yconic - About Cut-offs?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

About Cut-offs?

A photo of sdey22 sdey22
My question is about university programs that have a definite cut-off (without supplementary applications, e.g. McMaster Engineering). For example, if the cut-off is 83% this year, does that mean everyone who has applied (excluding those who have received an offer) and has above 83% as their top 6 average gets accepted? And everyone with a top 6 avg. below 83% get rejected?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of iRamie iRamie
I really hope its not like that...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sdey22 sdey22

@iRamie wrote

I hope the cut-off is below 83.5% :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@sdey22 wrote

@iRamie wrote

No its not that, its just that it would be stupid to have a cutoff.
For engineering especially.
If you have 200 spots would you want the 200 filled with nerds who study 24/7 and get 99s or whatever without any extravehicular lacking in spirit?
I think they should have "Individual Selections" like Waterloo does.

**meant to say extracirricular, stupid autocorrect -.-
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike

@iRamie wrote

@sdey22 wrote

@iRamie wrote

No its not that, its just that it would be stupid to have a cutoff.
For engineering especially.
If you have 200 spots would you want the 200 filled with nerds who study 24/7 and get 99s or whatever without any extravehicular lacking in spirit?
I think they should have "Individual Selections" like Waterloo does.

Yes, they should have it like UW, but Mac doesn't.

Heres a funny story. I was always very very very involved in extra-curriculars throughout high school (UW gave me early acceptance with an 83 avg...)and my dad always gave me a hard time about it because he thought it interfered with school. At the Mac fall open house we walked up to the admissions Q/A person and i asked her if they look at extra-curriculars hoping it would make my dad get off my back. This was the response: "Do we look at extra-curriculars? Hah, No. Not at all. They mean nothing". Needless to say, i had an egg on my face for the rest of the day...

Mac doesn't give two shits about extra-curriculars. They most certainly treat you as a number and WILL cut off people below the expected average because there are no other variables.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele

@chatmike wrote
Yes, they should have it like UW, but Mac doesn't.

Heres a funny story. I was always very very very involved in extra-curriculars throughout high school (UW gave me early acceptance with an 83 avg...)and my dad always gave me a hard time about it because he thought it interfered with school. At the Mac fall open house we walked up to the admissions Q/A person and i asked her if they look at extra-curriculars hoping it would make my dad get off my back. This was the response: "Do we look at extra-curriculars? Hah, No. Not at all. They mean nothing". Needless to say, i had an egg on my face for the rest of the day...

Mac doesn't give two craps about extra-curriculars. They most certainly treat you as a number and WILL cut off people below the expected average because there are no other variables.

WOW. That is depressing. At least schools like Queen's and U of T give you the illusion that your EC's mean something! :bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@steele wrote

WOW. That is depressing. At least schools like Queen's and U of T give you the illusion that your EC's mean something! :bball:

I know eh? When are these schools going to realize balanced students are more successful in the workplace than number crunching robots. (i'm not biased :compress: )
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Theresa96 Theresa96
Hello, chatmike
You said that Waterloo has accepted you at the average of 83
Can I know which program are you apply?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Theresa96 wrote
Hello, chatmike
You said that Waterloo has accepted you at the average of 83
Can I know which program are you apply?

Mechanical
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
I'm gonna say this depends on the program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0