lab experience or anything.

Oh and do i know U of T doesn't give out a lot of transfer credits, but Mcgill kind of forces you to take them, so we'll see.

Thanks everyone!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LisaWan LisaWan
I know I should be helping you, but I have a question related to AP courses. For high school AP courses~ how can you take it without taking summer school completion courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chemistry Chemistry

@LisaWan wrote
I know I should be helping you, but I have a question related to AP courses. For high school AP courses~ how can you take it without taking summer school completion courses?

What do you mean? If you mean actually taking the course, some high schools offer a selection of AP courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of clairec21 clairec21

@LisaWan wrote

In my school you take the regular course and just read the AP material and do the questions as extra. So you're still getting the regular credit if that answers your question. Although I'm in AP European History and not a science/math one, and my school only offers two AP courses. But I think schools who offer many AP courses do it in a similar way.

Oh yes, I also do the AP material all year instead of in one semester, so no summer school is needed for the regular course or AP.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@LisaWan wrote

wut x2

Do you mean AP courses that align with provincially examinable courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
Didn't you make this thread once already
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx

@Qq wrote
Didn't you make this thread once already

no
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of luckybee luckybee
it depends on how comfortable you are with the subject matter. even if you dont take the course you should be fine, just do all the practice questions and exams that are on the collegeboard website. also remember that it is hard to get the score you need to get credit. they curve the scores and since collegeboard is a company and universities lose money from people getting AP credit, they try to make it as difficult as possible and cut a lot of people out using bell curve.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I say if your legitimately interested in a higher understanding of those fields than go for it! If your willing to spend your time, effort, and a little bit of money (for study guides etc.) than I think its worth it.

AP can be quiet interesting!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shannonannabel shannonannabel
just double check before you choose to take the exam whether or not universities will accept the credit.
I took calc and physics, but my program at the university of toronto doesn't accept credits for either of these.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leahquin leahquin
Go for the exams. If you do badly, you can pretend it never happened.
Was this helpful? Yes 0