yconic - About applying for admission...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

About applying for admission...

A photo of harmony harmony
I mean..really, I just wanna to go to 1 university..UofA..
Is't pretty crazy if I just apply to UofA but no other universities? I know I have a good chance of getting a 90%+ Ave..At least I think I can..
the faculty I'm gonna apply to only requires ur ave. to be 70%+ anywas..
So I wonder if this is an extremely dangerous action..

BTW, IF..UofA do not accpet me for the early accpetance, I can still apply for "late" admission to other university right?

PS: I still don't understand what's the point of early admission..I only know u can chose ur courses early..is that all? What if ur marks drops at the last second and u've already been accpeted for an early admission..Will they kick u out?

Thanks..This applying uni. and the uni.life is driving me crazy..>_<
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of saber33 saber33
Unless the Albertan university system is different, early admission is nothing more than peace of mind. It simply means that you have a guaranteed spot in the program if you achieve the requirements they have outlined.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@saber33 wrote
Unless the Albertan university system is different, early admission is nothing more than peace of mind. It simply means that you have a guaranteed spot in the program if you achieve the requirements they have outlined.

When u say the "achieve the requirements they have outlined" means when u completely finished Gr.12 right? Gr.11 marks means nothing to them by then, eventhough u need to use them for early admission.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Obviously obtain your high school diploma. However every offer is conditional. For example, I obtained early admission at Laurier for the BBA program. If I drop below 70% in my Advanced Functions class their offer is rescinded. So depending on the program, it may be an overall average you must have by the end of Grade 12, or specific course marks and an overall average.

Grade 11 marks are only looked at in order to support their decision to give you this conditional offer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@saber33 wrote
Obviously obtain your high school diploma. However every offer is conditional. For example, I obtained early admission at Laurier for the BBA program. If I drop below 70% in my Advanced Functions class their offer is rescinded. So depending on the program, it may be an overall average you must have by the end of Grade 12, or specific course marks and an overall average.

Grade 11 marks are only looked at in order to support their decision to give you this conditional offer.

I see. Thanks
So early admission and normal admission makes no difference. As long as ur marks are high and u apply before the admission dead line, the universities will rather kick out someone with an early admission with less marks than u and replace he/she with u right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes. However I am a bit confused by your wording so I will clarify once more. You will not lose your spot if your grades drop. You will lose your spot if your grades drop below the requirements set out in the offer.

Ex:

The offer states you must maintain an 85% average. You have a average of 95%. If you drop to 86% you will not lose that offer, even if a million people who did not receive an early offer now have a final average higher than you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@saber33 wrote
Yes. However I am a bit confused by your wording so I will clarify once more. You will not lose your spot if your grades drop. You will lose your spot if your grades drop below the requirements set out in the offer.

Ex:

The offer states you must maintain an 85% average. You have a average of 95%. If you drop to 86% you will not lose that offer, even if a million people who did not receive an early offer now have a final average higher than you.

Okay Gotcha!
Thank You Thank You..
So basically if I got accepted for an early admission into one of the universities (for ex, I applied to UofA and got accpeted), there's no point of applying for other ones if u want to attend UofA right?

BTW, how long does it usually take for the universities to give u an early admission?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
^ I guess so. Depends on the uni. I'd expect early admission for U of A to be January/February.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

There is a point. If you fail to meet their requirements, then you have no other options to fall back on. I don't mean to make seem like I assume you will fail to maintain a high academic standing, but it would a poor choice to assume anything.

As for early admission, it not only depends on the university but on the program as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@saber33 wrote
There is a point. If you fail to meet their requirements, then you have no other options to fall back on. I don't mean to make seem like I assume you will fail to maintain a high academic standing, but it would a poor choice to assume anything.

As for early admission, it not only depends on the university but on the program as well.

Hmm..Then it's a good idea for me to have at least another school to back me off..
I know the entrance mark is 70%~ for the general science program..So..I guess my chance of being objected is pretty low..

But thanks for the info! Great help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Yeah, you'll get accepted. That's almost a guarantee. U of A's admission standards are quite low compared to the (Ontario) schools you normally hear about on SA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of clairec21 clairec21
I think you'll get in, but you may as well apply to at least one other University just in case. There's no harm in doing that. Then you can keep your options open and give yourself peace of mind.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
Yeah, you'll get accepted. That's almost a guarantee. U of A's admission standards are quite low compared to the (Ontario) schools you normally hear about on SA.

*nod* their admission ave. r quite low, but those professional programs' ave. r still quite scary..
I guess they don't really care about high school. They care more about how u r doig in universities I suppose..

For the science program..UBC requires 85-90ish, UofA only requires 70%+ that's a huge difference..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@clairec21 wrote
I think you'll get in, but you may as well apply to at least one other University just in case. There's no harm in doing that. Then you can keep your options open and give yourself peace of mind.

Thanks for the advice. U do have a point. I keep that in mind!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
and you think you have it bad :scratch:
Was this helpful? Yes 0