yconic - Accounting 101
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Accounting 101

A photo of Educationisamust Educationisamust
I am a university student, majoring in Political Science. This term I am taking a intro to accounting class as an elective. I do my taxes myself using the computer software and have basic bookkeeping skills, does anyone have any ideas on what I should expect and what skills I should have for university accounting?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of g93 g93

@Educationisamust wrote
I am a university student, majoring in Political Science. This term I am taking a intro to accounting class as an elective. I do my taxes myself using the computer software and have basic bookkeeping skills, does anyone have any ideas on what I should expect and what skills I should have for university accounting?

Did you take Gr 12 accounting? Chances are it is very, very similar.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Educationisamust Educationisamust
I took a paralegal course that had a bit of bookkeeping in it (for how to operate a business), that's abt the extent of it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jordan23 Jordan23

@g93 wrote

@Educationisamust wrote

I didn't take Accounting 12, nor did I take Economics 12. Should I be really worried going into business (accounting stream)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Jordan23 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Educationisamust wrote

I didn't take Accounting 12, nor Economics 12. Should I be really worried going into business (accounting stream)?

I wouldn't be too worried. Business courses aren't required, only recommended. For most universities, first-year accounting is virtually the same as Grade 12 Accounting. So obviously having taken it in Grade 12 will help. But, the universities teach it like you haven't taken it, so it's not particularly hard. Many people get by without having taken business courses. And by second year, everyone will be learning new stuff, so as long as you figure it out in first year, you'll be perfectly fine.

So basically:
Will it be easier having taken Gr 12 business courses? Yeah, for the most part.
Should you be worried about not having taken any? No, don't worry about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0