yconic - about laurier side of DD regarding coop
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

about laurier side of DD regarding coop

A photo of ccc92 ccc92
so how is laurier's coop?
I heard 50% of laurier's coop are accounting, which I'm not interested in.
I want to work in ibanking or S&T, does laurier offer a lot of that kind of opportunities?
Do the major big 5 banks hire from laurier?
Would it be really hard to land on this kind of jobs? (especially in first coop term)

I know tons of UW based DDers who have been pretty successful, but not sure about the laurier based ones.
Any one have any ideas?

Do employers like math/BBA DD students at laurier more than BBA students? (some ppl said that, not sure if it's true)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Laurier's co-op is very good.

It is not 50% accounting. I think the breakdown is 30% accounting, 30% finance, 20% marketing, and the rest is other things (supply chain management, HR, etc.)

Laurier will not offer the same opportunities as Ivey or Queen's, but they have placed people in those kinds of positions. You just have to work hard and be top of the class. The ones that get those jobs have a GPA of 11.0+ and insane ECs, so know thta you will have to work very hard (not that you wouldn't at QIMS) and often it's the DD students that get the jobs.

Yes, they have been known to recruit from Laurier. They are said to have a good relationship with Laurier.

Yes it would be hard, but it will also be hard at other schools.

Hard, but not impossible. The DD students typically get good jobs from what I'm told. And there is little to no difference between the UW/WLU DDers.

Yes, sometimes they do. They recognize the workload and the time being put into the DD, not to mention the wide range of skills they have developed. And considering the smaller amount of DDers than BBA students, they do seem to get really good jobs.

I have also heard that the only advantage to DD is that you get guaranteed co-op, can do two things that interest you (math/bus or comp sci/bus) and that you can get co-op jobs in business or something math-related or comp sci-related. I have been told by some people that they went for the business jobs and they said it would be easier to just do BBA and get into co-op, save a lot of work.

I hope that helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ccc92 ccc92
It does help, a lot. Thx soo much for your input!

Are you a laurier student? Do you have any idea how many finance jobs from the major 5 banks are offered each term at laurier?
I just wanted to see what my chances of getting those kinds of jobs are.

Do you know any laurier DDers who are working or have worked in banking? I only know 2, one woking in accounting and one in marketing, which really makes me not so sure if laurier is ideal for my future career path(since I want banking or S&T)

at UW, DDers compete with tons of other math and cs students, who r all equally smart. sometimes even engineering students take those investment banking jobs offered. (seems a lot of great banks in the US love UW engineering students)
what about laurier? Do you only compete with BBA and econ students? Does it mean less competition?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@ccc92 wrote
It does help, a lot. Thx soo much for your input!

Are you a laurier student? Do you have any idea how many finance jobs from the major 5 banks are offered each term at laurier?
I just wanted to see what my chances of getting those kinds of jobs are.

o, I am not a Laurier student. I don't have exact numbers, sorry.

@ccc92 wrote

Do you know any laurier DDers who are working or have worked in banking? I only know 2, one woking in accounting and one in marketing, which really makes me not so sure if laurier is ideal for my future career path(since I want banking or S&T)

only know of one personally, but not really well.

The DD program offers some good opportunities. But Ivey and Queen's offer a lot of opportunities, often more in that area.

@ccc92 wrote

at UW, DDers compete with tons of other math and cs students, who r all equally smart. sometimes even engineering students take those investment banking jobs offered. (seems a lot of great banks in the US love UW engineering students)
what about laurier? Do you only compete with BBA and econ students? Does it mean less competition?

The Waterloo jobs are often more tech and the WLU jobs are more business

I don't think one would be easier than the other for the jobs you want. If you were going for accounting that would be different, but I don't think there will be too much difference for you.

I would be more concerned with choosing what co-op stream is better, and the school environment.

[/quote]
Was this helpful? Yes 0