yconic - Accepted - pending final results?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Accepted - pending final results?

A photo of asian123 asian123
I got acepted to McGill Commerce.

Its saying, accepted pending final results on my status.

How much can my final score drop by to still get admittance?
also, are my march mock exams (practice exams that prepare me for the finals, and will go on my final report), important?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
24 replies

A photo of jzliu jzliu

@asian123 wrote

also, are my march mock exams (practice exams that prepare me for the finals, and will go on my final report), important?

most unis send u a physical offer of admission that says what average you must maintain by the end of the year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Wait for your letter in the mail.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Leesh1993 Leesh1993
same. I got accpeted at McGill life science. McGill is weird in a way it doesnt say what average we have to keep in mail. I was reading last year's thread and found out that we can apparently drop quite a lot (somebody dropped 15%).

http://forums.studentawards.com/yaf_postst9202_McGill-Offer-remains-valid-provided-you-maintain-your-current-level-of-academic-achievement.aspx

hope that helps :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fullforceRC fullforceRC

@asian123 wrote

May I ask what your average is?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

im doing the International Baccalaureatte diploma and my predicted score is 36/42 subject points.

according to a couple canadian unis, that is equivalent to 95%. Last years cutoff for commerce was 35 points btw.
and each point is equivalent to around 4%.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imsyed imsyed
Congratulations.

I told you not to worry. :)
I got in too.. with 2 As and 2 As on the expecteds.

So is it your first choice ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555

@asian123 wrote
im doing the International Baccalaureatte diploma and my predicted score is 36/42 subject points.

according to a couple canadian unis, that is equivalent to 95%. Last years cutoff for commerce was 35 points btw.

not quite getting this

so if you get 42/42, that is 168% ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

no.

im not sure about the system, but all i can say is, i applied to Ivey and BMOS.
Western replied and accepeted me, saying that i have 3 scholarships.
The first one was for having an average above 85%, the second one was for between 90-94%, and the third one was for having an avg. whihc is 95% or above.

ill post the entracnc requirments for a couple of unis:
1) queens - 87% - 34 points
2) mcgill - 91% - 35 points
3) uoft - not sure but around 32 points
4) Ivey - 90% - 36-7 points
5) Laurier - 33 points

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK
lol i regret not taking IB XD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imsyed imsyed
Haha I got that mail too.. It doesnt say that you have got the scholarship.

It just mentions the brackets. Here you go an extract.

"Congratulations on your offer of admission to The University of Western Ontario! Western recognizes and rewards the outstanding academic achievements of our incoming high school students with a generous scholarship program as outlined below.

Name Value Final Admission Average Required

The Continuing Admission Scholarship
$10,000
($2,500 annually)
95.0% and above - all programs
except Music*

The Western Scholarship of Excellence $2,000 90.0% to 94.9%
The Western Scholarship of Distinction $1,000 87.0% to 89.9%"

And then it also says..

"These scholarships do not require an application. Your final average as calculated by the Admissions Office, including any prerequisite courses for your selected program, will be used to determine your eligibility for a scholarship. You must register for first-year full-time studies at Western's main campus in order to be considered for an admission scholarship. Official notification will be mailed out to eligible students receiving an admission scholarship at the end of August."

Better wait on buddy! ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^^ exactly that one.

i finally got the mail from mcgill! it says i need to maintain my current standards and get the IB diploma.

im just hoping for a rejection now from Schulich (since its my parents first choice and i reaaaly dont wanna go there)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
hoping for a rejection from schulich...lol..can't say the same :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imsyed imsyed

@asian123 wrote
^^ exactly that one.

i finally got the mail from mcgill! it says i need to maintain my current standards and get the IB diploma.

im just hoping for a rejection now from Schulich (since its my parents first choice and i reaaaly dont wanna go there)

Mail as in Email? or Post mail ??

I think i am not applying to Schulich anymore.
So I dont care!! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1

@imsyed wrote

@asian123 wrote
^^ exactly that one.

You mean Rotman lol? :bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@asian123 wrote

For Ontario IB Schools percentage conversions are as follows:
Note that your teacher/school could theoretically give you any grade in the appropriate range

1: <50%
2: 50%-59%
3: 60-69%
4: 70-79%
5: 80-89%
6: 90-95%
7: 96%+

So really your 36 points could be anywhere from a 90 to a 95 average (averaging each subject as a 6)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imsyed imsyed

@smarty1 wrote

@imsyed wrote

@asian123 wrote
^^ exactly that one.

You mean Rotman lol? :bball:

Nope.

Schulich too.. Lemme change my sig . for you :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

bump
does anyone else know
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of deca4life deca4life
@North, you are absolutely right. 36 IB points translates into about 90-95%. However, that's for universities which assess bonus points, where the total would be out of 45. For McGill, they don't take bonus points into consideration, so it's actually out of 42 points. Therefore its probably around 95/96 ish.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

bump
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@deca4life wrote
@North, you are absolutely right. 36 IB points translates into about 90-95%. However, that's for universities which assess bonus points, where the total would be out of 45. For McGill, they don't take bonus points into consideration, so it's actually out of 42 points. Therefore its probably around 95/96 ish.

I did not include bonus points. I used the conversion that is standard for all IB schools in Ontario in converting each subject. If there are 36 subject points that is about 6 per subject which in Ontario is converted to 90-95%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LampShade LampShade
@Asian123, I got a question for you.

Why are you worrying so much?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Serendipity Serendipity
I'm 40+ predicted score (including bonus).

The average at our school for Math SL is 6.83 last year ;) WH HL was 6.57. The averages (with standardization) is only around 82-83%.

Take it at face value :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo

@Jack555 wrote

@asian123 wrote

not quite getting this

so if you get 42/42, that is 168% ?

No there is a conversion band...

The IB Diploma consists of 6 courses, each out of 7.

Full marks is 6x7 = 42.

7 = 96-100%
6 = 90-95%
5 = 80-89%

etc.

So therefore, a cutoff of 35 makes sense. Cuz that's like getting 5 6's and then 1 5. Making that around 91.5%.

Make sense?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey guys these are my marks:
Adv. Func. - 92 (final)
Bio - 87 (final)
Physics - 88 (final)
Calculus/Vectors - 98 (midterm)
English - 91 (midterm)
Accounting - 92 (midterm)

This comes out to a top 6 average of 91.3. Are these marks good enough to make me a competitive applicant for McGill Commerce?
Was this helpful? Yes 0