yconic - 5th Year Brock BBA/BAcc Co-op student, ask me anything! (IB and Big 4 Co-op)
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

5th Year Brock BBA/BAcc Co-op student, ask me anything! (IB and Big 4 Co-op)

I'm basically always on here so figured might as well make one of these and help out any prospective students.

Background:
- First 2 years spent as BBA Co-op student, secured first coop term through BBA
- Transferred into BAcc Co-op after 2 years
- Currently doing a spring semester

You kinda get the best of both worlds since I have been in all (both) the programs offered at the Goodman School of Business!

And since I know these are gonna be popular Qs:

WHEN SEARCHING FOR 1ST CO-OP:
- Avg (both major and overall) ~80%
- ECs: Leadership position in a club, some entrepreneurial stuff, sports stuff
- Work XP: General accounting internship at no-name organization doing very basic stuff, manual labour

INTERVIEWS:
Since attending Brock, I have received interview requests from:

Company / Quantity / (Co-op vs summer intern, Location) 

RBC x 3 (Various positions, co-op x2 and summer intern x1, Toronto)
Big 4 Audit x3 (1x Co-op and 1x Summer intern, Toronto...1 x Co-op in Calgary)
Big 4 Summer Leadership Conferences x2 (Toronto)
CPP Investment Board x2 (Summer Analyst, Toronto)
Scotiabank (Co-op, Toronto)
Grant Thornton Audit (Co-op, Toronto)
Canadian Tire (Co-op, GTA)
Ontario Securities Commission (CPA position, summer intern, Toronto)
Mercedes-Benz Financial Services (Co-op, GTA)
TeamBuy .ca (Summer intern, Toronto)
Imperial Oil (Co-op, Calgary)
Suncor (Co-op, Calgary)
Regional CPA firm (Co-op, Hamilton area)
Small CPA firm (Co-op, Niagara region)
Publicly traded minerals company (Co-op, Toronto)
OMERS Pension Fund (Co-op, Toronto)
Big 5 Canadian Bank Capital Markets x2 (Co-op, Toronto)
Husky Energy (Summer intern, Calgary)
Accenture Consulting (Full time, Toronto)
McKinsey Consulting (Full time, Eastern Europe)

AT TIME OF APPLYING TO UNIVERSITY (September 2012 Entry):
- Rejected from BAcc Co-op
- Accepted to BBA Co-op with 83.5% top 6

WHEN LANDING BIG 4 AUDIT CO-OP:
- Joined B4 Audit in January 2016
- Done 8 months of co-op, not at an accounting firm
- Major average ~85, overall ~80+
- ECs, unchanged from when applying to first co-op
- Completed a couple certificates in excel

ADVICE FOR CURRENT STUDENTS WHO WANT TO GET INTO B4 BUT DIDN'T/WON'T FOR THEIR FIRST COOP:
- Get public accounting experience somewhere else. This is basically a must. I believe I was the only upper year hired from my school into B4 this past term without prior public experience. It's something I noticed during recruiting
- If you have the above, grades matter a bit less. Yes you still want to do as best as you can, but a high 70 is OK enough if you have prior XP. An 80+ is still ideal though
- Be prepared to explain why you left your previous employer (and don't speak poorly about them)

That's basically it. So feel free to ask me anything and I'll try to answer your Qs as best as I can!

*Even if nobody has posted in this topic for a while, feel free to do so, chances are I'm still lurking on here

Was this helpful? Yes 2
1004 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
How does the rank-match process work for co-op? I volunteered for the income tax clinic but I heard its not good to work for CRA for first co-op. Why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sasha S Sasha S
Because CRA sucks for career progression. See other posts in this thread for rank match process. Basically you rank them, they rank you, and if you rank each other as each other's top choice, then you match.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi Sasha! I was wondering if you had to provide references when applying for co-op?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Some places ask, some places don't. Have some ready in case.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

How easy is it to stand out on Brock BACC co-op? Are kids here extremely competitive for exec positions? How's deca at Brock? Is calculus a killer?

Sorry for all the Q's lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Nah calc is easy, lots of people pull 90+. Every year there are some keen kids but overall it's pretty meh, I never found landing positions to be difficult. Idk I don't do DECA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I have actg 1p12 with Zhang Xia. Any experience with her?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Never heard of her
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So how would you rate the applicability of really advanced math skills in business, do you think people trained on the math side of business, whatever that is are going to have an advantage?

So would these math skills be transferable among various business industries or would it be specialized like insurance actuary?

Is it true that women make up 60% of the campus, wherever you are, as well what about in business, I'm guessing it would be about even gender wise.

Also the economy is booming, hopefully it does not turn to bust in 4 years (or now) but in case its still boom times when I apply for coop next year, will I see an easier hiring market?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

There's a place for quant abilities but if you want to use those chances are you won't be in a typical "business" role, maybe something more like programming/hardcore analysis. Being good with numbers/logic is never a bad thing, and employers look upon those skills favorably.

Easily 60% if not more, however business is closer to 50/50 or maybe 60/40 in favor of men. 

If the economy is booming when you're applying you should see a stronger hiring market
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi Sasha,

Is it important to attend CPA Day? I have class on both of those days... should I skip class to attend?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ya I would go if you think you have a chance at making a good impression
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Can a person who majors in marketing go into management as well? And is it possible that you can give a example of a career, thank you very much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Would you recommend concentrating in finance or information systems?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

For a first co-op term which company would be better in you're opinion? EY or Grant Thornton? What are the advantages and negatives for both?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

EY is the better option. Grant Thornton is good but it is not a big 4 firm and doesnt have the same type of clients (Fortune 500, FTSE 250, other large prestigous clients the big 4 audits).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Sasha what's youre answer for both companies?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hello Sasha,
I am 2nd year Brock BBA Co-op student and thinking of taking FNCE as major in 3rd year. I was wondering how important is to join a club in Brock to land a Co-op and I know ACTG is top-notch in Brock but I am curious about other majors that if we would have a chance to compete against different Universities and land a Co-op in solid - decent firm?  Do you know anyone who secured a good placement with different major such as FNCE or BBA Co-op ACTG.  
Thank you so much. 
Was this helpful? Yes 0