yconic - Academic challenges of university
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Academic challenges of university

A photo of caladluin caladluin
Hey everyone!

I'm an incoming first year student, and I wanted to know what are the greatest academic-related challenges people face in university? And how did you handle them?

I'm trying to figure this out before I actually start, since I think this will make my studies quite abit easier...

Thanks! and have a great summer!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
In 1st year, my biggest challenge was not skipping class (especially 8:30am/Friday ones). Unless it's a small lecture/attendance is taken, it's hard to motivate yourself to go to class when no one will know/care if you didn't go and you're feeling lazy/the weather sucks.

Learned my lesson after I underachieved in 1st year and I don't skip anymore.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
Skipping class is a good one, thankfully I didn't fall into that trap.

The hardest thing for me was simply keeping up with all of my reading. Since I had so much free time, I was always going out and organizing things with friends and left reading and pre-reading as a last priority. And once you fall behind, its very difficult to catch up. It made for a fun exam period, lets put it that way.

The best thing you can do to overcome this is probably to make a schedule and outline all the things you want to go over in a week, leaving some time for "fun" of course.

Leaving essays to the last minute was a bit of a problem for me too, but thats self-explanitory. (I'm in business and got like 2 essays this year).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I skipped my fair share of classes during my undergrad degree and it did not affect me one bit. I always ensured I was caught up on the notes and did assignments. Attending class isn't always the best option, although often it is.

My biggest challenge was juggling my varsity rugby schedule with engineering. That meant doing an assignment when I had time, not depending on when it was due, because who knew when I would have free time again. Being so busy made me so efficient.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of scoobygiggles scoobygiggles
Things I found useful to do:
- if you work, make sure your manager knows your school schedule and limit your shifts to a manageable about. Enforce it! Sometimes they forget what you've agreed to.
- buy an agenda. There's something about having all your homework down in writing that helps put the perspective on what needs to get done.
- don't wait until the last minute to start something, particularly anything that involves big research essays. Without fail, that's when your printer will decide not to work or your computer crashes.
- save your files constantly, and on more than one hard drive!
- ask your professors or classmates for clarification.
- leave room for downtime... you will go crazy if there isn't time to just relax.
- don't skip. Professors don't just put textbook questions in exams... they sneak in tidbits of information during class that you need to be there to pick up on.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
yeah I ended up skipping the majority of morning classes in second term of first year... not a morning person at all. I try for afternoon-only now. also procrastination can be a problem for the less-motivated among us...

whoa ktel I JUST realized who you are from the old forum. facepalm!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@kraken wrote
whoa ktel I JUST realized who you are from the old forum. facepalm!

Hahaha excellent. It's hard to tell with the anonymity of the internet...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
Then again I was mostly-absent from the forum for several months... but still. lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0