yconic - 999 Community Hours..Can you do more and how do they appear on transcript??
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

999 Community Hours..Can you do more and how do they appear on transcript??

A photo of kitkat1 kitkat1
Is it true that you can’t do more than 999 hours of community service. I’ve been told of this by my guidance counsellor and also that they cant input hours past that number. I would appreciate if anyone has done past this mark and how do they appear on the transcript? Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
No idea but it doesn't really matter anyway. Universities won't care whether you do 1500 or 700 h. I did 700 h of community service in hs (IB required at least 150 h) but I only documented 300 h just to make it less of a hassle so I wouldn't have to fill out so many forms.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rela Rela
Not true. In fact, there is a scholarship available for doing 1000/5000 community service hours. A graduate last year somehow managed to do more than 5000 hours of community service and got a huge scholarship. It's something really rare but can happen, you just have to put a lot of dedication into it. He ended up going to UPenn.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
^ I'm assuming that's an external scholarship that you have to apply for? Yeah external scholarships will look at things like community involvement, leadership roles etc but I was referring to internal scholarships/university admissions since most universities don't offer scholarships for 1000+ community hours as the majority of their entrance scholarships are based on marks (that I know of).

At my hs, they only checked off whether or not you completed the min. 40 h. Any external scholarships you apply to will require some sort of supplementary application anyway and you can document your 1000+ h of community service there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Some scholarship applications I have filled out did ask to put the number of hours per week spent on activities, but most only care about what you did, not the amount of time you spent.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Doop Doop
The question isn't can't, but why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks everyone for the replies, Im in grade 12 right now and Ive done 500 hours, while Ive also accumulated 800 hours in the past two years. However, when I went to school’s guidance counsellor, I was told that they can only input upto 999 hours. But anyways, my main concern is to be eligible and competitive for external scholarships based on academics and community involvement. So, if any of you are aware of any of these external scholarships, please let me know:cheese: I have figured that on the Ontario official transcript, it’s only a checkmark beside community service, which indicates the completion of 40 hours. However, I remember seeing this other document- credit counselling summary/unofficial transcript which actually stated the # volunteer hours..but again this document is not sent to scholarships etc. Also, if we state a number of vol hours on an application, I was wondering how would they verify, I mean not that anyone would lie on such a thing but if its on your transcript then that’s a proof. But it isn’t apparently :!
P.S: Has anyone here applied for the loran award before? This year they have made the application process online, does that mean that the school nomination person has to also type up their response..any advices regarding the loran? Also for the school nomination, just to make sure, the principal signs your application and then it also asks that the nominating school write a paragraph about the student’s eligibility- can it be a teacher writing this response here since they have a better sense of a student’s character? Thanks!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I will reiterate: Most external scholarships don't care about the quantity of your volunteer work, but rather the quality. So if you have hundreds of hours, or even a thousand hours, but those were completed by doing menial volunteer work, that won't look very good. If you were in a leadership role or doing something innovative, that will count way more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@Rela wrote
Not true. In fact, there is a scholarship available for doing 1000/5000 community service hours.

Can you please send me any info/link about this scholarship. Thanks in advance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0