yconic - about the admission of psychology (Ontario university)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

about the admission of psychology (Ontario university)

A photo of Josephine410 Josephine410
hi everyone, I am in Grade 12 this fall.I want to major in psychology to become a child psychologist. Here is my questions, what courses should I take in my grade 12 year if I'm going to take psychology? I visited so many university's website(U OF T, Queen's, York..) and all there admission of psychology are require a Grade12U/M Math, but I am suck in Math. I don't even think I can go to Grade 12 Math. What can I do, choose another program? Or it's there any other way for me to take psychology in university?
Also, I hear there are two kind of psychology in university: Art and Science. What is the different? If I choose art psychology, I still need Grade 12U/M Math??
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725

@Josephine410 wrote
hi everyone, I am in Grade 12 this fall.I want to major in psychology to become a child psychologist. Here is my questions, what courses should I take in my grade 12 year if I'm going to take psychology? I visited so many university's website(U OF T, Queen's, York..) and all there admission of psychology are require a Grade12U/M Math, but I am suck in Math. I don't even think I can go to Grade 12 Math. What can I do, choose another program? Or it's there any other way for me to take psychology in university?
Also, I hear there are two kind of psychology in university: Art and Science. What is the different? If I choose art psychology, I still need Grade 12U/M Math??

I'm also interested in going into psychology, but as an arts program. I'm pretty much certain that I want to go to Queen's, and I know that for admission to Queen's Arts, the only requirement is ENG 4U. If you are applying to Queen's Science (which you would be for psychology as a science), then I think you need ENG 4U, Math, and two science courses.

The thing is, though, that even for a BA in psych, a statistics course is either required or recommended, so if you want to keep your options open it would be a good idea to take a first year math course so that you can take stats in 2nd year.

Also, be careful with UofT, they only offer a BSc in psych, not a BA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I'm pretty sure you need to do a Master's anyways to do any counselling or therapy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
I'm pretty sure you need to do a Master's anyways to do any counselling or therapy.

From what I've heard this is true.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Josephine410 Josephine410
It's that possible for me to major psychology and minor English or French?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah it should be. Check with the schools that you're interested in though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0