yconic - $500 "To My Past Self" Community Contest
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

$500 "To My Past Self" Community Contest

CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED

Hindsight is everything, right? 

With Happy Student New Year quickly approaching, we want to know what one piece of advice you would have given yourself 12 months ago to better get you through your last academic year.  

We’re looking for some inspirational advice that will help other students have an amazing 2015/16 Student New Year. Whether it’s “No matter how comfy your bed is, go to class” or “life’s short, eat the cake” we want to hear from you.  

To enter, simply comment below using your real name with “To My Past Self:” followed by the piece of advice you think would have helped you one year ago. 

Encourage your friends to vote your comment as helpful. The comment with the most helpful votes at the end of the contest period will be awarded the $500 prize.* 

Only friends that have an active yconic profile will be able to vote. So connect and make new friends in the yconic Community or invite your friends to join http://yconic.com for FREE today.

Deadline to apply is October 15, 2015 @ 9:00 AM EDT.  

*See full rules and regulations. Please note: Anonymous or inappropriate posts will not be tolerated nor entered into this contest.  

What advice will you find most helpful? Help us identify the best advice by giving your favourite comments a ‘Help Vote’!

* https://support.yconic.com/hc/en-us/articles/205369054--To-My-Past-Self-Community-Contest-Rules

CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED
Was this helpful? Yes 41
2536 replies

To My Past Self:
Say yes to new opportunities!
Was this helpful? Yes 54

To my past self:
Acknowledge your breaking point, and ignore it. You are greater than you think and stronger than you can imagine. This is going to be amazing. 
Was this helpful? Yes 40

To My Past Self:
It's okay to reach out and ask for help. You don't always have to be on your own.
Was this helpful? Yes 33

To my past self:
It will always turn out better than you think - enjoy the process, and don't stress out about the destination. 
Was this helpful? Yes 29

To my past self: 
Do not rush with anything, take your time and don't be overconfident. Rushing will only cause you to forget things or miss out on things and over-confidence will lead you to making mistakes. Remember the rabbit and turtle story. 'Slow and steady wins the race'
Was this helpful? Yes 15

This post was deleted

To My Past Self: 
"There is one thing you must always remember; you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think" - A.A Milne 
Was this helpful? Yes 23

To my past self:
You are never too old to need you parents or a long nap!
Was this helpful? Yes 32

To my past self:
No one is as perfect as they might seem: don't compare yourself to everyone else.
Was this helpful? Yes 23

To My Past Self:
No one can guide you better than yourself. Be open-minded, but remain true to yourself.
Was this helpful? Yes 11

You're wonderful and everything, but people really aren't thinking about you that much. So chiiillll.
Was this helpful? Yes 8

To My Past Self:

Having a girlfriend while in school will NOT help you study

Was this helpful? Yes 15

To my past self,
No matter how large the obstacle may present itself as, it will only appear significant if you let your mind perceive it as so. Do not let your fear of the unknown hinder your ability to put forth your potential. Be you, and you will succeed.
Was this helpful? Yes 9

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. You will miss it when you get older.
Was this helpful? Yes 8

To My Past Self:
Stay Positive and trust yourself!
Was this helpful? Yes 5

To My Past Self,
Always believe in yourself and your abilities. Move at your own pace and comfort, and never let anyone intimidate and pressure you into your failures. Don't be afraid to try out new thinga rather face them with poise and confidence. Be open minded, especially to all the opportunitis that will come your way and grab them when you can. And most especially never give up when you fail,  always take it as a challenge and learning to move on and reach your goals and dreams
Was this helpful? Yes 9

To My Past Self:
Being tired and being lazy are two very different things, fight the latter as hard as you can. 
Was this helpful? Yes 15

To my past self:

Don't beat yourself up over mistakes. They're a way for you to grow. Just make sure to learn from them and let them help you be better than you were before. Slow progress is still progress.

Love,
Me!
Was this helpful? Yes 18

To my past self: The most successful people are the people who had no friends in High school because they had more time to work on their craft everyday. Also remember that a person isn't defined by their failures, rather they are defined by the way they react to adversity. Be resilient, don't give and things will always workout for you, but only when the time is right
Was this helpful? Yes 6

To my past self: 

Get involved in an experience you'll remember 10 years from now and don't beat yourself down when you mess up. Sometimes you have to take time to care for yourself before you'll be able to succeed again. 

Was this helpful? Yes 15

To My Past Self:
Stop being so lazy! 
Was this helpful? Yes 10

To My Past Self:
Do everything you want to do. This way you will get the most out of life.
Was this helpful? Yes 8

To my  past self: 
Persevere, persevere, persevere into the day and night. You are destined for great things, and although many will apply, you will be part of a chosen few. This life is only temporary with it's sufferings, and through deep study and hard work you will enter into life of happiness and without suffering.
Was this helpful? Yes 5

To My Past Self:
If you have to choose betwen taking more classes, and getting involved, get involved. No matter how many times you drink too much pool water, or catch a frisbee with a busted bottom lip, you can't fail those, 
Was this helpful? Yes 9

Start looking for scholarships/bursaries right away and take advantage of all clubs/seminars/ and opportunities my school has to offer
Was this helpful? Yes 7

To my past self: 
Don't miss out on the things you want to do just because you're scared of what people may think.
Was this helpful? Yes 12

To my past self: Always do your best. Even if you get one bad mark, don't let it define your whole school year. Bounce back and do a better job on the next one!
Was this helpful? Yes 5

To My Past Self:
Take a deep breath and have something hot to drink once in a while. Your homework will still be there when you're ready.
Was this helpful? Yes 5

To My Past Self: 
Stop wishing, start doing. "I'll do it tomorrow" never got anyone anywhere.
Was this helpful? Yes 7

To my past self:
It's never too late... Listen to to inner voice, you know what's best for yourself better than anyone else. 

Was this helpful? Yes 3

"To My Past Self:"
Persevere through everything, don't let your fears or any obstacle hold you back from anything that may come your way and never forget to live each moment to the fullest. 
Was this helpful? Yes 3

To My Past Self: 
Do what you need to do first, before what you want to do. Keep your mind focused on the tasks at hand. It'll be worth it in the end! 
Was this helpful? Yes 3

This post was deleted

To my past self:

If it's not working out and your miserable, Drop out. Find the school thats right for you. No one's going to judge you. 
Was this helpful? Yes 3

It's never too early to start putting pen to paper;go ahead, give it a try.
Was this helpful? Yes 2

To my past self:
Stay You! Do Not let others define YOU! Make your own choices and live your life to the fullest. Life is to short too follow someone else's shadow.
Was this helpful? Yes 6

To My Past Self:
Don't let personal matters get in the way of your academic performance. Reach out to your family, close friends, or resources available at your school as they are all great support systems.
Was this helpful? Yes 5

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

To My Past Self 
Don't worry about people trying to put you down. Think positive, live, create and make your dreams come true because life has no limits of creativity and success.  
Was this helpful? Yes 4

It will seem overwhelming and you will tremble with self-doubt. But you can shatter your self-doubt by staring at fear in the face. Give it a smile and let it know you will show up every single day, even if you tremble. Fear is a liar, and you will overcome its test by taking it one step at a time and facing its lies. You will eventually become scary to fear itself...GO GET IT!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

to my past self:
every friend you've ever had was once a stranger
every accomplishment was once a pipe-dream,
don't sell yourself short and make sure to take it all in!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

To My Past Self:
Get involved! You'll miss out on opportunities to shine and be noticed if you remain content to sit and watch from the sidelines.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

To my past self:
Stop thinking about what other people might think of you or your decisions. Do what you love and don't be afraid to go for your dreams even if it's not what other people expect form you. You can accomplish anything if you put your mind to it. Don't be afraid to reach out for help on your way to your dreams. You might come across great opportunities. Take them and you can learn a lot from it and it can help you out for your future. 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

This post was deleted

To my past self:
Be happy. Be proud. Be patient.  Be kind. Be safe. Ultimately, be you.
Was this helpful? Yes 2

To my Past Self:
My studies have taught me the value of organization, and the need to keep an agenda and other organizational tools up to date so as not to miss any assignments and I have a lot of time to get them done to the best quality they deserve. I would also tell myself to get assignments done early so that I can be sure to know what is expected when it comes time to do lab or assignment work. I would finally recommend reading material prior to all classes even if not expected so as to have planned questions of where I had issues understanding content. Good luck future me.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

To My Past Self:
Don't try and pull off the "I'm just going to wake up REALLY early tomorrow and finish studying" it never works...
Was this helpful? Yes 2

To My Past Self:

Live and Learn, its hard being in the shadows when you know you can do more with life if you can just let go. Be involved, even if its hard.

Was this helpful? Yes 1

To My Past Self:
Remember to hang in there when things get rough. Life is meant to be tasted; no matter how sweet or bitter.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

To My Past Self:
Love yourself!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

To My Past Self: When you love something with all your heart, but are unsure to pursue that path. Just trust your gut because your gut is never wrong.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

To my past self: 
Never forget what you want to do with your life and stay as true to yourself as possible. Don't worry about what everyone does, do what you know will benefit you for the near and long term future. Remember, life is always good, if you make it good!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

To My Past Self: Introduce yourself to everyone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

To My Pas Self:
Stop watching youtube, I know its fun and entertaining now, but at 8pm when you realize homework is due tomorrow, it won't be so fun.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

To my past self,
Do whatever you want, but don't regret.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

To My Past Self:
Make sure you use the facilities at school and you get involved in things that you love. Start using the gym at school, the writing centre, academic and career advisers. Join student groups, join an intramurals! Don't let commuting stop you from getting involved at school and don't let your introvert self stop from being part of a community. Joining clubs and using your schools facilities will give you a sense of community, make you life long friends and help maximize your academic career! Do it now! Don't say next year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

To My Past Self:
Be yourself. Unless you're a unicorn. Then be a unicorn.
Was this helpful? Yes 55

To My Past Self:
Study is like the conservation of mass in chemical reactions: The "weight" of result equals the amount of effort.
Was this helpful? Yes 16

To My Past Self: Everything happens for a reason
Was this helpful? Yes 7

To my past self: 

Stop comparing and understand you are enough. Compare ONLY your present self to your past self and to the future you will have. No one shares your exact thoughts and experiences, so don't try to plagiarize someone else's life, just create your own story.
Was this helpful? Yes 12

To My Past Self: Your luscious feather down pillow isn't going to get you that credit.
Was this helpful? Yes 6

To my past self:
You can accomplish anything you put your mind to, never doubt what you are capable of!!
Was this helpful? Yes 17

To my past self:
Don't be so afraid of what everyone thinks of you, allow yourself to have a fun time!
Was this helpful? Yes 30

To my past self:
You are young and probably don't know much about the world around you (heck, you probably still don't know much about the world now!) Go out there and experience everything you can! Don't be scared of failure! Embrace new opportunities and grow from what you learn!
Was this helpful? Yes 3

This post was deleted

To my past self:
Seek to understand before being understood
Was this helpful? Yes 67

To my past self: 
Success may be something
That's so hard to see
To look around wondering
Why is it so hard to be me?

But it's true
the difference between
the small pieces of coal
is which ones can be seen
to stand the pressure: to take control

Because the ones that don't break
Are the ones you see at the top
The ones that learn from every new mistake
Are the ones that never wanted to stop

Sure it might seem hard looking to the future asking "How?"
But you're gonna change nothing unless you start right here.
If you just tell yourself that you'll do something now
You won't forget your failures in your true successful years.
Was this helpful? Yes 44

This is really helpful!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

This post was deleted

To my past self:
Do what makes you happy, not what makes others around you happy 
Was this helpful? Yes 30

To my past self:  This is just a moment in time and this too shall pass....
Was this helpful? Yes 25

To my past self: One bad test or quiz won't ruin your life because everyone does make mistakes and you shouldn't stress over it.
Was this helpful? Yes 20

To my past self:
Don't bring yourself down by comparing yourself to others. You are your own person.
Was this helpful? Yes 40

To my past self:
It's okay to feel overwhelmed sometimes; just remember that you are good enough, and that you shouldn't be scared to ask for help.
Was this helpful? Yes 20

This post was deleted

To my past self:
You have enough, you do enough, you are enough.
Never underestimate how many amazing things you are capable of doing, don't be afraid to take risks. 
Was this helpful? Yes 29

To my past self: 
There is no better feeling than crossing it off your to-do list. Stop making excuses and wasting  time stressing out when you can just GET IT DONE. 
Was this helpful? Yes 46

To my past self:  Failure is inevitable to success. You'll get to where you want by improving your mistakes
Was this helpful? Yes 18

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
To my past self

Minimize your (our?) procrastination
Was this helpful? Yes 7

You must post with your yconic name to be eligible. Anonymous posts will not be entered.
Was this helpful? Yes 8

If at first you don't succeed. Don't stress. Everyone makes mistakes and aren't perfect. Learn something from your mistakes and move on to become a better person
Was this helpful? Yes 22

To My Past Self:
Never be too busy to spend time with friends and family. 

Was this helpful? Yes 32

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
To My Past Self:
The bottle is your friend even in freshman year.
Was this helpful? Yes 7

You must post with your  name to be eligible. Anonymous posts will not be entered.
Was this helpful? Yes 9

To My Past Self:
Mistakes are stepping stones for success. Be patient for opportunities and illuminate yourself from others.
Was this helpful? Yes 31

To My Past Self:
Calculus does not define who you are as a person.
Was this helpful? Yes 91

To My Past Self:
Everything happens for a reason, so just go with the flow and everything will be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 4

This post was deleted

Dear past self: 
Things may get really tough and there may be a lot to do but don't give up. You can do it no matter how impossible it seems.
Was this helpful? Yes 26

To My Past Self:
Study what you love. Don't be afraid to change a major if you feel that a wrong one was chosen and to start all over.
Was this helpful? Yes 57

To my past self: You have to work for what you want. It won't be handed to you on a silver plate.
Was this helpful? Yes 47

To my past self: Define your own success. Don't let other people or pressures  influence your definition of success. What they think does not matter...you have to live with yourself for the rest of your life so don't do anything you will regret and remember to go out there and enjoy life while you can!
Was this helpful? Yes 42