yconic - 999 Community Hours..Can you do more and how do they appear on transcript??
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

999 Community Hours..Can you do more and how do they appear on transcript??

A photo of kitkat1 kitkat1
Is it true that you can’t do more than 999 hours of community service. I’ve been told of this by my guidance counsellor and also that they cant input hours past that number. I would appreciate if anyone has done past this mark and how do they appear on the transcript? Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of gingerbread343 gingerbread343
Maybe it depends on the school board. At my school, anyone who has completed 40 hours of community work will have it shown on the transcript. So it doesn't matter if someone has done 41 or 1000 hours, it still shows forty. Having said this, it still builds your resume for when you're applying for a job =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
for the transcript I think it just has a checkmark that they're completed or says 40. but yeah volunteering is always good for job apps, and for university programs that require a supplementary app.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725
My school doesn't even input past 40 hours.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kitkat1 kitkat1
Thanks everyone for the replies, Im in grade 12 right now and Ive done 500 hours, while Ive also accumulated 800 hours in the past two years. However, when I went to school’s guidance counsellor, I was told that they can only input upto 999 hours. But anyways, my main concern is to be eligible and competitive for external scholarships based on academics and community involvement. So, if any of you are aware of any of these external scholarships, please let me know:cheese: I have figured that on the Ontario official transcript, it’s only a checkmark beside community service, which indicates the completion of 40 hours. However, I remember seeing this other document- credit counselling summary/unofficial transcript which actually stated the # volunteer hours..but again this document is not sent to scholarships etc. Also, if we state a number of vol hours on an application, I was wondering how would they verify, I mean not that anyone would lie on such a thing but if its on your transcript then that’s a proof. But it isn’t apparently :!
P.S: Has anyone here applied for the loran award before? This year they have made the application process online, does that mean that the school nomination person has to also type up their response..any advices regarding the loran? Also for the school nomination, just to make sure, the principal signs your application and then it also asks that the nominating school write a paragraph about the student’s eligibility- can it be a teacher writing this response here since they have a better sense of a student’s character? Thanks!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of michaelplease michaelplease
Most scholarships have some form of verification. For example, the Loran Award requires your counsellor/principal to sign your application verifying your stated activities.

Re the school nomination, I think the idea is to have your counsellor or principal (school administrator/official) fill it out. But you could ask the Loran people if a teacher is okay.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
For those external scholarships there is usually a supplementary app where you can detail your volunteering and other ECs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted