yconic - Acceptances
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Acceptances

A photo of AlphaDog169 AlphaDog169
I applied to 2 business programs, Mac Business 1 and laurier BBA.I have an 82 avg with a 91% in Ap calculus. Just wrote my ap exam. What are my chances of getting into either?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
37 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of g93 g93
You should be good for Mac, but unfortunately BBA has a cutoff of 88 this year. You are highly likely to receive an offer to Honours Economics however, which is still an excelelnt program (as long as you like Economics)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
wow lauriers cutoff is 88??? thats higher than queens
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote
You should be good for Mac, but unfortunately BBA has a cutoff of 88 this year. You are highly likely to receive an offer to Honours Economics however, which is still an excelelnt program (as long as you like Economics)

I see, i am just scoping things out. Planning on getting my MBA, but apparently i don't even need a business background to get one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of g93 g93

@Jack555 wrote

Yep, went up 1% after midterms. I'm assuming they are going to have to do something similar to QIMSR and have the ABS mandatory for all people. If it starts getting up to 90 that's just ridiculous.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@AlphaDog169 wrote

@g93 wrote

I see, i am just scoping things out. Planning on getting my MBA, but apparently i don't even need a business background to get one.

MBAs are designed for people with zero business knowledge (eg common for engineers).

An MBA can be somewhat uselss for people with business undergrads, as you are essentially doing the same stuff over again. An MBA can be used to move up in a company, but sometimes it's unnecessary. A lot of people who go for their MBAs at the top schools (read: American) go not to learn anything, but to network with all the rich people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

quick question, i hear ppl get accepted to honours econ, and can transfer into BBA 2nd year with like a B+, is that common, and will co-op be as likely.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of g93 g93

@AlphaDog169 wrote
quick question, i hear ppl get accepted to honours econ, and can transfer into BBA 2nd year with like a B+, is that common, and will co-op be as likely.

Yes, there are enough that transfer, it is a fairly seamless transition (there are BBA students who drop to Honours Ec as well). I don't know about co-op.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
On a completley unrelated note mcgill commerce brought their cutoff up to 93 lolrofl who they think they are
Was this helpful? Yes 0

kind of regret not looking more into busniess, BBA at laurier seems legit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Sanguine wrote

@g93 wrote

@Jack555 wrote

Yep, went up 1% after midterms. I'm assuming they are going to have to do something similar to QIMSR and have the ABS mandatory for all people. If it starts getting up to 90 that's just ridiculous.

I respect Laurier, but I do not think they are quite in the league of the other schools in terms of business education. I like the BBA/BA, BBA/BMath (to which I applied and was accepted), BBA/BCS, but being as selective as this for a pure BBA is something.

Their big thing is co-op. It's really the only reason why people choose it over QIMS, although it is one of the better for accounting as well.

If it keeps going up and they keep attracting top students, they may as well introduce the ABS as a mandatory thing that gets read for everybody. Eventually they could get closer to QIMS as they build their alumni network and international rep (I'm talking quite a few years, although at the current rate they may need to make the ABS mandatory within 5 years).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of g93 g93

@Sanguine wrote
They should hire you as a planner.

I'd be down with that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Sanguine wrote
My personal belief is that co-operative education does not provide people with the skills required for certain things which they might wish to pursue, but it pays tuition nicely.

Co-op programs are essentially the same as non co-op programs, except for co-op programs you work in an industry-relevant position, gain practical on-the-job knowledge, and get industry contacts/build your network instead of getting the summers off and possibly fighting with a ton of other people that want the same position as you, and eventually settling for your more familiar post at McDonald's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@g93 wrote

@Sanguine wrote

@g93 wrote

@Jack555 wrote

I respect Laurier, but I do not think they are quite in the league of the other schools in terms of business education. I like the BBA/BA, BBA/BMath (to which I applied and was accepted), BBA/BCS, but being as selective as this for a pure BBA is something.

Their big thing is co-op. It's really the only reason why people choose it over QIMS, although it is one of the better for accounting as well.

If it keeps going up and they keep attracting top students, they may as well introduce the ABS as a mandatory thing that gets read for everybody. Eventually they could get closer to QIMS as they build their alumni network and international rep (I'm talking quite a few years, although at the current rate they may need to make the ABS mandatory within 5 years).

+ 1

Laurier seems to be on the rise consistently (when I first started looking into a couple years ago, 86 was the cutoff, now 88). In my opinion it's close to/as good as/nearing Rotman (Laurier Coop is). Making the ABS mandatory in a few years wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
^ imo laurier > rotman, not by much but a little

(both are better than the sing)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@thecookiemonster wrote

Same here, but I was afraid if I wrote that people would tear into it :p
What's "the sing"?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

@thecookiemonster wrote

Same here, but I was afraid if I wrote that people would tear into it :p
What's "the sing"?

NipisSING :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BBA14 BBA14

Ok. First of all, you're not even attending university yet judging by your sig, so you probably don't know how business programs actually compare to each other. Laurier BBA is a top Canadian business program and the BBA/BA you mentioned has a cutoff only 1% higher than the BBA (and is the SAME program, but with all math electives and an extra year). I'm not even going to bring up the other mistatement you made about co-op. I'm just saying that you should not talk about programs you have no idea about.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@Sanguine wrote

@BBA14 wrote

Ok. First of all, you're not even attending university yet judging by your sig, so you probably don't know how business programs actually compare to each other. Laurier BBA is a top Canadian business program and the BBA/BA you mentioned has a cutoff only 1% higher than the BBA (and is the SAME program, but with all math electives and an extra year). I'm not even going to bring up the other mistatement you made about co-op. I'm just saying that you should not talk about programs you have no idea about.

I have no experience - I just act on statistics.

You can bring up my statement regarding co-operative education. I try to learn from mistakes.

The statistics actually show Laurier being pretty good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0