yconic - Accepted to U of T res? Me neither?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Accepted to U of T res? Me neither?

A photo of smandair smandair
Good evening (or morning or afternoon, whatever time of day it is on your end)

I got excepted to U of T for Engineering but I heard anything from residences. All my friends have gotten in somewhere. Is it because Engineering kids are wacky and get to wait longer ? Or is this just the way it is and I should suck it up and be patient?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
26 replies

A photo of paulliwali paulliwali
Hello, I got into UofT and on my letter it says I got into whatever my choice was, and their package will be sent later in may..so I dunno
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

@lashes wrote

Congrats on your exception to U of T and hearing anything from residences. So is this a general anything that covers everything? Or a specific anything that covers something in particular, perhaps any one thing?

whhaaaat?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Do you mean residence or a college?
Cuz that's two different things.
Does engineering count as a Science.. or is it an Applied Science specifically.
Cuz colleges are only for those who have been accepted into the Faculty of Arts & Sciences..
Unless engineering is considered under "science"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@lashes wrote
sigh.. and I wasn't even close to being subtle this time.

/humorfail

lol sorry man didn't get it at all.

and I think he means residence, engineering don't get colleges...at least I didn't =S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

The TS/OP got excepted, not accepted! GET IT RIGHT, n00b! Durrr! :albino:

Oh and engineering is different from Arts&Sci. We fill out a res form and then get placed in a dorm at one of the 7 colleges + Cnut.

lol didn't catch that while reading the post.
clever man is clever.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fruitpunch9 fruitpunch9

@paulliwali wrote
Hello, I got into UofT and on my letter it says I got into whatever my choice was, and their package will be sent later in may..so I dunno

Which college did you apply for paulliwali?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

um..Innis, how bout you?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@paulliwali wrote
um..Innis, how bout you?

Congrats =) my engineering offer didn't mention a thing
about my residence...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Guys! I figured it out!

Well really, I went on a tour of the campus today and they told me how it was, so here's the deal:

There are a bunch of colleges and they were built for Art&Sci kids back in the day because there were so many of them so they had to divide them into manageable chunks. So each college has residences and their li'l community. So now, colleges are open to most students - not Engineers.

Engineering is such a small group so we're already manageable. The faculty acts as our college, but we can still live in the "real" colleges' residences.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Smandair has got it mostly right.

Engineering students are in a separate faculty, and thus don't get the option
of colleges like Arts and Science students. Usually, engineering students have
to find their own places to live because the university doesn't provide them
any. You didn't get a residence because of this reason.

The only time you will get a residence is if there is room in another residence,
but the number of engineering students who get a room is very small. I would
keep your hopes up, but look for your own place so you don't get screwed when
you have to start school and have no place to live.

Good luck! About 50% of 1st year engineering students at UofT drop out because it's
so hard!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The only time you will get a residence is if there is room in another residence,

Good luck! About 50% of 1st year engineering students at UofT drop out because it's
so hard!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lingui wrote

so hard!

LIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dislike^100000000
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@fruitpunch9 wrote

@lingui wrote

so hard!

Agreed, but do you want to elaborate?

I've been doing some research and ALL first years, no matter what faculty are guaranteed residence. And that drop out rate isn't just for U of T. It's the same at all schools because people switch programmes. The people who drop out altogether are the ones who don't stay on top of their work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@smandair wrote

@fruitpunch9 wrote

@lingui wrote

so hard!

Agreed, but do you want to elaborate?

I've been doing some research and ALL first years, no matter what faculty are guaranteed residence. And that drop out rate isn't just for U of T. It's the same at all schools because people switch programmes. The people who drop out altogether are the ones who don't stay on top of their work.

Elaborate on which part?

Not true at UofT. Engineering is part of a different faculty, and thus do not get the same options as Arts and Science students. I'm a second year there! Colleges are reserved only for Arts&Sci students, and the residences belong to each of the 7 colleges. If there is space available, engineering students can be lucky enough to get it, but not everyone does. I know many who had to get apartments because there was no space to accommodate them; the colleges focus first on their students.

There is 89 Chestnut where other students can go to, as well, but still, engineering students are not guaranteed a place in those residences.

It may be similar at all schools, but UofT's engineering program is much more rigorous. And it's not about them being lazy and partying more than working. Those numbers do include those people, but it's because it's a lot of work and very stressful that not many people can take that amount of work. They do switch to other, easier programs in arts and science, usually. But because their program is incredibly difficult, engineering students know how to party hard and when to do so.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

it's 89 chestnut
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele
I just got a residence offer for 89 Chestnut sent to my email today.

Wasn't my first choice, but engineering students can't be choosers! :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of hobbes hobbes
This might sound stupid, but do I have to accept the offer of admission before I apply for residency...? Or could I apply for residency and then see what happens? I received the email of residency offer from Vic but I'm confusssedddd
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@fruitpunch9 wrote
it's 89 chestnut

Oops, thanks for pointing out my mistake of a digit! 89 Chestnut.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jumpy Jumpy
To clarify (as someone who has straight up read the policies on these sorts of thing), engineers can and do live in college residences. Colleges are allowed to proclaim their own quota for "Pro-Facs" (Professional Faculties -- music, engineering, law, etc). They then fill their residences with some pro-fac students. Some colleges (like Trin) have a 0-1% quota, others have quotas approaching 10%.

Chestnut Residence is not affiliated with any college. It is open to all students, including Engineers.

When you read about people getting into their college of choice, it's because as an Arts and Science student a college accepts them before they receive their admission information. They receive residence information immediately because incoming students are guaranteed a spot.

Engineers receive their residence information later, after colleges have set all their residence rooms. This is because unlike incoming Arts and Science students, residence placements for pro-facs are entirely independent of their acceptance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jumpy Jumpy
To clarify (as someone who has straight up read the policies on these sorts of thing), engineers can and do live in college residences. Colleges are allowed to proclaim their own quota for "Pro-Facs" (Professional Faculties -- music, engineering, law, etc). They then fill their residences with some pro-fac students. Some colleges (like Trin) have a 0-1% quota, others have quotas approaching 10%.

Chestnut Residence is not affiliated with any college. It is open to all students, including Engineers.

When you read about people getting into their college of choice, it's because as an Arts and Science student a college accepts them before they receive their admission information. They receive residence information immediately because incoming students are guaranteed a spot.

Engineers receive their residence information later, after colleges have set all their residence rooms. This is because unlike incoming Arts and Science students, residence placements for pro-facs are entirely independent of their acceptance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0