yconic - Acceptances into McGill Arts?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Acceptances into McGill Arts?

A photo of Sarahmac Sarahmac
So, last semester by average was 88.5%, and this semester I'm predicting around the same, maybe an 87%. I'm getting realllly nervous about being accepted to McGill, since I know I'm around the cut-off. I've heard a few people online say contradicting things - some have said that they have friends who have been accepted with 82%, and others who say you'll need a definite 90%. I'm an Ontario student, which I've also heard affects my chances of being accepted since Ontario kids are last-round. Anyone know from experience what I should believe? I'm mad stressin (especially since both my parents and all my uncles and aunts went to McGill, and both my grandfathers were profs there back in the day)!
Thank you :)!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of Palisades Palisades
88.5% is a LITTLE close to the cut-off, but I think you'll likely receive an offer in May (I have a feeling they'll send out a bunch April 14/15 though, b/c that's the last day for "early" Ontario offers of admission). So far I haven't heard of anyone from Ontario getting in with lower than 90%, but they can't accept everyone in the first round. I checked the cut off for the past few years, and for arts they seem to fluctuate from 86 to 87.5. I totally get how you feel though, I was super nervous about McGill despite being a good 5-6% above the cut off. I think if you get your average up even 1% you should be pretty safe, but when your average is already so high it's hard enough maintaining it, let alone improving upon it.
Good luck! Hope you hear good news soon!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Okay, thanks a ton for the info - keepin' it real(istic).
Just got to make it through another month of suspense...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Keep working hard! Those midterms are out soon! :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Palisades wrote
88.5% is a LITTLE close to the cut-off, but I think you'll likely receive an offer in May (I have a feeling they'll send out a bunch April 14/15 though, b/c that's the last day for "early" Ontario offers of admission). So far I haven't heard of anyone from Ontario getting in with lower than 90%, but they can't accept everyone in the first round. I checked the cut off for the past few years, and for arts they seem to fluctuate from 86 to 87.5. I totally get how you feel though, I was super nervous about McGill despite being a good 5-6% above the cut off. I think if you get your average up even 1% you should be pretty safe, but when your average is already so high it's hard enough maintaining it, let alone improving upon it.

I hope this cheers you up or something haha...
Anyways, I was accepted with an 87.75% average on April 1. Thought it was an April Fool's joke at first... ._.
I do have Quebec residency status so maybe that's what helped me... but still, it's good to hope? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Palisades Palisades
haha well there you go! Congrats! ^^
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sean1218 Sean1218

@Daruki35 wrote

@Palisades wrote

I hope this cheers you up or something haha...
Anyways, I was accepted with an 87.75% average on April 1. Thought it was an April Fool's joke at first... ._.
I do have Quebec residency status so maybe that's what helped me... but still, it's good to hope? :)

Same situation, about the same average. Accepted on April 1st to Faculty of Science, and I thought it was an April fool's joke at first. Was just surprised to be accepted so early with an average so borderline.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well good news - I found out I got a 95% in one of my courses where I had only predicted a 90%, so that should boost my overall!
Was this helpful? Yes 0