yconic - About life in Schulich
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

About life in Schulich

A photo of qcsb2011 qcsb2011
Along with the questions I posted in another thread, I also have some questions for Schulich students or alumni.

1. Which residence do you think is the best? Why do you like it?
2. During the recruiter session in internships, what firms usually come and what fields are they in? What are the requirements for internships at Schulich?
3. What electives did you choose or is going to choose? Why? (Non-business electives)

Any information are welcome and I really hope someone can help me with this.
Please don't argue which business school is the best in this thread, THANK YOU!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

really looking forward to see some information here:bom:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
well for number one, it really depends if you wanna live dorm style room or in a suite style.
if regular dorm style, vanier is the worst, winter is okay, bethune is by far the best. for same price bethune's rooms are a lot lot bigger than vanier, its cleaner and better bathrooms too. winter is pretty decent, in between. but note that regular dorm styles have no kitchen and u have to buy their meal plan. camulet and pond are more of suite style where u only share kitchen and bathroom with a few people, but cost between 1k-1.5k more than normal dorm style and no meal plan required. and the suite style rooms are honestly just about as nice as bethune's dorm rooms...ponds better though...but thats how good bethune looked

for number 2, the people at gala said you're unlikely to get it first year, but second year and above is common. most are in accounting i think. and finally for 3, am choosing a humanities ("the bible in its modern context")...the students at gala said not to choose psychology even though its pretty popular coz apparently its really hard and has a huge workload.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jack555 wrote
well for number one, it really depends if you wanna live dorm style room or in a suite style.
if regular dorm style, vanier is the worst, winter is okay, bethune is by far the best. for same price bethune's rooms are a lot lot bigger than vanier, its cleaner and better bathrooms too. winter is pretty decent, in between. but note that regular dorm styles have no kitchen and u have to buy their meal plan. camulet and pond are more of suite style where u only share kitchen and bathroom with a few people, but cost between 1k-1.5k more than normal dorm style and no meal plan required. and the suite style rooms are honestly just about as nice as bethune's dorm rooms...ponds better though...but thats how good bethune looked

for number 2, the people at gala said you're unlikely to get it first year, but second year and above is common. most are in accounting i think. and finally for 3, am choosing a humanities ("the bible in its modern context")...the students at gala said not to choose psychology even though its pretty popular coz apparently its really hard and has a huge workload.

Thanks this is very helpful!

Did you visit their residence during the york university tour or how did you get to see the residence? and what do you have to do in order to get an internship?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

there was rez tours during spring gala. here is a link to their prices
http://www.yorku.ca/stuhouse/undergrad/rescontracts.htm

and regarding internships on the 2nd floor of the schulich building there was a career center the tour guide said you go there to get help doing it but thats all i know
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer

@qcsb2011 wrote
what do you have to do in order to get an internship?

It's the same as any other job. You send in your resume, if it's good they'll call you for an interview, if you do well you might get the job. A good GPA and good resume is pretty much all you "need" and of course good interviewing skills.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@IanSharer wrote

@qcsb2011 wrote
what do you have to do in order to get an internship?

It's the same as any other job. You send in your resume, if it's good they'll call you for an interview, if you do well you might get the job. A good GPA and good resume is pretty much all you "need" and of course good interviewing skills.

+ 1

And connections always help
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rush Rush
1. Pond is a very nice residence but is very anti-social. Calumet is social but far from Schulich. Those are the only two that give you your own kitchen. I don't have too much experience other than that, but if you don't mind the walk and don't mind living with five other people Calumet can be a lot of fun.

2. Schulich is mainly an Accounting target school. Marketing internships are available as well as Finance but are not as dominant as Accounting. Third year is the typical year for an internship and if you get one before that you have some combination of a. an excellent GPA b. previous relevant experience c. a contact (build your network, always). Don't fret if you don't have one until third year since that is the usual. Gain experience with relevant extra-curriculars until then.

3. Electives come down to taking something that interests you since you will want to want to study for them (if that makes sense), given your Schulich course requirements. If you're looking to specialize in Finance, take a math course (it is an asset). Otherwise it's up to you!

Cheers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer

@Rush wrote
1. Pond is a very nice residence but is very anti-social. Calumet is social but far from Schulich. Those are the only two that give you your own kitchen. I don't have too much experience other than that, but if you don't mind the walk and don't mind living with five other people Calumet can be a lot of fun.

2. Schulich is mainly an Accounting target school. Marketing internships are available as well as Finance but are not as dominant as Accounting. Third year is the typical year for an internship and if you get one before that you have some combination of a. an excellent GPA b. previous relevant experience c. a contact (build your network, always). Don't fret if you don't have one until third year since that is the usual. Gain experience with relevant extra-curriculars until then.

3. Electives come down to taking something that interests you since you will want to want to study for them (if that makes sense), given your Schulich course requirements. If you're looking to specialize in Finance, take a math course (it is an asset). Otherwise it's up to you!

Cheers.

Seeing as you specialized in finance, did you face any difficulties in terms of recruitment?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK

@Rush wrote

Cheers.

Is it hard to find an internship position at a CATO?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@AZK wrote

@Rush wrote

Cheers.

Is it hard to find an internship position at a CATO?

Yes it is fairly difficult at any school (co-op included). Waterloo gets the most number of CATO jobs from what I've heard. (although the number of CATOs keeps rising)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks everyone!!!

@Rush wrote

Cheers.

Hi Rush, why would you say that Pond is a very anti-social rez?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jack555 wrote
there was rez tours during spring gala. here is a link to their prices
http://www.yorku.ca/stuhouse/undergrad/rescontracts.htm

and regarding internships on the 2nd floor of the schulich building there was a career center the tour guide said you go there to get help doing it but thats all i know

Hey Jack, according to the website you sent me, there is a "Bethune
4 person suite" with an optional meal plan, does that mean there is a kitchen in the suite?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yes there is, it means 4 ppl share a kitchen and a bathroom. bethunes the only one that has dorm and suite in same building

the room size is the same as the dorm room size without suite (which is still pretty big), but u get the kitchen and much less people use the bathroom.

be aware though..the kitchen is not like the kitchen in your house, it is very small, its like the size of a walk in closet, you have the stove, fridge, microwave, and u can fit maybe 2 people in there. i guess u bring food back to ur room to eat? this is just for bethune though, as the building has both suite and dorms its kind of weird like that. i think camulet and pond are suite only buildings and the kitchens are much bigger.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jack555 wrote
yes there is, it means 4 ppl share a kitchen and a bathroom. bethunes the only one that has dorm and suite in same building

the room size is the same as the dorm room size without suite (which is still pretty big), but u get the kitchen and much less people use the bathroom.

be aware though..the kitchen is not like the kitchen in your house, it is very small, its like the size of a walk in closet, you have the stove, fridge, microwave, and u can fit maybe 2 people in there. i guess u bring food back to ur room to eat? this is just for bethune though, as the building has both suite and dorms its kind of weird like that. i think camulet and pond are suite only buildings and the kitchens are much bigger.

ummm I've checked out every residence and I'd say I like camulet the best since bethune still looks similar to regular residence and pond is too "private"... so jack are you going to Schulich in september? going to live in the rez?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

what does commute mean? saw it several times and couldn't find an exact definition (i know it's a stupid question /.\
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yep accepted my offer, bethune normal dorm was 1st choice winters was 2nd
commute just means to travel, so to bus/drive to school is to commute to school
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lmao lmao
^ C'mon man didn't wait for Queen's?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

lol lmao
going on the accounting route didnt see why to wait for queens, their tuition and rez costs like double and the 4 year program doesnt even provide the 51 credits you need for CA (you get like 34) and i hear schulichs recruitment in accounting is good
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jack555 wrote
yep accepted my offer, bethune normal dorm was 1st choice winters was 2nd
commute just means to travel, so to bus/drive to school is to commute to school

Congratz to you :)
why don't you choose the suite style rez?heard the meal at school aren't that good....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Anyone knows what's the size for a camulet single room? and double?
Was this helpful? Yes 0