yconic - A few questions I have about Laurier, Rotman and Schulich .
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

A few questions I have about Laurier, Rotman and Schulich .

A photo of melissazhang melissazhang
Rotman & Laurier:
1) Average required? What is considered competitive?
2) How many people are in a class?
3) How many people are in the program?
4) Do you need to be extremely involved in extra-curricular activities?
5) Tuition? I heard it was $13000 for Rotman.
6) How is student life there?
7) What do people like about this program over other business programs?
8) For Laurier is there more of a focus on economics in comparison to other universities?

Schulich:
1) What are the chances of me getting accepted into Schulich with a 90% average?
2) I know extra-curricular activities are just as important as marks but what is considered enough?
3) Also busing from where I live to schulich is around 1.5 - 2 hours.. will i be guaranteed residence? And if not, should I rent a place around the area?
4) How's the student life there?
5) I read in another post that Schulich doesn't allow double majors?..
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz
All answers for Laurier:
1) 86 or 87.
2) Depends on the class. Your first year BUS classes will be large (180 with your lab being about 30), however as soon as you hit 2nd year they drop down to around 50 or 60.
3) 600 + 120-150 DD's
4) No.
5) $5000 or so. Co-op fees are around $550.
6) Great.
7) Co-op.
8) No. Laurier's #1 program is its business program (beside DD of course), for the BBA program you're required to take 4 econ courses, although another 2 will get you an econ minor.

For Schulich:
1) Get a 92 and you'll get in. 90 is borderline.
2) They just want to see you're involved. Upsell what you have, marks are most important.
3) The Village (right beside York) is entirely student living. However, you should be able to get rez.
4) Schulich itself is great, rest of York is ehhhh.
5) You wont have the timetable space to get a second major. I can't really think of any Business double major progams. You can try the Double Degree program with UW/WLU, or the Dual Degree at Western. I think Queens might have a dual degree program too, but I'm not sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks Nick0rz! Also for co-op , I know that not everyone gets it, what should i do to ensure that I have this oppourtunity? Could you also tell me a little bit more about the student life there? It's because I live in Toronto and Waterloo is apparently"in the middle of no where".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
For Rotman:
1) Average required? What is considered competitive? High 80s - stick to above 89
4) Do you need to be extremely involved in extra-curricular activities? Depends how well you want to succeed in your career.
5) Tuition? 6 or 7k first year, then jumps to 14k ish after first year.
6) How is student life there? Good. Downtown Toronto; you can't go wrong.
7) What do people like about this program over other business programs? UofT is famous.

Schulich:
1) What are the chances of me getting accepted into Schulich with a 90% average? A lot higher if you raised your average to 91. Really depends on if you have stellar EC's or not.
2) I know extra-curricular activities are just as important as marks but what is considered enough? It's hard to answer this; as always, they look for quality over quantity. Ideally, you would be deeply involved in a few activities and hold leadership positions. Job experience is great too. Make sure you have two excellent reference letters.
3) Also busing from where I live to schulich is around 1.5 - 2 hours.. will i be guaranteed residence? And if not, should I rent a place around the area? You're guaranteed rez if you apply before the deadline. From what I hear, Pond is pretty nice. It takes me 1.5 hours to bus too, but I'm living at home. It's fine since you only really have 15 hours of classes per week.
4) How's the student life there? Better than people think it is. (:
5) I read in another post that Schulich doesn't allow double majors? You won't be able to fit it in your schedule and graduate on time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks aeryn ! I just have a few more questions. I heard that UofT doesn't really have great support when students need help or clarification.. like the profs I guess, is it true?

Also for schulich i just want to double check, Is tuition around 7k for all 4 years?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Happy to help! (:

To be honest, I haven't heard much about support for students at UofT, but I think that because it's such a large program, it'll be more difficult to get help from profs. I just know that the profs here are really helpful, and they all know their students' names.

You can probably tell I'm really biased towards Schulich :P One other thing you should consider is the career support. Schulich has its own Career Development Centre, which basically babies you. They do everything from resume reviews to workshops and hosting networking events. Two months before school even started, in August, I was already getting emails every week from them about all the opportunities available. They're a big help for getting job experience :)

And yep, 7k tuition for all four years. Plus there's the automatic renewable entrance scholarship - from 1k to 3k every year, if you keep your marks up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Haha, I'm glad you really like Schulich, i can see that you made the right decision for yourself :) Schulich is definitely my top priority right now but I'm just wondering, where else did you apply to and why did you choose not to go there in the end?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
I also applied to:

Rotman Commerce
Waterloo - Actuarial Science
Waterloo - AFM-PA
UofT Scarborough - Coop Management
York - Glendon for Economics

Didn't go to Waterloo because I wanted to stay in the GTA and it would be a lot cheaper to live at home. I also wasn't sure that accounting or actsci was what I wanted to do.

Didn't go to Rotman because well... I thought Schulich was the better program.

I was a bit tempted to go to UTSC because of coop, but I liked the iBBA program better (:

And well..didn't go to Glendon because although I wanted to perfect my French, Glendon's business program wasn't good enough.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

omg! So are you studying french in your iBBA program as your language study? I'm in extended french right now and I know I want to continue in university. Is it much harder? I feel like my french is horrible and we keep learning the same things :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Yep, studying French here (: No, it shouldn't be too hard since they make you do a placement test beforehand so they can put you into the right level. You'll probably get French 2060, which is basically marketing, but taught in French. Don't worry, it's not difficult. I think it's actually slightly easier than my grade 12 French class, but maybe that was just my prof.
Was this helpful? Yes 0