yconic - 2012 Canadian Computing Competition :D
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

2012 Canadian Computing Competition :D

A photo of iRamie iRamie
I'm writing it for the first time :cheers:

Post if you're gunna write!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of LindaS LindaS
I doing it!!! I'm really slow at programming though, so I bet I'll completely mess up and only get like three questions done :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smengler smengler
I'm writing it too. I've got a question for anyone who's writing it. I took the contest last year, not really knowing what to expect. I only got three questions right out of five. After writing the competition, I realized that you need to know computer algorithms to solve the problems efficiently. I only made up my own solutions, which is why I didn't do too well. Anyways, what do you think is the best way to learn algorithms? I've looked at a couple of books, but they go too much into the theory of algorithms. Are there any good websites, books, etc that you've used to learn?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
I'm writing it for no apparently good reason. Not really into programming, nor am I good at it, but meh.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smengler smengler
Our school gives us pizza for writing it! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dlandry dlandry
I'll be writing it for the 2nd time. I got 30 on the 2011 senior contest and bailed on the last 3 questions, but I think I'll do better with this one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie
Is there any way to study? Im just doing last years questions, and im stuck on question 4 -.-
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 2012Applicant 2012Applicant
I have to choose whether I will write the junior or the senior...
I can normally finish 4 and just make it through 5 for the junior, but I can normally manage my way only through 2 for the senior...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@2012Applicant wrote
I have to choose whether I will write the junior or the senior...
I can normally finish 4 and just make it through 5 for the junior, but I can normally manage my way only through 2 for the senior...

I heard you can take a book into the competition

[code]7. Books and written materials are allowed. Any machine-readable materials (like other programs which you have written) are not allowed. However, you are allowed to use “standard” libraries for your programming languages; for example, the STL for C++, java.util.*,
java.io.*, etc. for Java, and so on.[/code]
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Well sh*t, I got raped. LOL.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@jelly wrote
Well sh*t, I got raped. LOL.

LOL i got 2/5 and ragequit.

IM DONE.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
I only got question 2 LOL.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 2012Applicant 2012Applicant
I forgot to put an equal sign into j1 so I lost 1 test case... so I got 57/75. I wrote the senior when I got home and I think I would have got about 45/75. I had s3 working, but with an input file greater than 500000 it would take my program like an hour or so to run. In retrospect, I should have written the senior. A 45 in the senior is definitely more impressive than a 57 in the junior. :( I'm sad now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
The first 3 questions on the junior were more or less a joke, 4th wasn't exactly challenging either. So getting a 60/75 wouldn't be too difficult. Getting 45/75 on the senior is actually pretty incredible though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vingilot Vingilot
I'm rather new to programming but enthusiastic, did the junior for the first time, couldnt get the last one....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
13/75, I am a f*cking legend. Oh and taking too long to produce an output would've actually lost you marks, according to a friend of mine. He also finished the first 3 questions, but lost marks because his 3rd question took too much time to generate an output...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jl7 jl7
A little late, but I got 66/75 on the senior contest and 1 place that I know a bunch of people that are seriously into computer science discuss the solutions is compsci.ca

I had loads of fun writing the competition and just wish I had been able to get the last problem. As it is, hoping to get a bit more scholarship money from waterloo with this result
Was this helpful? Yes 0