yconic - A few questions about Chestnut
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

A few questions about Chestnut

A photo of dodoburd dodoburd
So I got into Chestnut and I have a few questions:

1) The network code says we can't have any wireless routers in the room. Does this mean that there is provided wireless?
If that is not the case, am I allowed to use the ad-hoc feature on my laptop to create am temporary network for my iPod?

2) Can someone PM the DC++ hub address or tell me how to find it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Did you apply to Chestnut originally?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm in Engineering, so I indicated New and 89 as my preferences. I liked both for their merits, so it doesn't really matter to me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@dodoburd wrote
So I got into Chestnut and I have a few questions:

1) The network code says we can't have any wireless routers in the room. Does this mean that there is provided wireless?
If that is not the case, am I allowed to use the ad-hoc feature on my laptop to create am temporary network for my iPod?

2) Can someone PM the DC++ hub address or tell me how to find it?

1. Internet in your room is wired, while the common room on the top floor has free wireless. And yes, you can ad-hoc your wifi for a mobile device - I did it every day when I was in chestnut, since the signal was relatively weak it didn't interfere with anything. In fact you can actually set up your own wireless router as long as the signal is not in the 5 Ghz range where it could cause interference. I know some people who did so and they had no problems, since the signal was too weak to be received outside their room.

2. You pirate. (jk) I don't know what the dc++ address is but by setting a very low cap on my torrenting upload rate, I avoided detection all the time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@machoTS wrote

1. Internet in your room is wired, while the common room on the top floor has free wireless. And yes, you can ad-hoc your wifi for a mobile device - I did it every day when I was in chestnut, since the signal was relatively weak it didn't interfere with anything. In fact you can actually set up your own wireless router as long as the signal is not in the 5 Ghz range where it could cause interference. I know some people who did so and they had no problems, since the signal was too weak to be received outside their room.

What is there to interfere with? Houses are fine with wireless, why is the rez special?
Was this helpful? Yes 0