yconic - 5th Year Brock BBA/BAcc Co-op student, ask me anything! (IB and Big 4 Co-op)
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

5th Year Brock BBA/BAcc Co-op student, ask me anything! (IB and Big 4 Co-op)

I'm basically always on here so figured might as well make one of these and help out any prospective students.

Background:
- First 2 years spent as BBA Co-op student, secured first coop term through BBA
- Transferred into BAcc Co-op after 2 years
- Currently doing a spring semester

You kinda get the best of both worlds since I have been in all (both) the programs offered at the Goodman School of Business!

And since I know these are gonna be popular Qs:

WHEN SEARCHING FOR 1ST CO-OP:
- Avg (both major and overall) ~80%
- ECs: Leadership position in a club, some entrepreneurial stuff, sports stuff
- Work XP: General accounting internship at no-name organization doing very basic stuff, manual labour

INTERVIEWS:
Since attending Brock, I have received interview requests from:

Company / Quantity / (Co-op vs summer intern, Location) 

RBC x 3 (Various positions, co-op x2 and summer intern x1, Toronto)
Big 4 Audit x3 (1x Co-op and 1x Summer intern, Toronto...1 x Co-op in Calgary)
Big 4 Summer Leadership Conferences x2 (Toronto)
CPP Investment Board x2 (Summer Analyst, Toronto)
Scotiabank (Co-op, Toronto)
Grant Thornton Audit (Co-op, Toronto)
Canadian Tire (Co-op, GTA)
Ontario Securities Commission (CPA position, summer intern, Toronto)
Mercedes-Benz Financial Services (Co-op, GTA)
TeamBuy .ca (Summer intern, Toronto)
Imperial Oil (Co-op, Calgary)
Suncor (Co-op, Calgary)
Regional CPA firm (Co-op, Hamilton area)
Small CPA firm (Co-op, Niagara region)
Publicly traded minerals company (Co-op, Toronto)
OMERS Pension Fund (Co-op, Toronto)
Big 5 Canadian Bank Capital Markets x2 (Co-op, Toronto)
Husky Energy (Summer intern, Calgary)
Accenture Consulting (Full time, Toronto)
McKinsey Consulting (Full time, Eastern Europe)

AT TIME OF APPLYING TO UNIVERSITY (September 2012 Entry):
- Rejected from BAcc Co-op
- Accepted to BBA Co-op with 83.5% top 6

WHEN LANDING BIG 4 AUDIT CO-OP:
- Joined B4 Audit in January 2016
- Done 8 months of co-op, not at an accounting firm
- Major average ~85, overall ~80+
- ECs, unchanged from when applying to first co-op
- Completed a couple certificates in excel

ADVICE FOR CURRENT STUDENTS WHO WANT TO GET INTO B4 BUT DIDN'T/WON'T FOR THEIR FIRST COOP:
- Get public accounting experience somewhere else. This is basically a must. I believe I was the only upper year hired from my school into B4 this past term without prior public experience. It's something I noticed during recruiting
- If you have the above, grades matter a bit less. Yes you still want to do as best as you can, but a high 70 is OK enough if you have prior XP. An 80+ is still ideal though
- Be prepared to explain why you left your previous employer (and don't speak poorly about them)

That's basically it. So feel free to ask me anything and I'll try to answer your Qs as best as I can!

*Even if nobody has posted in this topic for a while, feel free to do so, chances are I'm still lurking on here

Was this helpful? Yes 3
1041 replies

A photo of Kamzaf123 Kamzaf123
Hey so i'm planning to do a BAcc or BBA but i'm worried about the 1st year courses. Can you please tell me the courses you had to take (i.e. mandatory) and how were they? Also what was your GPA @ the end of 1st and 2nd year? With what GPA did you apply for a coop? Are you looking to do a CPA after? Because my end goal is to get my CPA however when I look at the courses I have to take in the process of getting that, are somewhat scary D:. I'm more of an all rounder student and like to have more than simply all business courses in my years in Uni. What would you recommend me to do? Thanks. (p.s. sorry if i asked to many questions D:)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of jayyym jayyym
Do you plan on going on a exchange?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of choocolate choocolate
How heavy do they weight your Ecs? I'm kind of worry that mine are looking kind of weak considering I'm only apart of one solid leadership club.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of Sasha S Sasha S
Cool already got a few comments!

@Kamzaf123 wrote
Hey so i'm planning to do a BAcc or BBA but i'm worried about the 1st year courses. Can you please tell me the courses you had to take (i.e. mandatory) and how were they? Also what was your GPA @ the end of 1st and 2nd year? With what GPA did you apply for a coop? Are you looking to do a CPA after? Because my end goal is to get my CPA however when I look at the courses I have to take in the process of getting that, are somewhat scary D:. I'm more of an all rounder student and like to have more than simply all business courses in my years in Uni. What would you recommend me to do? Thanks. (p.s. sorry if i asked to many questions D:)

Are you in 1st year right now or just in grade 12?

You can find all the course-related info right here: http://www.brocku.ca/webcal/undergrad/busi.html

I was in BBA Co-op for first year so I took:
ACTG 1P91
MGMT 1P93 & 1P96
ECON 1P91 & 1P92
MATH 1P97 & 1P98
ITIS 1P97
and an elective science credit which was BIOL 1F25 for me

First year is QUITE EASY at Brock. I honestly did not study much and got Bs in the majority of my courses. I recommend you STUDY HARD first year because you can easily pull a 90%+ average if you really set your mind to it, and then this will boost your cumulative GPA like crazy for the next few years. I wish I did that. I mostly messed around in first year and only really started studying in second year. I studied hard and was only able to pull about an 85% average in second year (however this was easily top 5-10% of the program for 2nd year). Long story short, take advantage of the easy 1st year because 2nd year is WAY harder.

My GPA after first year was ~75 for both major and overall
My cumulative GPA after second year was ~80 for both major and overall for BBA, this is what I used to apply for coop.

Yes I am intending to pursue the CPA. If you want to, you should be in BAcc because the BBA -Accounting concentration does not have all the courses you need. The courses will definitely be challenging but if you put in the effort you will do fine, and it will 100% be worth it in the end because the CPA basically guarantees a decent job/income.

- If you want CPA, 100% go into BAcc Co-op if you get in. It is very easy to switch into BBA co-op from BAcc, the other way around is almost impossible (<10 people have ever done it).
- An 87% average for your top 6 courses in highschool should get you into BAcc co-op
- The first couple of years for both BAcc and BBA include a wide variety of business courses from marketing to econ to accounting to finance, we even get a couple electives here and there.
- If you can't get into BAcc Co-op, my tip for you is to go to BBA Co-op, because unless you have connections then landing that first job is going to be extremely tough without co-op. Then switching into regular BAcc from BBA is easy. *Switching into BAcc Co-op is the near-impossible one.

Hopefully that answers your Qs! If you need me to clarify anything (I like to ramble) or have any other questions then by all means go for it!

@jayyym wrote

I would definitely like to, and if you're in BBA by all means do it. However for the BAccs I believe it really sets you back since the courses you take while on exchange are all Pass/Fail which doesnt fly with CPA Ontario. But if I figure out a way to plan it then I feel it would be a very cool experience. No idea where I'd go though haha

@choocolate wrote
How heavy do they weight your Ecs? I'm kind of worry that mine are looking kind of weak considering I'm only apart of one solid leadership club.

How heavy does who weight your ECs? You mean for admission to Brock? They don't look at them at all, only grades.

I would aim for ~82-83 for BBA Coop and ~87+ for BAcc co-op
Was this helpful? Yes 2

A photo of debooi debooi
Hey, I'm in Grade 12 right now and I'm looking at Waterloo's AFM program and Brock's BAcc co-op because I really want to get a CPA designation. I know you're in Brock right now, but which would you recommend? Also, how's Brock's student life + campus?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BuckinFuffalo BuckinFuffalo
Queen's student here. A lot of people go crazy for CPPIB (especially commies), so do you want to elaborate on how you got invited for an interview/the position it was for. I'm just curious, cause you know, you will only be successful at Ivey/Queen's (not being serious here), so this should be of interest to grade 11/12 students considering you go to Brock.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@debooi wrote
Hey, I'm in Grade 12 right now and I'm looking at Waterloo's AFM program and Brock's BAcc co-op because I really want to get a CPA designation. I know you're in Brock right now, but which would you recommend? Also, how's Brock's student life + campus?

Well I'll say this, AFM is definitely a common path to top accounting placements in both B4 and industry. However you're looking at some intense competition there amongst which it may be difficult to stand out, not to mention a ton of debt (undergrad tuition alone of 61K vs Brock's 32K or so, add in the MAccs and the difference gets even bigger).

If you're not rich, I can't really say I recommend going to AFM, Queen's, UofT, or Ivey for accounting. Considering that I just received a phone call from a Big 4 for an interview for DT Toronto a few hrs ago, they really don't seem to discriminate much as to what school you go to, not that Brock has a bad reputation in the accounting world anyways.

In accounting I feel its more about the person than the school. If you come to Brock and show up to play, you'll definitely get the interviews you deserve. Heck if you go to Guelph and show you're a strong candidate you'll still get the looks you deserve.

If you're set on the CPA and you're ready to work hard and you want to get it quick, I'd say go Brock over AFM.
If you don't mind taking a bit longer to get through the process I do recommend you look into other cheap & reputable options like Laurier (and what it takes to get coop) or Schulich which has very solid accounting placements as well for cheap.

As for student life, it's what you make of it. Let's say there's definitely no shortage of both girls and guys who know how to party. Quite a few clubs you can join as well. Luckily the accounting students association is probably the most active club on campus. That being said, you'll most likely be too busy to really enjoy any of this past first year :P

@BuckinFuffalo wrote
Queen's student here. A lot of people go crazy for CPPIB (especially commies), so do you want to elaborate on how you got invited for an interview/the position it was for. I'm just curious, cause you know, you will only be successful at Ivey/Queen's (not being serious here), so this should be of interest to grade 11/12 students considering you go to Brock.

Well I'm waiting to hear back and don't want to jynx it so I'll just say it was for a summer analyst position for 2015 and that I honestly didn't really do anything out of the ordinary at all to get the interview.

The CPPIB floors/especially the reception is BEAUTIFUL though, totally felt out of place being there aha but the interview was definitely a cool experience.
One of the guys I talked to there mentioned they are getting a CPA approved training program starting next Sept so I imagine your people will potentially be seeing a lot more of my people (BAccs) running around in there in middle/back office roles!
Was this helpful? Yes 2

A photo of jayyym jayyym

@Hrad wrote

@jayyym wrote

I would definitely like to, and if you're in BBA by all means do it. However for the BAccs I believe it really sets you back since the courses you take while on exchange are all Pass/Fail which doesnt fly with CPA Ontario. But if I figure out a way to plan it then I feel it would be a very cool experience. No idea where I'd go though haha

What do you mean "pass/fail courses". I'm assuming you only take other business courses and non-business electives when you go on exchange; so it does not cut into your 51-credit hours.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BuckinFuffalo BuckinFuffalo

@jayyym wrote

@Hrad wrote

@jayyym wrote

What do you mean "pass/fail courses". I'm assuming you only take other business courses and non-business electives when you go on exchange; so it does not cut into your 51-credit hours.

We've got the same system at Queen's. When you go on exchange you do the standard assignments, get standard grading, and so on, but your actual school will only know if you passed or failed, and that's what will show up on your transcript. So when I go on exchange, none of the courses I take will count toward my GPA. Employers and grad schools can still find out what your marks are if they really want, but it'll take a bit of work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jayyym jayyym

@BuckinFuffalo wrote

@jayyym wrote

@Hrad wrote

@jayyym wrote

We've got the same system at Queen's. When you go on exchange you do the standard assignments, get standard grading, and so on, but your actual school will only know if you passed or failed, and that's what will show up on your transcript. So when I go on exchange, none of the courses I take will count toward my GPA. Employers and grad schools can still find out what your marks are if they really want, but it'll take a bit of work.

O' I see

But why doesn't it "fly" with CPA? Not like you will be taking mandatory courses aboard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jayyym jayyym

@BuckinFuffalo wrote

@jayyym wrote

@Hrad wrote

@jayyym wrote

O' I see

But why doesn't it "fly" with CPA? Not like you will be taking mandatory courses aboard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@BuckinFuffalo wrote

@jayyym wrote

@Hrad wrote

@jayyym wrote

Sounds about right. You probably can pull it off by taking your electives or other non-major courses while abroad, but I feel it would be difficult to line up your schedule to work out that way since these are usually mixed in with your CPA-approved courses.
For me since I transferred I'm already behind a few courses, and between catching up and recruiting/co-ops, I feel I might not get around to actually doing an exchange.
Definitely talk to an academic adviser if you're considering it, planning it out early will make it a lot easier to do I bet!

EDIT: Oops, didn't see you posted before I did. Think I answered your Q anyways though
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dayana13 dayana13
How would you say is recruitment/networking events are around campus?

If any, do you think downtown schools (rotman/ted rogers) get more of them because of location or no?

Do you live on campus, St. Catherines, etc?

How is the competition for jobs at BAcc coop?

Can you intern after your first year during summer?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dayana13 wrote
How would you say is recruitment/networking events are around campus?

If any, do you think downtown schools (rotman/ted rogers) get more of them because of location or no?

Do you live on campus, St. Catherines, etc?

How is the competition for jobs at BAcc coop?

Can you intern after your first year during summer?

For BAcc, there are firms on campus and information sessions pretty often, obviously especially during recruiting season (Sept). There are also many case competitions held on campus that you can participate in.

I don't think location has much of an impact on a school, or else Queen's/Ivey wouldn't be as heavily recruited as they are.

I lived on campus (village - highly recommend it) for first year, then off campus in Thorold for second year and onwards.

Well BAcc is a tough program, there are many intelligent people but the size of the program still becomes very small due to people being kicked out. Out of the 80-100 that survive in the co-op program after first year, I would say no more than 30-40 of them actually have an 80+ average. If you are a well rounded candidate (80+ average, good ECs, hopefully some work XP) then you will have no problem getting interviews for co-op with top firms.

Yes you can intern the summer after your first year, however it will be difficult to find a job since co-op for BAcc students begins in second semester of second year.

If you are considering Brock BAcc Co-op, aim for an 87+ top 6 average in grade 12. I know people got rejected last year with 86s.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for the info Hrad!

I've applied to the program already with my grade 11 marks, but in my grade 11 year i took three grade 12 courses:
chem 12:91
bio 12: 96
Data 12: 97

and my grade 11 average is somewhere along a 94 for all my classes ive taken that year altogether

do you think my chances are quite well, and if those are some of my higher marks (3 existing grade 12 classes) would they count towards my top six?

also i know that youre average in uni is not as high as it was in high school, do you think it drops by a lot?

thanks for youre further help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dayana13 wrote
Thanks for the info Hrad!

I've applied to the program already with my grade 11 marks, but in my grade 11 year i took three grade 12 courses:
chem 12:91
bio 12: 96
Data 12: 97

and my grade 11 average is somewhere along a 94 for all my classes ive taken that year altogether

do you think my chances are quite well, and if those are some of my higher marks (3 existing grade 12 classes) would they count towards my top six?

also i know that youre average in uni is not as high as it was in high school, do you think it drops by a lot?

thanks for youre further help!

Yes you definitely should be accepted to the program with those grades. I assume you will even get early acceptance in February if your first semester grade 12 marks are equally as good. I believe those 3 courses should count as part of your top 6 + another 3 that you take in grade 12.

They say that generally your uni average is 10% lower than your highschool average. First year non-accounting courses at Brock are pretty easy though, and since you're doing very well taking chem and bio I would say you could potentially achieve a 90% first year average if you work hard.
Second year is much much harder though, it takes serious effort to achieve an average over 85%, but it is still definitely doable.
If you do decide to come to Brock my advice is to study really hard in first year and take advantage of the fairly easy courses, a high GPA will be very useful come recruiting time in September of 2nd year!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That's so exiting! Yes, i would defiantly would want to attend Brock if i get into Bacc coop! is February the earliest their early acceptances go out though? :/
i just got a reply from my safe school and it said i have to respond to them by January 17th, im so nervous, i hoping to hear from brock before january so i can decline my safe school with confidence

Thanks, Its really exiting to hear that the first eyar isnt too bad, ill defiantly put all my best into it and try to take as much advantage as i can!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dayana13 wrote
That's so exiting! Yes, i would defiantly would want to attend Brock if i get into Bacc coop! is February the earliest their early acceptances go out though? :/
i just got a reply from my safe school and it said i have to respond to them by January 17th, im so nervous, i hoping to hear from brock before january so i can decline my safe school with confidence

Thanks, Its really exiting to hear that the first eyar isnt too bad, ill defiantly put all my best into it and try to take as much advantage as i can!

What's your safe school? Sounds like something Ryerson would do...

I'm not sure if they go out any earlier than Feb, but with your grades I'm sure you'll get in, no need to worry!
Was this helpful? Yes 2

My "safe" school is the University of Saskatchewan and i got a letter from them yesterday, it sucks that the deadline isnt any later.
I also heard that Ryerson likes to do stuff like that..

Cant wait to hear something from Brock and hoping this school year passes by quickly!

Also, is it true that if you dont get a coop placement you get kicked out of the coop stream??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dayana13 wrote
My "safe" school is the University of Saskatchewan and i got a letter from them yesterday, it sucks that the deadline isnt any later.
I also heard that Ryerson likes to do stuff like that..

Cant wait to hear something from Brock and hoping this school year passes by quickly!

Also, is it true that if you dont get a coop placement you get kicked out of the coop stream??

I see, well I wouldn't be worried about declining that offer if I were you.

No that's not true, as long as the coop office sees you are putting effort into the job hunt, they will let you keep trying the next semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of XX XX
What did you do for your first coop term?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@John204 wrote

Just started it a few months ago at one of the places I got an interview of course!
The B4, CPPIB and OSC interviews were for summer 2015 to give a better indication.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of XX XX

@Hrad wrote

@John204 wrote

Just started it a few months ago at one of the places I got an interview of course!
The B4, CPPIB and OSC interviews were for summer 2015 to give a better indication.

I was asking which coop you obtained not what interviews you obtained. But I guess if you want remain anonymous, that's fine with me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@John204 wrote

@Hrad wrote

@John204 wrote

I was asking which coop you obtained not what interviews you obtained. But I guess if you want remain anonymous, that's fine with me.

Yes I prefer to.

==============================================================================================

Application deadline for Sept 2015 entry approaches. If you're thinking of applying, the predicted cutoffs are:

BBA
Regular: High 70s - I don't think I met anyone who had less than a 76 for their top 6 when I was in first year. 78+ should be safe.
Co-op: Low 80s - Aim for 82+ for admission into BBA co-op. My friends who managed to stay in co-op past first year had around 84-85 for their top 6. Just something to consider.

BAcc
Regular: Mid 80s - Didn't know anyone with below an 83 back in 2012. Aim for 85+ to be on the safer side.
Co-op: High 80s - Heard of multiple people being rejected with 86s last year. Aim for 88+ again to be on the safer side.

BBA/BSc International Dual Degree Program (EBS)
Co-op High 80s - Low 90s - Most people seem to enter with a 90+. This is a co-op only program I believe.

*Projected cut-offs taken from here.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hey there, after reading all these comments it has been helpful.

One question:

For BAcc, how many courses are there per semester? And how many hours a week were you in class?

I am just wondering about first year but if you can tell me more that would be great!

Thanks a lot!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

There are typically 5 courses per semester, and on average around 14-16 hours of class per week.

You can find out which courses you will take in first year and what averages you need to maintin on this site http://www.brocku.ca/webcal/undergrad/busi.html#sec18

Feel free to ask if you have any more Qs!
Was this helpful? Yes 0