yconic - A quote that makes you wonder...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

A quote that makes you wonder...

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1
A classmate of mine had this quote and I found it interesting. So why not share..
there was a picture but i dont know how to post pictures...

"We succeeded in taking that picture [from deep space], and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity -- in all this vastness -- there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us. It's been said that astronomy is a humbling, and I might add, a character-building experience. To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known." - Carl Sagan

It amazing that we are competing over that small dot.:cyclops: :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of BillyShears BillyShears
Pure bs. Why else do you think the Sun revolves around the Earth?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
Here's a quotation I like that is similar in theme:

"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Sahara. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively outnumbers the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here. We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?"

Richard Dawkins
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1

@littleroom wrote
Here's a quotation I like that is similar in theme:

"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Sahara. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively outnumbers the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here. We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?"

Richard Dawkins

Thats a nice one +1:compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@BillyShears wrote
Pure bs. Why else do you think the Sun revolves around the Earth?

Ya, well the Earth revolves around me :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
As a Christian fundamentalist I do not believe in Carl Sagan.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele

@Zion wrote
As a Christian fundamentalist I do not believe in Carl Sagan.

As a Zoroastrian Extremist, I do not believe in Christian fundamentalists.

Praise Zoroaster! :batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of paramecium paramecium
tl;dr
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NDelorme NDelorme
So many conflicts could be avoided if we just realized how small we are and how we fight over such insignificant things sometimes. I once read that if we placed the entire lifetime of the Earth over a calendar of one year, all humans that have ever existed would be placed in the last second at midnight on December 31st. Just goes to show we shouldn't be afraid of destroying the Earth - obviously it's been fine all of this time - we should be more worried about the Earth destroying us.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@NDelorme wrote
So many conflicts could be avoided if we just realized how small we are and how we fight over such insignificant things sometimes. I once read that if we placed the entire lifetime of the Earth over a calendar of one year, all humans that have ever existed would be placed in the last second at midnight on December 31st. Just goes to show we shouldn't be afraid of destroying the Earth - obviously it's been fine all of this time - we should be more worried about the Earth destroying us.

If only everyone thought like this....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Zion Zion

@NDelorme wrote

Someone's a George Carlin fan.
Was this helpful? Yes 0