yconic - 2 courses in 1 summer?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

2 courses in 1 summer?

A photo of plaidboy plaidboy
I'm already taking english in the summer, but is it possible to take another course as well virtually? I'm planning on fasttracking courses like accounting so I can get my acceptances faster for business
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Some schools frown upon that though so just a head's up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heyppl123 heyppl123

@Username81 wrote
Some schools frown upon that though so just a head's up.

would fast tracking really help? cuz by jan nex yr i'll have 6 done already(eng data advancedF+watever 3 i get nex sem)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
Why are you doing this so you could get an acceptance two months earlier? Honestly it doesn't matter, don't overload your summer and just try to have fun. If you think taking English in the summer will give you a better mark then go ahead but don't overload. If you are applying to business schools, do some volunteering, get a job and build your credentials to get into a good school.

If your first semester marks are really good, but you only have 4 12U courses done, programs will still give you early acceptance. You don't necessarily need all 6 courses done by January.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@goldmansachs wrote
Why are you doing this so you could get an acceptance two months earlier? Honestly it doesn't matter, don't overload your summer and just try to have fun. If you think taking English in the summer will give you a better mark then go ahead but don't overload. If you are applying to business schools, do some volunteering, get a job and build your credentials to get into a good school.

If your first semester marks are really good, but you only have 4 12U courses done, programs will still give you early acceptance. You don't necessarily need all 6 courses done by January.

i kno but its just that some of my gr.11 marks are relli bad
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What school(s) do you want to apply to?

If Queen's and/or Ivey are included, then you should perhaps take goldmansachs's advice and not overdue it in terms of school work but perhaps do some volunteering and/or leadership things since these schools look heavily upon extracurriculars.

I'm not saying don't go to summer school (it can be very helpful for english), but these schools require extracurriculars as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Early acceptance is based on a mix of your Gr. 11 marks and Gr. 12 first semester marks, so then they would probably wait until your second semester marks. Getting early or not isn't a big deal, I got most of my acceptances early May and it wasn't so bad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

If Queen's and/or Ivey are included, then you should perhaps take goldmansachs's advice and not overdue it in terms of school work but perhaps do some volunteering and/or leadership things since these schools look heavily upon extracurriculars.

I'm not saying don't go to summer school (it can be very helpful for english), but these schools require extracurriculars as well.

basically waterloo's the only uni I want to go to
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@plaidboy wrote

@Username81 wrote

I think they look at EC's as well. Make sure you have a solid backup plan though in case you don't get accepted to your first (or even second choice).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@plaidboy wrote

@Username81 wrote

Waterloo frowns upon summer school courses.

Seriously, early acceptance is not all it's stacked up to be. If you get early acceptance to all of your programs, you will likely end up slacking off, which is not good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heyppl123 heyppl123

@plaidboy wrote

@Username81 wrote

i called waterloo a few months ago, they say they wont penalize u for summer school only if u apply to the arts program, any other program they will drop ur average by a few percent. also they say they hav the right to change their policies whenever they want so dont count on it
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Waterloo for what AFM? They don't give acceptances out until mid-May.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of amhsirak amhsirak
Ok so I just read the first few posts, so if I'm repeating what someone else said, my apologies.

Anywho, if you're planning on completing ENG4U during July, I don't suggest you try and complete an additional course. The reason being is that ENG4U is the most important course in your senior year; doing well in english is imperative in order to gain acceptances into b-school. The summer school schedule is tremendously rigorous. Taking 2 courses during the summer may adversely affect your performance.

Don't do it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rela Rela

@goldmansachs wrote
Waterloo for what AFM? They don't give acceptances out until mid-May.

If his grade 11 marks are really that poor, he probably won't be eligible to write the AFMAA. Thus, removing his chances of getting into AFM all together.
Was this helpful? Yes 0