yconic - A question for onterio students..and people who knows a lot about waterloo
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

A question for onterio students..and people who knows a lot about waterloo

A photo of harmony harmony
U guys, now I'm considering to attend Waterloo in 2012..
However, since I'm in Alberta, I don't quite understand the course equivalence.
Do you guys know what does "6 Ontario grade 12 university (U) preparation or university/college (M) preparation courses or equivalents" this mean? Like what are the "U" and "M" courses? In Alberta, we have something like, ex, for English, we seperated into the 2 main catagories. ELA 30-1 and ELA 30-2, with -1 the better course, looked by universities.
So is the "U" courses kind of like our "-1" courses with the "M" course like our "-2" courses?

There's also something else I don't understand. Look, they said "6 Ontario grade 12 university (U) preparation or university/college (M) preparation courses or equivalents". 6 courses in total right? So when I cheecked the course equivalent page, they said
"Other minimum requirements

High School diploma with 5 academic courses at the 30 or 31 level.
Physical Education 30 and Career and Technology Studies courses are not acceptable academic courses.
For admission purposes, two 3-credit 30-level academic courses may be considered equivalent to one 5-credit 30-level academic course. "
One thing I don't understand is does the 6 course I use for admission have to be core? or can it be options or Physical education etc? Because they said the "Physical Education 30 and Career and Technology Studies courses are not acceptable academic courses." this part kind of messing me up. I'm all confused. Sorry if I'm too "no smart" for figuring out what they are talking about.

Thanks guys..I know I'm pretty messed up..:bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of sarahq93 sarahq93
you answered all your own questions except for this one:

One thing I don't understand is does the 6 course I use for admission have to be core? or can it be options or Physical education etc? Because they said the "Physical Education 30 and Career and Technology Studies courses are not acceptable academic courses." this part kind of messing me up.

Physical Education and Career & Tech are totally void. They do not count towards the six courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
A "U" course in Ontario would be equivalent to a "-1" course in Alberta, and a "C" (C for college-preparation) in Ontario would be equivalent to a "-2" course in Alberta. "M" courses are in between U and C courses (hence why they can also be referred to as U/C courses), and thus would be like a -1.5 in Alberta, if such a thing existed.

Basically, you need five courses that would prepare you for university in Alberta, though Phys Ed 30 and Careers and Technology Studies are not valid. So, if you're applying for science, this would most likely mean that you'd take biology, chemistry, physics, math/calculus (or whatever it's referred to in Alberta high schools), and English, all of which would have to be university preparatory.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
A "U" course in Ontario would be equivalent to a "-1" course in Alberta, and a "C" (C for college-preparation) in Ontario would be equivalent to a "-2" course in Alberta. "M" courses are in between U and C courses (hence why they can also be referred to as U/C courses), and thus would be like a -1.5 in Alberta, if such a thing existed.

Basically, you need five courses that would prepare you for university in Alberta, though Phys Ed 30 and Careers and Technology Studies are not valid. So, if you're applying for science, this would most likely mean that you'd take biology, chemistry, physics, math/calculus (or whatever it's referred to in Alberta high schools), and English, all of which would have to be university preparatory.

Thanks guys.
So basically if I have a 30-2 acedemic core, it won't do a thing for me right?
Also..Hmm..is social studies 30-1 okay then?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yep, Social 30-1 should be fine. Pretty much any course that you could put toward your top five for acceptance into, say, U of A, you can also use to get into Waterloo, as long as you also meet the requirements for the program you intend to be in at Waterloo (obviously).

I'm not sure if Phys Ed 30 and Careers and Technology Studies are -1 courses in Alberta or not, but, if they are, then they are exceptions to the rule that I mentioned above. Other than that, it seems like any -1 course is fair game.

When you've got all the courses you want to take in grade 12 figured out, I suggest you email your list of those courses to a counselor at Waterloo, asking if those courses would be suitable for meeting the admission requirements.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yep, Social 30-1 should be fine. Pretty much any course that you could put toward your top five for acceptance into, say, U of A, you can also use to get into Waterloo, as long as you also meet the requirements for the program you intend to be in at Waterloo (obviously).

I'm not sure if Phys Ed 30 and Careers and Technology Studies are -1 courses in Alberta or not, but, if they are, then they are exceptions to the rule that I mentioned above. Other than that, it seems like any -1 course is fair game.

When you've got all the courses you want to take in grade 12 figured out, I suggest you email your list of those courses to a counselor at Waterloo, asking if those courses would be suitable for meeting the admission requirements.

Thanks. But the program I'm aiming for is CMF ( http://cfm.uwaterloo.ca/become/admission.html) and they said they want 6 subject? that's why I'm a little confused about if option (CTS) or physical education can be counted towards it.
It's odd that a program requires 6 subject..at least it seems strange to me..
5 is totally different than 6..>_<
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No, no. You need to take Pure Mathematics 30, Mathematics 31, English 30-1, and then two other courses that would be accepted as university preparatory by, say, U of A, other than Phys Ed 30 and Careers and Technology Studies. Five courses in total.

The six course requirement only applies to Ontario students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No, no. You need to take Pure Mathematics 30, Mathematics 31, English 30-1, and then two other courses that would be accepted as university preparatory by, say, U of A, other than Phys Ed 30 and Careers and Technology Studies. Five courses in total.

The six course requirement only applies to Ontario students.

Gee..Thanks! I was totally stunned when they said "6"..
So 5 courses for us Albertans will do for Waterloo..=D
Thank you so much, what a relief..:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No problem.

Yeah, they probably want to make their requirements pretty similar to that of U of A's, or U of C's or U of L's. They don't want to deter Alberta students from applying to their programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0