yconic - A few questions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

A few questions

A photo of Matthew Matthew
Hi,

I'm not entirely sure whether I want to go into financial analysis or Investment Banking, but either way, I'd like to do some sort of math heavy business.

I'm applying to:

Queens Commerce
Western science degree major in financial modelling+AEO
Rotman Commerce
Waterloo general math
Waterloo FARM
Waterloo/Laurier Math+BBA
Laurier BBA
Degroote commerce.

I expect to graduate with a 88 or 89 average. My ECs are:
Robotics executive member/team leader
Deca
Part time job as a ski instructor
Volunteered at a summer camp in the summer
Member of my schools GSA(Gay straight alliance)
Not sure if this counts for anything, but I have my NLS and First Aid and everything. I can't really put anyone as a reference for that though.

My questions are:

Which of the schools I'm applying to do I have a chance of getting into?

And, for all the trash-talking everyone does about schools, will any of these schools/programs not help me get into the career path I mentioned earlier?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of g93 g93
You should be competitive for most. Try and push your average up over 90, as your ECs aren't amazing (better than mine :colours), then you will have a better shot for Ivey and Queen's and DD.

Queen's and Ivey are the best for IB. I hear Rotman is alright (UofT name), but not nearly as good as Queen's/Ivey.

Laurier and Degroote are not good for IB (and I really love Laureir and am planning to go there, so I'm not bashing it without cause)

I am really not sure how the math programs would be really. But Queen's and Ivey are definitely be the top two for IB.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Matthew Matthew
Alright, thanks for the help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noble11 noble11
If your into "heavy math business," then the waterloo/laurier DD would be suitable. If you like long hours good pay, then give IB a shot. In the end, graduating from any of the aforementioned programs will be good and all are related to your desired career path.
Was this helpful? Yes 0