yconic - Abroad?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Abroad?

A photo of Mikayla2011 Mikayla2011
Hi, I'm thinking of travelling abroad for my studies and I'm a little nervous about leaving my friends and family behind.. Is anyone in the same boat? And if you are, how do you plan on dealing with being alone in a foreign country?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Making friends there helps a lot, as does figuring out how things work around there. Once it feels like home, then it isn't so bad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Mikayla2011 Mikayla2011

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
Making friends there helps a lot, as does figuring out how things work around there. Once it feels like home, then it isn't so bad.

Are you living away from home now? Or will you be? And how far away? Because I am planning on moving to England for the rest of my studies, and I'm worried about the completely different cultures they will have. And because of the time difference I won't really be able to chat with my family often, so I won't have their support whenever I need it. Do you have any other suggestions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I go to school in Alberta, but I'm from Ontario... so about 3000 km from home. Not quite as far as England, but, for this discussion, it doesn't matter: neither of us is/will be able to go home except for Christmas.

I was a little bit nervous, but mostly excited about moving far from home. I love being at home, but I was in need of a bit of a change. Even though the Ontario-Alberta cultural difference is pretty insignificant, I still find it a bit interesting to point out the differences. I don't really think England will be that big of a change either. It'll probably be pretty tough for the first few days, even weeks, but that's just because the changes, particularly not being able to see your family and friends, are significant at that time. When you get used to the new environment and make new friends, you'll get used to it. I don't really know what else to say.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ffcelik ffcelik

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
I go to school in Alberta, but I'm from Ontario... so about 3000 km from home. Not quite as far as England, but, for this discussion, it doesn't matter: neither of us is/will be able to go home except for Christmas.

I was a little bit nervous, but mostly excited about moving far from home. I love being at home, but I was in need of a bit of a change. Even though the Ontario-Alberta cultural difference is pretty insignificant, I still find it a bit interesting to point out the differences. I don't really think England will be that big of a change either. It'll probably be pretty tough for the first few days, even weeks, but that's just because the changes, particularly not being able to see your family and friends, are significant at that time. When you get used to the new environment and make new friends, you'll get used to it. I don't really know what else to say.

+1. I think you put it perfectly :)

I could say the same. I'm in Ontario but my family is out of the country. I actually did come to visit for the holidays but that's not the point.

It is hard to get used to at first. I missed my friends & family so much last year, but now I'm actually looking forward to returning back from the holidays. Just try to be positive about it all and look at enjoying your time. Make friends for sure. The you'll be fine. :cheers:

Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ffcelik ffcelik

@Mikayla2011 wrote
Are you living away from home now? Or will you be? And how far away? Because I am planning on moving to England for the rest of my studies, and I'm worried about the completely different cultures they will have. And because of the time difference I won't really be able to chat with my family often, so I won't have their support whenever I need it. Do you have any other suggestions?

I have to admit, I personally faced cultural shock. At first it was VERY hard to get used to - that's a reality. But now I'm used to everything and I love it in Ontario. Oh, and my family&friends are 8 hours ahead, but we still talk at least once a week. And there's always msn and facebook for those who use it :) People are always on those, trust me on that one hehehe :D

Just be accepting of all the changes, I think that will help. What will seem to you as so awkward and shocking will be normal for them. Same thing vice versa. I think that was a mistake I made last year, where I found myself not being able to get along with several people because of the differences. We're OK and good friends now though. So keep that in mind and you'll pretty much do well in your social life :P

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of prmly prmly
I have been accepted to a few business schools in Scandinavia for my undergrad and I might go. I'm just waiting on UBC and McGill right now.

You shouldn't be scared. Travelling abroad by yourself is a good time, believe me. You meet wonderful new people from around the world and learn to be more independent.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@prmly wrote
I have been accepted to a few business schools in Scandinavia for my undergrad and I might go.

I'm from Scandinavia (Copenhagen, Denmark). I see you've been accepted to CBS (Copenhagen Business School), go there! Honestly dunno a lot about school quality but Copenhagen is amazing! :cheers:

I applied to UofT, so I'm most likely going abroad too. What I do is just that I don't think too much about it. Just hope they'll accept me and then take it from there. Sure I'll miss my friends but I hope and believe that what I experience while studying abroad will be worth it.

The feeling of anxiety mixed with massive excitement is priceless :bounce: :bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Oprime Oprime
I'm from Canada, and I'm currently studying in France right now, so I understand how you feel. I understand that you might be concerned about leaving your family and friends behind, but it is a great experience to live in other countries. It really changes your perspectives. Although it was really hard at first, I felt rather homesick for the first month, I feel completely adjusted to the French culture and I'm learning a lot more than just French.
If you do decide to go abroad, what really helped me to adjust and enjoy the new culture was deactivating Facebook. While you don't want to completely ignore your friends and family, you should try your best to embrace the new culture. If you feel homesick, you should write letters and send them once a week or every other week.
And also, try to try everything! Be open minded, you'll learn a whole lot more. Take opportunities and try to go out as much as possible.
Good luck, I hope you end up making the choice that's right for you. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jllama jllama

@Mikayla2011 wrote
Hi, I'm thinking of travelling abroad for my studies and I'm a little nervous about leaving my friends and family behind.. Is anyone in the same boat? And if you are, how do you plan on dealing with being alone in a foreign country?

I'm planning on spending the fall semester of next year (grade 12) in the UK. The thing that's helping me the most with contemplating leaving my family and friends is just thinking about how rewarding the independance will be and how much confidence I'll gain from the experience.

Just out of curiosity, are you finishing high school or university in England? Have you told your friends about your plans? I have no idea how to just walk up to them and be like "So I'm leaving for 6 months I hope we'll all be friends when I get back...". I'm a little apprehensive about that part.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gigzak gigzak
i wanna go to the uni of oslo, the best thinking to do is first research know about the place your going to that would let you know if it's suitable. Ask people friends and family to support you and trust me if they do it will be the best experience ever. Being on your own will also make you a understand own life, it will only be hard max for the first two months, after that it will be breeze and you won't be alone for long.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leahquin leahquin
I'd love to go abroad, but I think I'll wait until grad school where the costs will be lower. I'm going to apply for British citizenship, which will be easy as my dad is a landed immigrant, and maybe I can live there eventually, but I will definitely keep Canadian citizenship.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly

@leahquin wrote
I'd love to go abroad, but I think I'll wait until grad school where the costs will be lower. I'm going to apply for British citizenship, which will be easy as my dad is a landed immigrant, and maybe I can live there eventually, but I will definitely keep Canadian citizenship.

They recently tripled tuition in England. I think it's 9,000£ now which equals around 18k.

Good luck.

Also, the UK is the only region in Europe which requires you to live in Europe before you get their resident tuition fees. I have EU citizenship and was planning on applying to some British schools when I found out that my citizenship means absolutely nothing if I haven't lived there for a few years or something. I'd still have to pay international tuition. Get your British citizenship, though. You can go to grad school someplace else and being able to live/work in Europe legally will do wonders when we graduate.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MicheleRoberts MicheleRoberts
After school Im leaving my home town for the first time! =) so excited to go to school and hopfully travel the world 1 day =D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sarahwold sarahwold
i was wondering since i want to go to korea for to study abroad, like what would my chances be since iam just an 80% ish of a student adn i a mblack meaning i dont know that languge bsides basics. (pardon my writing but its midnight so i am kind of tired lol)
Was this helpful? Yes 0