yconic - # of people who apply for scholarships
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

# of people who apply for scholarships

A photo of future future
What exactly is that? I've never heard of it, and cannot seem to find information on it either. :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0
19 replies

A photo of honeycomb7 honeycomb7
What exactly is that? I've never heard of it, and cannot seem to find information on it either. :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of scbloom scbloom
Some scholarships that are not well known may not get awarded due to lack of applicants who either do not meet the criteria or for lack of people applying for them. Others that are well known have many applicants and the chances are lower of being awarded them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of excitedloon excitedloon
It really depends on the scholarship. For example, the Loran Award - a national scholarship renewable at several different universities across Canada - has approximately 3500 to 4000 applicants a year. So it's safe to say other awards that aren't national and aren't renewable at multiple different schools have less applicants. Also, since the value of the Loran is so high, it might get more applicants as well whereas a $5000 award might not.

Hope that helps. Also, that's just my view on this; I could be totally wrong! (hopefully not though)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of meryn meryn
The more specific the criteria is, the less people apply and the more likely you are to get the award. Apply, even if you only fit some of the criteria! You never know when no one else will apply...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bilibarlah bilibarlah
It really depends on the motivation the person has for applying for scholarships; the number of people applying for scholarships vary depending on how hard it is to get it or not and sometimes it just depends on a persons motivation to actually write and send the application in. Like everyone has said before it can depend on the criteria and how famous it is. Hope it helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Idil222 Idil222
yup it depends on the motivation of the people...if too many people are lazy, not that much people will apply, making your chances of winning the scholarship higher.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dijcan dijcan
I agree on motivation part.

Though it is also important to target scholarships that have criteria,which most closely matches to one's personal goals. Otherwise a lot of time can be spent on different scholarships, without paying enough attention to scholarshoips that are important and can be easily achieved.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Just make sure to apply for as many scholarships as you can, and like was recommended insure that you find specific scholarships.

Best of luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jesspauselli jesspauselli
I agree, apply apply apply and you're bound to get lucky, even if they are not alot of money, alot of small scholarships add up to one large sum of money
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Majjfacee Majjfacee
Does anyone know of any scholarships that aren't very well known? Like can you please provide me with examples? :scratch:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of luigimario luigimario
a friend of mine told me about a friend in his college. the guy applied for a native women's scholarship and even though he didn't fit the criteria, he got it because he was the only person that applied. just keep trying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
My awards and financial aid rep at my school told me the same thing, whats the worse that can happen if you apply to everything....they say no...but what happens if someone else doesn't apply...you get it :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nikkishuvera nikkishuvera
im applying to so many random scholarships, and you should to. the more you apply the greater your chances are of getting one, even if its just 100$ every little amount counts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anne1993 Anne1993
A representative from a university once came to our school saying that a lot of people don't even apply cause they think they wont get anything, but really you're not losing anything by applying, maybe a few hours or so,possibly more. But if you dont apply, you have NO chances.
APPLY APPLY APPLY!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of veronicacho92 veronicacho92
I second that! There is no harm in applying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Keylee12 Keylee12
I agree that everyone should take the time to apply. Best case is that you get something extra that you weren't counting on to help and the worst is that you are told no.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Marvel49 Marvel49
Don't let a high number discourage you. The guidance councilors at my school always stress that thousand of dollars are left untouched every year because no one applied.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of junefukumura junefukumura
I have a friend who won a scholarship because she was the only one who applied for it!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dimitarlk dimitarlk
Yea, I've also heard of a case where a male student applied for a female sports scholarship, and won because he was the only applicant.
Was this helpful? Yes 0