yconic - Class of 2012 - Where Do You WANT To Be??
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Class of 2012 - Where Do You WANT To Be??

A photo of Lemontart Lemontart
It's kind of early to post this, but.. IT IS FINALLY OUR YEAR!!!
Excited? :cheers: Nervous?:bom:

Just curious, which unversity and which program do you guys want to be in?
ARE YOU GUYS READY FOR GRADE 12?????

Was this helpful? Yes 0
170 replies

A photo of Goodman Goodman
I've narrowed it to.
UBC- Bsc Psychology
Queens- Ba Psychology
Western- Ba Psychology (Criminology)
McGill- Ba Psychology

I am still researching which universities offer criminal/forensic psychology majors.
Western seem to be a top choice as it is a top tiered school with a criminology program.

I'm nervous and excited and hopeful. I'm taking Adv Function. Calculas and Vectors. Physics. Law. Two Dramas (required). Musical Theatre. And English (online to give me a spare). That could change, because if I don't want to go to the Bsc Program I wont need the physics. I'll still keep my maths to keep the skills sharp for data analysis, but I won't need to the science (even though I enjoy it).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gassergasser gassergasser
I have been lurking these forums since November, and finally it is almost our time to get all stressed about university.

I am nervous about advanced functions because I hear its hard. I'm also debating whether I should take calculus or not.

I hope to get into Brock or Carleton for accounting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of jelly jelly
I'm planning to go into architecture, civil engineering, or electrical engineering, preference in that order. Applying to probably every major university that offers architecture, and for engineering: mac, waterloo, queens and UofT. Not the most artistically-inclined person but I have been practicing for a number of years. Lacking confidence in the portfolio department but I'm fairly confident in marks and what not. I took AF in second semester and it was a breeze. English in summer school is going well so far, and next year I'm looking at physics, chemistry, philosophy, calculus, data, and one random social science. Probably law or politics. Looking damn forward to two spares and I think applications and acceptances will be such an amazing experience overall, even if I don't get into every school. Any other suggestions for a random, interesting, preferably easy course?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Yes!! I knew someone was going to start this thread! Thanks Lemontart!

Well, I'm not sure what university I want to go to, but I plan to visit their open houses in the fall. Meanwhile, I'm considering the following universities:

Waterloo-Arts and Business
York-Digital Media
McMaster-Humanities
U of T- Communication, Culture, and Information Technology (CCIT)
Ryerson-Image Arts (New Media)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Respects wrote
I'll say one thing. Visit the universities beforehand. I was deadset on going to York. Changed my mind after going to Mac and even considered Waterloo(my ultimate last choice which became one of my top choices).

Hey Respects, Can I ask you what made you change your mind to Mac? Was it the campus? Or the people? Or something else?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
Where do I WANT to be? Out of university with a Doctor's Degree, and in a high-paying, satisfying job, where timing is very flexible. Hahaha.

Edit: Actually, I want to be up in heaven. LOL, I knew you were asking it to the class of 2012, but I guarantee this is what most of them want. :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@superstar2011 wrote
Where do I WANT to be? Out of university with a Doctor's Degree, and in a high-paying, satisfying job, where timing is very flexible. Hahaha.

Edit: Actually, I want to be up in heaven. LOL, I knew you were asking it to the class of 2012, but I guarantee this is what most of them want. :cheers:

lol:compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PiggyFlavoredPocky PiggyFlavoredPocky
Hopefully International Relations at UTSG.
Hope I get into Trin. :puke:
I think I'll be able to end with a 90 average.. but what if I get an 88/89.
OH GOD.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HeroOfCanton HeroOfCanton

@PiggyFlavoredPocky wrote
OH GOD.

Don't worry about getting into Trinity. The median entering average is about 92, but if people are getting in with 95s and higher, then people can get in with high 80s, too. And you don't need to get into Trinity to study IR. The other colleges are also good, and could even be better, depending on what you're looking for.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PiggyFlavoredPocky PiggyFlavoredPocky

@HeroOfCanton wrote

@PiggyFlavoredPocky wrote
OH GOD.

Don't worry about getting into Trinity. The median entering average is about 92, but if people are getting in with 95s and higher, then people can get in with high 80s, too. And you don't need to get into Trinity to study IR. The other colleges are also good, and could even be better, depending on what you're looking for.

Ah, thank goodness. Less stress at least. I had a mini freak out because I got an 85 in ENG4U after I fast tracked it this semester. My second choice would be UC at Morrison Hall, which looks physically better to me, but I have to admit I'm buying into this whole prestige thing. Though, all the kids from Trin seem to be really cool on forums and Facebook, something I don't see with many other colleges. :cheers:
Since you're in the program, I'm wondering, could you give me a link to somewhere with more information on the program? That Trinity website for IR barely gives anything. :[
I was wondering if I'm able to specialize in IR PACS if I took 2 classes each year in university, Chinese and Japanese, which would leave me 3 spots for needed classes?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm just really excited, lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of brebells brebells
I'm doing a fifth year so I've already graduated, BUT I'M EXCITED TO STRESS WITH YOU GUYS TOO :).

My dream school has always been Queen's, and I really, really, really want to go there to get my B.A.
My second choice is UofT Trinity for the same thing.

And to the person worrying about adv func., I took it last year, it's not bad at all. Just do your homework. Our class average was 80%.

All the best to you guys!! See you around in the Stress Therapy forums hahahaa~
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jelly wrote
I'm planning to go into architecture, civil engineering, or electrical engineering, preference in that order. Applying to probably every major university that offers architecture, and for engineering: mac, waterloo, queens and UofT. Not the most artistically-inclined person but I have been practicing for a number of years. Lacking confidence in the portfolio department but I'm fairly confident in marks and what not. I took AF in second semester and it was a breeze. English in summer school is going well so far, and next year I'm looking at physics, chemistry, philosophy, calculus, data, and one random social science. Probably law or politics. Looking damn forward to two spares and I think applications and acceptances will be such an amazing experience overall, even if I don't get into every school. Any other suggestions for a random, interesting, preferably easy course?

Hey I wanted to go into architecture as well, but my portfolio was bad. Make sure to do some art classes. The portfolio counts a lot, and sometimes more then your makrs. Focus on it a lot. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly

@gurkang wrote

@jelly wrote

Hey I wanted to go into architecture as well, but my portfolio was bad. Make sure to do some art classes. The portfolio counts a lot, and sometimes more then your makrs. Focus on it a lot. :)

Thanks. I've actually been doing art classes for ten years or so. Problem is I've been focusing on a variety of mediums (colour-wise) such as watercolours, oils, acrylics, pencil crayons, pastels, etc. rather than learning more about the actual sketching.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@gurkang wrote

That's something I've been wondering (I once considered going into engineering, some interest in architecture too). What are they looking for in the portfolios? Just art sketches? Are they looking for any home designs? Would they be just free-hand sketches, hand-drafted, or using a CAD program or a home-design software? What about mechanical drawings? Is there some sort of ratio? (That's a lot of questions)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725

@Goodman wrote
I've narrowed it to.
UBC- Bsc Psychology
Queens- Ba Psychology
McGill- Ba Psychology

I also want to do psychology/criminology. Or commerce. Or maybe French. Haha I'm not really sure at this point, I pretty much change my mind on a daily basis. Just keep me away from anything physics/chemistry related and I'll be happy lol. All I know for sure is that I want to go to QUEEN'S!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Respects wrote
econnected Mac was a perfect compromise. Has a good reputation and is an in-between school in terms of partying and studying. There are lots of parties and lots of places to study. A lot of people commute but there are still lots of people on residence and the atmosphere is friendly. The campus looks nice too. It's close to Toronto but not in Toronto to be classified as a commuter school, so it has a traditional university experience. People wise, it is a very multicultural university so you can meet all kinds of people there. I guess my biggest thing was not to go to a commuter school because I wanted the entire university experience but the university had to be multicultural too. Also GPA wise, at Mac I heard if you put in the work, you get the marks. Something I'll need to go to law school.

I applied to York, Waterloo and Ryerson same as you. After visiting Ryerson I realized I should not have even applied there in the first place because it doesn't have a real campus. It's kind of integrated into downtown Toronto and most people take the train there.

Thank you sooooooooo much. This is the kind of information I needed since I'm still debating which university is the best choice for me. Mac sounds great, but the only factor keeping me away from it is that the uni itself is known for the sciences and not humanities, or the like. What I like though about Mac is that I can do a double major (multimedia & communication studies) , which is not possible at York for digital media. Anyways, thanks for your great input!..:compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@cherrypie725 wrote

@Goodman wrote
I've narrowed it to.
UBC- Bsc Psychology
Queens- Ba Psychology
McGill- Ba Psychology

I also want to do psychology/criminology. Or commerce. Or maybe French. Haha I'm not really sure at this point, I pretty much change my mind on a daily basis. Just keep me away from anything physics/chemistry related and I'll be happy lol. All I know for sure is that I want to go to QUEEN'S!

Good luck with applying to Queen's! Make sure you polish your supplementaries though, they are super important for Queen's. I've also heard that an 87+ average is a must if you want your application to be reviewed at all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725

@superstar2011 wrote
Good luck with applying to Queen's! Make sure you polish your supplementaries though, they are super important for Queen's. I've also heard that an 87+ average is a must if you want your application to be reviewed at all.

Thanks for the advice :) Thankfully I already have 3 4U courses completed with 95+, so next year I guess I will have to keep that up to get into a top program like QC. I'll probably just end up applying to arts programs though lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Goodman Goodman

@superstar2011 wrote

@cherrypie725 wrote

@Goodman wrote
I've narrowed it to.
UBC- Bsc Psychology
Queens- Ba Psychology
McGill- Ba Psychology

I had a 90 average in grade 11 which I should be able to bump up in 12. Currently taking ENG 4U online. Aiming for atleast a ninety.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cuiter23 Cuiter23

@Goodman wrote
I've narrowed it to.
UBC- Bsc Psychology
Queens- Ba Psychology
McGill- Ba Psychology

I am still researching which universities offer criminal/forensic psychology majors.
Western seem to be a top choice as it is a top tiered school with a criminology program.

I'm nervous and excited and hopeful. I'm taking Adv Function. Calculas and Vectors. Physics. Law. Two Dramas (required). Musical Theatre. And English (online to give me a spare). That could change, because if I don't want to go to the Bsc Program I wont need the physics. I'll still keep my maths to keep the skills sharp for data analysis, but I won't need to the science (even though I enjoy it).

I believe that UBC's psych program is a BA. Not a BSc. Not sure if they offer a BSc for psych as well though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jelly wrote

@gurkang wrote

@jelly wrote

Thanks. I've actually been doing art classes for ten years or so. Problem is I've been focusing on a variety of mediums (colour-wise) such as watercolours, oils, acrylics, pencil crayons, pastels, etc. rather than learning more about the actual sketching.

Alright, you should be good then. Good luck :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jelly wrote

@gurkang wrote

@jelly wrote

Alright, you should be good then. Good luck :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0