yconic - U of T & Vic One Questions!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

U of T & Vic One Questions!

A photo of crossyourfingers crossyourfingers
Does anybody know if the amount of courses you're supposed to be taking first year as a full time student is 5?

Also, for anyone has applied/been accepted to Vic One, do you know if the two seminar courses that you're going to be enrolled in count as full credits or half credits?

Thank you all! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of clairec21 clairec21
You can tell by the course code. If there's an H at the end, it means a half year credit. If it ends in a Y, it's a full year credit.
For example, this is a half credit course:
VIC 184H

Since you're in the Ryerson stream, your courses are VIC 150Y and VIC 151Y, which means they are both year long and are worth one credit each.

I'll be in Vic One as well, but the Pearson stream :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@clairec21 wrote
You can tell by the course code. If there's an H at the end, it means a half year credit. If it ends in a Y, it's a full year credit.
VIC 184H

Since you're in the Ryerson stream, your courses are VIC 150Y and VIC 151Y, which means they are both year long and are worth one credit each.

Congratulations on getting into Vic One! :) I read about the Pearson stream before applying and it looked very interesting, as did most of the other steams. You must be looking forward to it! Did you apply for residence in the Vic One house in lower burwash?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of monkey245 monkey245

@crossyourfingers wrote
Does anybody know if the amount of courses you're supposed to be taking first year as a full time student is 5?

Yes (five full courses, so you'll be in five per semester whether they're half or full year), and all through your undergrad as far as I know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@crossyourfingers wrote

@clairec21 wrote
VIC 184H

Congratulations on getting into Vic One! :) I read about the Pearson stream before applying and it looked very interesting, as did most of the other steams. You must be looking forward to it! Did you apply for residence in the Vic One house in lower burwash?

Thanks, congrats to you as well!
Yes, I applied to live in the Vic One house. Lower Burwash was my favourite rez so I thought it would improve my chances of getting it. How about you?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@clairec21 wrote

@crossyourfingers wrote

@clairec21 wrote
VIC 184H

Yes, I applied to live in the Vic One house. Lower Burwash was my favourite rez so I thought it would improve my chances of getting it. How about you?

Same here. Hopefully we get it, it's a beautiful residence.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@crossyourfingers wrote

@clairec21 wrote

@crossyourfingers wrote

@clairec21 wrote
VIC 184H

Yeah, I just hope everyone isn't always studying and too academically-focused. That was my one hesitation about applying to live in the Vic One rez.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of colakid123 colakid123
Vic One has its own residence (sorry for the ignorance)? Do Trinity One (or any of the other "one" programs) have that?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@colakid123 wrote
Vic One has its own residence (sorry for the ignorance)? Do Trinity One (or any of the other "one" programs) have that?

That's alright!
Yep, if you're a Vic student in Vic One you get top priority in certain houses in a rez (Lower Burwash).
I'm not sure if Trin One or any other programs do that, I guess it would say on their sites.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of colakid123 colakid123

@clairec21 wrote

@colakid123 wrote

That's alright!
Yep, if you're a Vic student in Vic One you get top priority in certain houses in a rez (Lower Burwash).
I'm not sure if Trin One or any other programs do that, I guess it would say on their sites.

So it's priority, not an exclusively Vic One res, right? And it didn't say anything so I guess they don't.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@colakid123 wrote

@clairec21 wrote

@colakid123 wrote

That's alright!

So it's priority, not an exclusively Vic One res, right? And it didn't say anything so I guess they don't.

I think how it works is that they see how many Vic One students want to live there and then fill the rest with whoever else requests it. Not 100% sure though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@clairec21 wrote

@crossyourfingers wrote

@clairec21 wrote

@crossyourfingers wrote

@clairec21 wrote
VIC 184H

Yeah, I just hope everyone isn't always studying and too academically-focused. That was my one hesitation about applying to live in the Vic One rez.

That's actually quite ironic that you say so because I actually felt the same way! I had to actually think about it for a while, and at first I thought I wasn't going to apply to it. I was worried about feeling isolated or not being able to find a balance; however, seeing as both of us felt that way apparently it is somewhat evident we will be able to find people who will be searching for a balance as well.. which will be nice if it does turn out to be the way you and I anticipated! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@clairec21 wrote

@colakid123 wrote

@clairec21 wrote

@colakid123 wrote

That's alright!

I think how it works is that they see how many Vic One students want to live there and then fill the rest with whoever else requests it. Not 100% sure though.

The residence operations assistant told me that not all Vic One students actually even get into the Vic One house in Lower Burwash or in Lower Burwash at all for that matter, due to its high demand. It apparently runs on a lottery system.

Lower Burwash is apparently highly sought after since it's known to be the most Oxford-esque of the Vic residences. I'm not sure if this is true, but I read that apparently a majority of the students who get in are upper year students.

I used to think that Lower Burwash was mostly filled of Vic One students, and then filled by other students if there were any spaces left, but I looked at the floor plan and read about Lower Burwash and I presume that my assumption is wrong. In Lower Burwash the Bowles-Gandier House is the the Vic One house or "Living Learning Community", and the only house on campus separated by year and program (Vic One, first year). From the looks of it, the rest of Lower Burwash isn't separated by this "designated Vic One area."

As far as I know about Trin One having something like this, I don't think that it does. I haven't been able to find anything. Although, I'm almost positive that every residence does have some sort of Living Learning Community set up for first years so that students can live and meet with others who share the same interests. I have seen them advertised on a lot of things.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@crossyourfingers wrote

That's actually quite ironic that you say so because I actually felt the same way! I had to actually think about it for a while, and at first I thought I wasn't going to apply to it. I was worried about feeling isolated or not being able to find a balance; however, seeing as both of us felt that way apparently it is somewhat evident we will be able to find people who will be searching for a balance as well.. which will be nice if it does turn out to be the way you and I anticipated! :)

Yay, I'm so relieved, haha. Yeah, I totally agree about a balance. I understand that studying is important, but at the same time, I love to have a good time and go out on weekends.

@crossyourfingers wrote

The residence operations assistant told me that not all Vic One students actually even get into the Vic One house in Lower Burwash or in Lower Burwash at all for that matter, due to its high demand. It apparently runs on a lottery system.

Lower Burwash is apparently highly sought after since it's known to be the most Oxford-esque of the Vic residences. I'm not sure if this is true, but I read that apparently a majority of the students who get in are upper year students.

I used to think that Lower Burwash was mostly filled of Vic One students, and then filled by other students if there were any spaces left, but I looked at the floor plan and read about Lower Burwash and I presume that my assumption is wrong. In Lower Burwash the Bowles-Gandier House is the the Vic One house or "Living Learning Community", and the only house on campus separated by year and program (Vic One, first year). From the looks of it, the rest of Lower Burwash isn't separated by this "designated Vic One area."

As far as I know about Trin One having something like this, I don't think that it does. I haven't been able to find anything. Although, I'm almost positive that every residence does have some sort of Living Learning Community set up for first years so that students can live and meet with others who share the same interests. I have seen them advertised on a lot of things.

Oh, did not know that. They even added the extra Vic One stream this year, so there will be even less space.
I'm really not too picky about which rez I get, as long as its not Annesley. I would die if I had to live in an all-grils rez. I ended up ranking it last.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Have fun at Vic and enjoy Vic One! It broke my heart when I accepted my offer but then cancelled it...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@heesoup wrote
Have fun at Vic and enjoy Vic One! It broke my heart when I accepted my offer but then cancelled it...

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE ABANDONING US >:@

just kiddin, hope Western is awesome for you heesoup!
Was this helpful? Yes 0