yconic - 1st year at Mac Eng, got questions about university, engineering, mac, residence etc?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

1st year at Mac Eng, got questions about university, engineering, mac, residence etc?

A photo of Yaroslav64 Yaroslav64
Shoot me anything you're wondering about and I'll do my best to answer it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of Andus Andus
I have a couple of questions:

1) How is the education for Mac engineering say compared to Waterloo or Queens. Perhaps a comparison with your friends from other schools?

2) How is the social life at Mac and is it an enjoyable place to be?

3) What has been your overall experience at Mac been like?

4) And lastly, what would you say be the hardest transition from high school to uni?

Thank you for taking your time to read and reply to these questions.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
How's the workload compared to your grade 12 year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Andus wrote
I have a couple of questions:

1) How is the education for Mac engineering say compared to Waterloo or Queens. Perhaps a comparison with your friends from other schools?

2) How is the social life at Mac and is it an enjoyable place to be?

3) What has been your overall experience at Mac been like?

4) And lastly, what would you say be the hardest transition from high school to uni?

Thank you for taking your time to read and reply to these questions.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas (:

1. The education you recieve from any of the top-tier engineering schools is about equal, based on the discussions I've had with friends. I will say this going to an "engineering school" aka Mac, waterloo etc is very helpful because of the amount of money put into the program as well as time and thought put into helping engineers. Mac Eng is growing quickly and as such there's a lot of money being poured into it right now. I also found the profs FAR less dry and stereotypically stuffy than I was lead to believe.

2. I'm absolutely LOVING my time at Mac. Social life is good but not great, there are keggers, house parties every weekend which are fun but the cops bust stuff earlier than I'm accustommed. Honestly my favourite social part of Mac so far is being surrounded by engineers who are always down to help with schoolwork/drink/party/do stupid crap. The engineering community is FANTASTIC, and from what my friends have told me a bit more outgoing than at waterloo.

3. Overall experience at Mac? 11/10 I'm actually hating being away from there right now.

4. Hardest transition? The tests for sure. In highschool I'm sure your used to tests where the first third is easy as hell, next third is medium and the last third is the most challenging. In Mac Eng and most other engineering programs for that matter there are no purposely easier and harder questions. The entire test is roughly the same difficulty level. I found this to be the biggest change from highschool.

Another change from highschool is a general feeling that in highschool you were having your hand held as in they wanted you to do well. In eng they NEED a certain amount of you to fail. As such they make sure the class averages arent too high (A 70 or high 60 is too high). I'll give you an example, my first chem mid-term had an average of 71%, our prof said that was too high so they'd "get us next time", next test average was a 60. On a funny side note I got the same mark on that test as a monkey would've gotten if it was trained to circle A for every question.

But dont get me wrong there are give away marks everywhere in every course, labs for chem are a mark boost, tutorials in physics are a mark boost, assignments in math are a HUGE mark boost. These are the marks that will get you a decent grade.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@KingKhan wrote
How's the workload compared to your grade 12 year?

I did no work whatsoever in grade twelve. Eng is a fairly large workload if you actually do everything assigned aka a sucker. It's possible to do all work assigned but you will have to sacrifice a little sleep occasionally and really buckle down. Here's some advice. At the beginning hit the ground running like a motherfucker. Seriously giver for the first round of mid-terms. After doing the mid-terms access what has and hasnt worked for you. Cut out inefficient uses of your time (certain practice questions, readings, etc) and keep the ones that you found useful. If you struggle in a subject based on your first mid-term mark dont cut out anything from that, you will be tempted to ignore it because it's difficult but that'll end up fucking you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of yolo12345 yolo12345
hey quick question,

i just applied to a few universities through ouac and i got received emails from almost all of the universities that i applied to with instructions on what to do and stuff like that (uoft, western, waterloo, queens)

however, i didnt get any such email from mcmaster, which is my first choice, and this is kind of concerning

i was just wondering if mcmaster sends out an email or not

thanks for your help
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of yolo12345 yolo12345
also, i applied about 2 weeks ago which is why im wondering why i havent been contacted by mcmaster yet
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arka Arka
Do you think an avg from 82 - 85% is good enough for mac eng?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
What was your average in grade 12?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@yolo12345 wrote
hey quick question,

i just applied to a few universities through ouac and i got received emails from almost all of the universities that i applied to with instructions on what to do and stuff like that (uoft, western, waterloo, queens)

however, i didnt get any such email from mcmaster, which is my first choice, and this is kind of concerning

i was just wondering if mcmaster sends out an email or not

thanks for your help

Oh dear god, cherish this time without emails. You're going to start getting so many emails from universities soon and each time you see one in your inbox your heart skips a beat. To answer your question I did recieve an email from Mac but they may be sending them after the deadline, I wouldnt worry about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Arka wrote
Do you think an avg from 82 - 85% is good enough for mac eng?

Last year the cutoff was about 83 and I would expect a similar average this year. In grade 12 I had an 84.5 at second semester mid-term and an 82 overall to finish the year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Momaniac Momaniac
How is the co-op program at mac? are the people who apply still get jobs, considering they compete against students from waterloo? And how good wuold you say macs reputation is for engineering, when compared to UT and UW ? I have one more question. Mac's pre-req for engineering is same was UT and Waterloo, but they don't look at Advance Functions. So doe sthat mean they make most of their offers after april, when most schools give their mid term marks for calculus?
Thank you soo much for your help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Momaniac wrote
How is the co-op program at mac? are the people who apply still get jobs, considering they compete against students from waterloo? And how good wuold you say macs reputation is for engineering, when compared to UT and UW ? I have one more question. Mac's pre-req for engineering is same was UT and Waterloo, but they don't look at Advance Functions. So doe sthat mean they make most of their offers after april, when most schools give their mid term marks for calculus?

Co-op program is as good as you are. Meaning coop programs dont find you jobs they just have listings and it's your responsibility to send resumes, do well in interviews etc. As for competing against Waterloo students, LOL. Waterloo engineering is not some magical advantage that gets you a job over every other university. It comes down to your resume and interview skills not your university. Mac has a great reputation for engineering but i'd still put it below waterloo and UofT, it really doesnt matter though. Last year they looked at adv. functions so I dont know what to tell you about that. If you have a high average like 87 or higher I would expect an acceptance in first semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
To add onto what Yaroslav said, i've heard that some students even got jobs at RIM, which is kinda ironic i guess. Not bashing UW or anything, they're an absolutely great school, but its not like they are the be all, end all school thats lightyears beyond every other school. That's goes the same for U of T.

In the end, all engineering universities in Canada need to be accredited and must follow a very strict and narrow curriculum. The only difference you may get at UW or U of T is network specific jobs like RIM, but even then if you are of half decent character its interview skills that really land you where you wonna go.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of serious7 serious7

@Yaroslav64 wrote

@Momaniac wrote

Co-op program is as good as you are. Meaning coop programs dont find you jobs they just have listings and it's your responsibility to send resumes, do well in interviews etc. As for competing against Waterloo students, LOL. Waterloo engineering is not some magical advantage that gets you a job over every other university. It comes down to your resume and interview skills not your university. Mac has a great reputation for engineering but i'd still put it below waterloo and UofT, it really doesnt matter though. Last year they looked at adv. functions so I dont know what to tell you about that. If you have a high average like 87 or higher I would expect an acceptance in first semester.

I would like to correct an error in this post. Yaroslav64 is right in that your school does not matter as much as your resume does. However, for those without a resume, Waterloo gives you a competitive edge and opportunity to build a resume over other schools. Moreover, there are a large number of employers that hire strictly Waterloo students. Students outside of Waterloo are not aware of the co-op culture and the impact Waterloo has in the work force. For example, I went to Ottawa for a work term and the only students I have seen working there are Carleton and Waterloo Engineering students. I have also not seen many McMaster Engineering students working at silicon valley jobs for co-op. In all the companies I've worked at, 2/4 of them hire strictly Waterloo Engineering students. There has only been one company that I've worked for that hired a McMaster co-op student.

Was this helpful? Yes 0