yconic - Accounting Double Major
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Accounting Double Major

A photo of Agent2424 Agent2424
Hey, I just want your opinions, which one out of the following 3 choices would be best for a double major. I could choose finance but I don't want to overload and want to keep up a good GPA. My concentration currently is Accounting but I might consider choosing another one. So which of the following is the best in terms of job opportunity or what will look best on a resume and to future employers.

1. Concentration in International Business (Would love a job with travel.... could it help with accounting? Subjects are basic and can raise GPA higher)

2. Concentration in Managing People and Organizations (Not sure about this one. It does have things to do with managing organizations and people).

3. Concentration in Marketing (I don't think this will be useful since Accounting and Marketing are 100% different from each other....)

Right now i'm leaning towards international business but does anyone think it's worth doing a double major? Or should i just stick with accounting?

Thanks for the help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of g93 g93
If you are looking to become a CA, virtually all (or all) of your upper year courses will be dedicated to CA credits, and depending on what school you are at you are likely coming back for an additional term to complete these credits.

So basically minoring in something will be difficult. You probably could do something like French or another language if you start in year 1 using your electives for that purpose.

I would speak to someone at the university who could provide the most accurate response to your question. It is their job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@Agent2424 wrote
Hey, I just want your opinions, which one out of the following 3 choices would be best for a double major. I could choose finance but I don't want to overload and want to keep up a good GPA. My concentration currently is Accounting but I might consider choosing another one. So which of the following is the best in terms of job opportunity or what will look best on a resume and to future employers.

1. Concentration in International Business (Would love a job with travel.... could it help with accounting? Subjects are basic and can raise GPA higher)

2. Concentration in Managing People and Organizations (Not sure about this one. It does have things to do with managing organizations and people).

3. Concentration in Marketing (I don't think this will be useful since Accounting and Marketing are 100% different from each other....)

Right now i'm leaning towards international business but does anyone think it's worth doing a double major? Or should i just stick with accounting?

Thanks for the help.

I am specializing in accounting as well. However, I am doing it through the iBBA program, so it is already globally focused. The rest of my electives are going to be focused on finance and strategic management.

People in the industry say it's not good to specialize too heavily early on. It's better to have a broad base of knowledge and know a bit of everything. This it's going to be easier for you to work on different projects within different industries and on different levels. However, that's not the case if you do not want to pursue higher management.
Was this helpful? Yes 0