yconic - Abortion
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Abortion

A photo of sdg13 sdg13
Cool story bro :thumleft:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
30 replies

A photo of MrRoboto MrRoboto
Cool story bro :thumleft:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Anti-abortion as well.
:batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AimForTheStars AimForTheStars
I don't believe in a God but I think abortion is wrong too
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26
Why is this in "A for Academics"? Anyway...

I don't think that abortion is so black and white. Context is important. For example, how about a rape victim? Should the mother in this case be forced to carry the child to term even if she is emotionally devastated by it? Who's rights "win" here, the child's or the mother's? How about someone who's a crack addict and happened to get knocked up? Should she also be forced to carry the child to term and have the child grow up in such an environment?

I'm not a "pro-choice" or "anti-abortion" person, because it's pretty tough to simply just pick a side for something like this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Blargg Blargg
Errr...you sign up for this forum just to post a controversial topic? Troll.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Penguineer Penguineer
Im going to be honest with you, Im pro-choice as long as it's done preferrable before theres any brain activity, or before it feels pain.

With those restrictions in mind, who am I, a gorvernment, or a collection of men (who will never be pregnant, have a wife or daughter who could become pregnant, or any experience with it at all for that matter) to tell a woman what to do with her body?
It's against the law to hurt people, yet people want to make it okay to force a woman to experience child birth?

You say, 40-50 million are aborted each year? Imagine they had been born and, assuming they were either unplanned or unwanted, the majority would have ended up in foster care or orphanages. There are upwards of 100,000 kids already up for adoption and in foster homes. You want to ADD 40-50 million into that? Those poor kids will probably never get adopted and will be bounced around from foster home to foster home. You hear a lot of the horror stories that come of those, of course there are many exceptions, but still, you never know.

And what about those pregnancies that weren't caused by negligence or stupidity? I got to a catholic school as well, and I've been told by my religion teacher and graphic anti-abortion propaganda posters that conception "is an act of God". So, this women getting pregnant via. sexual assault was a blessing? Perhaps. By why should SHE be forced to,
1. Go through 9 months of uncomfort
2. End those 9 months with a painful delivery
3. Take care of a child she never planned for, or probably wasn't ready for.
I understand that this isn't always the case, and that good has come from these unfortunate and unpleasent situations.

I agree that this is an important and sensitive topic but ultimately its a personal choice. It should be made by the WOMAN, with some consideration to her partner of course, and NOT about what society thinks.
I am afraid that someday I will live in a place where I, or any daughters I may have, will not be able to choose whether or not I have to give birth.

:) Just had to state my opinion
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of MrRoboto MrRoboto

@sdg13 wrote
While the baby may not be something that she wants wants to keep around,it is the baby that God ordained to be around. Can we take away what is not our's to give? NO, it's a gift. And even though sorrow and grief may come, that gift may be one that brings someone else out of their misery.

If you were raped and got AIDS, and there was a cure for AIDS, would you not take the cure because God ordained you to have AIDS?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@sdg13 wrote
It is terminating a fetus, which is a child. 40-50 MILLION babies are aborted every year. Those are 40-50 million lives that could be saved, 40-50 million children who could be adopted, given to people who cannot have their own children.

So, you're saying abortion helps cure overpopulation then? We need more abortions!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of clairec21 clairec21

@Gorges26 wrote
Why is this in "A for Academics"? Anyway...

+1

Abortions would happen whether they are legal or not. May as well have them legal so they can be performed properly and safely.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
Penguineer hit all the great points straight on.
SDG, if you are a man, -- which I presume you are, because no women in their right mind would say their main reason of creation was to have children -- then you have no right to make the choice for these women.
Additionally, your God argument is completely ridiculous. Adoption would be re-gifting, and nobody likes a re-gifter.

At what point does the baby truly become a living being? When it is the sperm? Then you will have killed millions of children in your lifetime. During fertilization? It is merely a collection of cells. In the womb? It is still not sentient.

This is of course, no light issue on the woman's behalf. I respect the strength it would take to go through an abortion. You are destroying the possibility of a child, but you are also protecting it from a life where it would be out of place and suffer a lot. There will of course always be people who carelessly abort, but I'm not here to make a call on behalf of all women and restrict the choice just because of the faults of a few.

It is their choice, and we're far enough in our society to not have to restrict the freedom of women based on ridiculous pretense of what is 'correct'.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of poeticallydemented poeticallydemented
Yeah, because um, this is definitely the most appropriate venue for this discussion...

In my opinion, if someone wants to provide that service, then fine, let them provide it. Doesn't mean that you have to go out and do it. Just because there's a crack dealer down the road doesn't mean you go smoke some crack. And just because that woman chooses to have an abortion doesn't mean that you have to. She will deal with her decision in her own way, whether she regrets it or not is her own business but it's not up to any of us to tell her that it was good or bad. Do you think she wanted to get that abortion? Probably not. It's not like she knocked herself up for the sole purpose of going out and getting an abortion. From what I've been told, it's not a pleasant thing to do. But in the same way that it's unfair to deny that child life, it's unfair to the woman to make her carry a child she doesn't want. What if she was raped? Is twelve years old? Is abortion right for everyone all the time? No. Is it reality? Yes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@sdg13 wrote
I am a Christian. Being a Christian definitely shows me how wrong abortion is, and I wish to share some of that with you and hopefully help you change your view. Abortion is murder. It is terminating a fetus, which is a child. 40-50 MILLION babies are aborted every year. Those are 40-50 million lives that could be saved, 40-50 million children who could be adopted, given to people who cannot have their own children.

Look at this : at 28 days since conception the child already has a detectable heartbeat, 43 days- detectable brainwaves, at 9-13 weeks the child is able to feel pain (most abortions are conducted at this time). Abortion is murder. All of those things show that what is growing inside of the womb is a human being. And having an abortion is taking the life of a child.

You begin my stating that it is your Christianity which has shown you why abortion is wrong, yet you then go on to use statistics to support your case. I'm not bothered by your second line of argument, but I have a suspicion that those are secondary reasons why you believe abortion is wrong. Mainly, your criticisms of abortion seem to stem from your idea that every child is a gift from God, and that we have no right to play with his creation. As genuine as these ideas are for you, realize that they're not genuine for everyone else, and you have to give us secular, humanistic reasons why you believe abortion is wrong to convince a secular nation, and on the whole, secular people.

Before you go on talking more about how every child is a gift from God, I can't help but ask you what your view of miscarriages is, then? Within the first two weeks of pregnancy, 75% of "children," as you would put them, are spontaneously aborted. This isn't the choice of the mother. It seems that God, in his wisdom, is routinely choosing to take back a gift he decided to give just two weeks ago. And what of monozygotic twins? Did he first give one gift, which then in a flight of generosity, decide to split it into two gifts? When you realize that pregnancy is not as simple as being one zygote-one child, you realize how silly the whole "gift of God" argument is.

You also don't seem to really see how much you're assuming when you say something like, "a fetus is a child." Firstly, you're going to have to define what a child is. Then, you're going to have to show that a fetus is exactly that.

My point of view is that if we can demonstrate that an embryo, at some point during pregnancy (whether that be the beginning, never, or somewhere in between), is a human, then that will be enough to show that abortion at and after that point is murder. In this case, no justification would suffice abortion at and after that point, as no justification is enough for justifying the murder of another human being. If we fail to demonstrate that an embryo is ever a human, then no justification is necessary.

@Penguineer wrote
Im pro-choice as long as it's done preferrable before theres any brain activity, or before it feels pain.

There exist adults that cannot feel pain. No one would even consider killing those adults because they can't feel pain.

But, I agree with your first point, which is that abortion is fine before brain activity. I define being human as having brain activity, and I have, to my knowledge, U.S. law to support me on this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
Why do religious people find it necessary to fall back on religion for every argument?

Pro-choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I'm Catholic but pro-choice. Pro-life for myself, I don't think I could ever go through with an abortion, it would destroy me emotionally. But I respect that other women may not feel the same way and it's better to give them a safe choice then have them try to rid themselves of the fetus in other ways. I also believe that an abortion would be a better alternative than being born to parents who did not want you, aren't ready to take care of a child and a subsequent life of neglect and/or abuse. Some people should not be parents.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@inthemaking wrote
I'm Catholic but pro-choice.

How do you reconcile your views on abortion, and your being Catholic, with the Vatican's standing on abortion?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of food13 food13
i am muslim and in my religion abortion is wrong. With this in mind, if a woman is raped she is allowed to abort the child.

I am also concerend about abortion and stem cell research. People are either for it or against it...i am obviously for it...but with that opinion, i want to just state the fact that with all those unborn fetuses, it would be wise to use them for stem cell research. Some people might shun me for this thought...but just think about it!

If we used the aborted fetuses (that no one is likely gonna use) we can then help save lives of people who are already alive...those fetuses would be very helpful for other people.

I would also like to say that even though abortion is wrong, it is only acceptable if a woman is raped...she can either have a choice to abort the baby or not.

Going back the the stem thing...

the fetuses should not be bought because then people would just abort their baby for money...and in this world...some people would do that!

(sorry for rambling on about the stem cell research thing...its just that while i was reading the comments this type of research was ALL i could think about)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking

@littleroom wrote

@inthemaking wrote

How do you reconcile your views on abortion, and your being Catholic, with the Vatican's standing on abortion?

I don't really know how to explain it but it's the same way I reconcile believing in creationism and evolution at the same time. I'm not super religious though, I do believe in God but I don't attend church regularly.

I guess at the root of it all, I do believe that abortion is ending another life, but to me, living a low-quality life where your parents can't financially/emotionally take care of you because they were too young, or if you were the product of rape and know that you weren't wanted/will forever be associated with that memory for your mother, that to me is worse than abortion. At least in abortion, the fetus doesn't have the cognitive abilities to recognize what is happening to it. So I agree with the Church's principal message that abortion is wrong, and in an ideal world where there's no rape and people only have sex when they're ready for a baby, I would be pro-life. But since that's not the case, I would rather women have the choice to do it safely rather than bring another unwanted baby into the world.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
Someone who wasn't planning on becoming pregnant hasn't been eating what they should be eating to support a child. The lack of folic acid can cause neural tube defects such as spina bifida or Anencephaly (being born without a brain). The first month is the most important time for proper nutrition. That being said, most people who don't plan on becoming pregnant aren't getting the proper amount of folic acid for a baby. And they don't find out that they're pregnant until after the first month.

The same thing goes for people who drink alcohol - the first month is the most important (neurons are being produced at 100 000 /minute - actual fact!). 9/1000 babies are born with fetal alcohol syndrome.

These things being said, an unplanned pregnancy may end better in an abortion than to be carried to term.

Just saying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of krisjpitt krisjpitt
I am 20 years old, and have actually gone through this myself. I know that there are arguments on both side, very strong ones. All i wanted to add to this was personal experience to anyone who may be going through it or even just wanted to open their mind to both sides and chose on their own. I went through this when i was 18 years old, actually 2 days after my 18th, and not for a moment did i regret it. I was also raised christian (though i currently am "athiest" as i dont beleive at 20yrs old i know enough about the world to make a discisiion on what i beleive) but religion or not I already have two adopted little siblings and I have had to deal with adoption services and the government child services for a few years now and it has opened my eyes to HOW MANY HUNDREDS of children there are at this very second that have been brought into this world unloved, unprepared for and undersetimated as a responsibility. I made my descision against the only other person who knew about it at the time (my first love, the father, we had broken up 2 months before i foud out) but i stood strong with my choice. My mother struggled to bring me up and gave me everything she had to give so that i could live my life one day, and to carry on with a huge thing like motherhood would completely dismiss all she did for me. my sister was 21 by the time she 6 kids and my family is worn thin to the bone to take care of most of them (some were adopted out).

of course there is the whole "murder" concept to it, then theres the scientific mumbo jumbo about how its not alive yet or something liek that, but try to remember that sometimes it really is the best logical, or humane, or healthy thing to do.

anyways theres my view on it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele

@inthemaking wrote

@littleroom wrote

@inthemaking wrote

I don't really know how to explain it but it's the same way I reconcile believing in creationism and evolution at the same time. I'm not super religious though, I do believe in God but I don't attend church regularly.

I guess at the root of it all, I do believe that abortion is ending another life, but to me, living a low-quality life where your parents can't financially/emotionally take care of you because they were too young, or if you were the product of rape and know that you weren't wanted/will forever be associated with that memory for your mother, that to me is worse than abortion. At least in abortion, the fetus doesn't have the cognitive abilities to recognize what is happening to it. So I agree with the Church's principal message that abortion is wrong, and in an ideal world where there's no rape and people only have sex when they're ready for a baby, I would be pro-life. But since that's not the case, I would rather women have the choice to do it safely rather than bring another unwanted baby into the world.

If there's anything I learned in my 8+ years of catholic education, it's that you can't be a catholic if you don't believe in exactly what the catholic church believes in. You can't just pick and choose which beliefs you like and call yourself a catholic (which is why I don't call myself a catholic :P).

I see the rape argument being brought up a lot, for good reason. The problem I have with justifying abortion in this case is that the child is being killed for someone else's crime. Doesn't really seem fair, imo.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
So much for an attempt to convince us... his post is gone now...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rawrImChris rawrImChris
A is for Abortion?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@andrewk512 wrote
So much for an attempt to convince us... his post is gone now...

Good riddance. We can now have a sober discussion about abortion without his/her silly views to dilute an otherwise serious topic down.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
The topic should not have been posted here anyways.
What did the op say about abortion in the first place?
Was this helpful? Yes 0