yconic - A different "Will I get in" post
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

A different "Will I get in" post

A photo of silliestgoose silliestgoose
So I'm in the same position like a lot of other people, I'm completely unsure if universities will accept me, however my case is a bit different and I'll explain why

so like many other people I'm applying to the following, among others which of course would be backups that I'm not worried about

Schulich iBBA
Rotman Commerce
Queens Commerce
Ivey AEO
Waterloo AFM (CA CO OP)
Laurier BBA

now my marks are as follows and estimated

English-90 (already obtained)
Adv Functions-85 (Very good estimate)
Accounting-90(perhaps more, I don't know I have it next semester)
International business-90 (same as above)
Computer science-90 (same as above)
Calculus-85 (rough estimate, but could be much higher considering I may take it at a private online school, so this is a decent estimate)

giving me an average of 88.3

now ECs include
Vice President of student council
Head/president of inter-club council
Head/president of school's general council (basically student council for grades 9 and 10)
Two jobs over the past two years,both retail sales, SEARS and GEOX, GEOX was sales on commission
member of international club grade 11+12 (club for international issues and fundarising)
Executive on PRIDE leadership committee (not gay pride lol, its a support group that helps all other clubs in terms of funds and extra help)
Debate Team member Grade 12
Reach Team member grade 11
Eco club member grade 12
Vast number of hours spent volunteering for Volunteering Peel, which is an organization that has a number of different volunteering opportunities posted throughout the year, and you can sign up for them through the site

I'm an enhanced student and attended an enhanced program for a year but due to unforseen circumstances I couldn't stay

Im also multilingual and am fluent in both urdu and hindi and can get by in conversation in arabic, farsi, and punjabi. And possess, what I believe to be very strong speaking and writing skills

however what sets me aside from everyone else is an unfortunate incident that occurred at my school.
and it saddens me a lot to have to say this played a huge impact on myself and a vast majority of our school, and has, in most cases, drastically decreased the grades of many and prevented them from reaching full potential.
We had a murder-suicide during september, and both of the students that were involved were close friends of mine. and because of the controversial nature of the incident, it's up to the president and vice president to bring the students together.

now I wanted to know if universities would take this into account, and with this said what are my chances for getting admission into the programs I'd mentioned

I want to thank everyone for reading and thanks for any advice and input given
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of goldstorm goldstorm
mississauga secondary?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yup
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You will get into queens if ur essay is good. your ECs are great for all those Unis.
You will get into Rotman, Queens, Laurier

You will need a higher mark (around 91) to get into schulich and ivey
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I don't mean to be rude or offensive, so please don't take this the wrong way
but how can you say that with confidence?

like do you know people in the programs with similar averages?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

ohh yea and you will get invited for sure to do ur AFMAA for waterloo
Just bring up your marks to a 91+ and you will be fine for everything
Also i suggest switching to schulich bba as opposed to ibba since your average is not that high
Was this helpful? Yes 0

if ur above an 87 for queens, its all up to your supplementary as marks don't matter up to that point.
laurier's cut off is a high 80 and ur pretty much there. with ur ECs it should be easy for you to get in that.
Rotman cut off isn't that high either. your mark will be fine
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
I'm sure you could explain it in the special circumstances section. For some of the essay supplementary applications, it could be something you could mention (I don't really know the format for them as much).

A competitive average for AFM Chartered Accountancy is 90-95, so your average is a little low. Your ECs seem to be quite good, so that should help. It will likely come down to how well you do on the AFMAA. It's always the unknown for AFM. If you can keep up that average though or even boost it, you'll almost definitely get into Business & Finance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
I believe QC, Ivey, Schulich, Rotman and UW provide sections to list special/extenuating circumstances. I'll be honest to say that writing here may or not help your case at all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of englishbuff englishbuff

@goldstorm wrote
if ur above an 87 for queens, its all up to your supplementary as marks don't matter up to that point.
laurier's cut off is a high 80 and ur pretty much there. with ur ECs it should be easy for you to get in that.
Rotman cut off isn't that high either. your mark will be fine

That's not necessarily true,
I know a girl who had a 94 average and good ECs last year.
She was accepted to all the business schools she applied for (ivey, schulich, rotman) EXCEPT queen's commerce.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
I believe QC, Ivey, Schulich, Rotman and UW provide sections to list special/extenuating circumstances. I'll be honest to say that writing here may or not help your case at all.

yea I know that but it still provides me a comfort for some reason, knowing what to expect, or steps I should take
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ElIipsis ElIipsis
Schulich, Ivey, AFM, QC, Rotman all have sections in which you can specify extenuation circumstances.

With your current projected average, QC, considering your ECs, should be achievable. Just make sure to write some kick-ass essays.

Which reminds me, the supplementary essays are a great place to really come through with your situation at school. Remind yourself, and the essay judicator, that your situation isn't going to drag you down.

Try to raise your average into the 90's for a really good chance at your other options - because unfortunately, the best way to gauge intelligence via university applications is reflected in your marks. And of course, the cliche 'get yourself together', 'prioritize', 'do your homework' blah blah blah.

tl;dr - try to get your mark in the 90s, write some awesome essays (proofread 9000 times, be personal, be clever), pull it all together.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheConsultant TheConsultant
Well i can speak for QC and tell you that everything in your app wil be fine, grades and EC's are great so its now all about your essays. Youve had what one would call an extraordinary experience and you can reflect on that and incorporate it to make a very good and very unique essay. You will stand out. while what happened is horrible, you as a person need to move on from it and grow as a result of it and if you can show that you can/ have you can write an excellent essay. In all honesty i can see exactly what you could write and as a current student I can say that you have serious potential to be a fellow QC'er but its up to you to reflect on your life and deliver.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

lol lets hope I can write those super unique and beautiful essays
Was this helpful? Yes 0