yconic - Accounting Schools
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Accounting Schools

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
For those of you planning on going through for accounting:

Post what school you feel is best, what your #1 choice is, and where you'll likely be headed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
53 replies

A photo of gassergasser gassergasser
Best one: Waterloo
My 1st choice: Brock BAcc(co-op)
Where I will actually go......Hopefully Brock, but I'm open to other places like Carleton...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Best: Waterloo/Laurier/Schulich
My 1st Choice: Laurier/Waterloo
Where I will likely end up going: Laurier/Waterloo
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jagseer Jagseer
in my opinion, waterloo
thats where i'll most likely go
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jzliu jzliu
Best in my opinion would be Waterloo AFM
Number 1: Still iffy about AFM or Math/CA
Probably: depending on which one wants me... sigh...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Best: Waterloo/Queen's/Schulich/Laurier
Number 1: I'm not sure
Where I'll likely end up: I don't know, just waiting on Waterloo
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is anyone finding it hard to decide where they're going?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote

+ 1

Waterloo is #1 for sure, then prolly Queen's/Schulich/Ivey/Laurier

Ivey has to be up there too
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

+ 1

Waterloo is #1 for sure, then prolly Queen's/Schulich/Ivey/Laurier

Ivey has to be up there too

I am not convinced Waterloo is "the best".

And Ivey isn't really an accounting school. It is definitely below Waterloo/Laurier/Schulich/Queen's. I would think somewhere between Brock and McMaster.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote

And Ivey isn't really an accounting school. It is definitely below Waterloo/Laurier/Schulich/Queen's. I would think somewhere between Brock and McMaster.

I'd put Ivey ahead of Mac and Brock just because of the name. Yeah it's not known as an accounting school per say, but it's known as a top tier business school
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

I'd put Ivey ahead of Mac and Brock just because of the name. Yeah it's not known as an accounting school per say, but it's known as a top tier business school

The name means diddly-squat. Brock is an excellent accounting school. I would put Ivey ahead of Mac though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I guess my choices would be...
1. Queen's
2. Ivey
3. McMaster
4. Laurier

Didn't think I could get my average up for Schulich so I didn't apply lol...Mind you I didn't apply to Waterloo either because I'm debating between finance and accounting. This is my personal preference though, Laurier's a bit better than McMaster but I like Mac better so that's why it's ahead.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote
I guess my choices would be...
1. Queen's
2. Ivey
3. McMaster
4. Laurier

Didn't think I could get my average up for Schulich so I didn't apply lol...Mind you I didn't apply to Waterloo either because I'm debating between finance and accounting. This is my personal preference though, Laurier's a bit better than McMaster but I like Mac better so that's why it's ahead.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but that list is terribly flawed.

And did you apply to Honours Ec at Laurier?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Not really considering those are the 4 I've applied to...no Schulich or Waterloo (which I'd put ahead of my list)

I'm not sure what that is...I applied to Honours of Business Administration if that's what you mean?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote
Not really considering those are the 4 I've applied to...no Schulich or Waterloo (which I'd put ahead of my list)

I'm not sure what that is...I applied to Honours of Business Administration if that's what you mean?

I don't see how you could put Ivey ahead of Laurier and I definitely don't see how you could put McMaster ahead of Laurier. I could see putting Queen's first.

Then that is HBBA- your sig says HBA, which would be the Honours Bachelor Arts- Economics, although if you went through that for accounting you would end up with an HBAEA- yeah
Was this helpful? Yes 0

ahh my bad lol. Again it's personal preference, I just prefer McMaster as a whole. Yes, in terms of school alone Laurier would be ahead of it, although I based my decision on more than just that too. Ivey and Laurier? Yeah you could switch that either way probably (again I'm still juggling between finance and accounting).

P.S. Changing the signature haha ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer

@johnnycanuck wrote

@Username81 wrote

I don't see how you could put Ivey ahead of Laurier

Why not? Accounting jobs are plentiful there, but you can't really say the same for Laurier. Yes, there are lots of gold medalists, but those are usually the top students at Laurier and it's not as easy to get a job since you're pretty much competing with most of the class as opposed to Ivey where most focus on finance jobs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IanSharer wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@Username81 wrote

I don't see how you could put Ivey ahead of Laurier

Why not? Accounting jobs are plentiful there, but you can't really say the same for Laurier. Yes, there are lots of gold medalists, but those are usually the top students at Laurier and it's not as easy to get a job since you're pretty much competing with most of the class as opposed to Ivey where most focus on finance jobs.

I know many people at Laurier and they find it quite easy to land a job. There's a ton of accounting jobs in the region. Plus there's co-op.

Obviously the top students are going to win the gold medals. What, do you think that the average kida are all going to win them? The same is true for all schools... the better kids do better. Laurier still has the most medal winners.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote
I know many people at Laurier and they find it quite easy to land a job.

Going by facts, Ivey has very, very low unemployment rates and Laurier doesn't even publish theirs. I'm sure those who were able to get into the co-op stream were fine, but the overwhelming amount of others I'm sure weren't as lucky.

@johnnycanuck wrote
There's a ton of accounting jobs in the region. Plus there's co-op.

Like 200(?) get into the co-op stream. Out of that, who knows how many actual accounting jobs students were able to find, while Ivey had a 98% summer employment rate.

@johnnycanuck wrote
Obviously the top students are going to win the gold medals. What, do you think that the average kida are all going to win them? The same is true for all schools... the better kids do better. Laurier still has the most medal winners.

I meant that out of a class of 700+ (or however many there is), only a handful of the absolute top (and even then it's usually the double degree kids) were gold medal winners. That's too little a number to base your assumption off of. It's a better idea to think about employment opportunities and overall reputation (target school, etc...) rather than where the few gold medalists came from.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aaaaaa3 aaaaaa3
You guys are crazy not to put Ivey up there. We have countless postings at all the big firms. The only downside is that not all required courses are offered by Ivey but they are in turn offered by Western.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Laurier takes a large number of students. The ones who don't get into co-op and can't get a job without co-op are the ones who are their to party and/or just don't have that drive in them to be the best. There will be more of these at Laurier than Ivey/Schulich/Queen's. And another thing that needs to be kept in mind is that yes Ivey has high employment rates, but are some of those jobs not that good? Did the students have to take a job somewhere they don't want to be, at a lower pay and less of a chance to climb the ranks in the company? How many of their accounting jobs are CATOs? Just because they have some numbers doesn't mean everything about Ivey is cut and dry and Laurier is fuzzy.

There are a lot of good firms in the region and a lot of places that take Laurier students, whether they are in co-op or not. I have talked to students in Laurier, both BBA and DD, as well as industry professionals- RIM for exmaple takes Laurier co-op students (and Waterloo) but little of others (talking bus/accounting related).

vincerz didn't make it in co-op but he said he landed an auditing job in the summer after first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aaaaaa wrote
You guys are crazy not to put Ivey up there. We have countless postings at all the big firms. The only downside is that not all required courses are offered by Ivey but they are in turn offered by Western.

I know Ivey is good, but I'm not sure if I would put them in 1st. I would put them after Waterloo/Schulich/Laurier/Queen's, but ahead of Brock/McMaster.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote
Just because they have some numbers doesn't mean everything about Ivey is cut and dry and Laurier is fuzzy.

No, but everything you've said is purely speculation.

Besides the money, it's a much better choice to pick Ivey if you were to pick one of the two. They're both accredited, but require an extra semester for the CA courses, both have great accounting reputation, but ultimately the Ivey name will be much more beneficial. That's all we can really argue about since the rest is up to the individual.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IanSharer wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote
Just because they have some numbers doesn't mean everything about Ivey is cut and dry and Laurier is fuzzy.

No, but everything you've said is purely speculation.

Besides the money, it's a much better choice to pick Ivey if you were to pick one of the two. They're both accredited, but require an extra semester for the CA courses, both have great accounting reputation, but ultimately the Ivey name will be much more beneficial. That's all we can really argue about since the rest is up to the individual.

The name means nothing. They really don't care.

A lot of what you said is speculation. I don't see why what I have said is any more speculation?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote

A lot of what you said is speculation. I don't see why what I have said is any more speculation?

Examples:

"Those who didn't get jobs at Laurier weren't there for school anyway"

"Ivey students probably get a lot of crap jobs"

Both can apply to Laurier, but in the end Ivey has as much of an accounting presence, if not more, than Laurier. The difference you have to focus on is the school. And no, that doesn't mean the difference between the name you get on your degree, it means the difference in teaching methods, networking events, big firm presence in your school, conferences, alumni, etcetera, which Ivey has the edge in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IanSharer wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

Examples:

"Those who didn't get jobs at Laurier weren't there for school anyway"

"Ivey students probably get a lot of crap jobs"

Both can apply to Laurier, but in the end Ivey has as much of an accounting presence, if not more, than Laurier. The difference you have to focus on is the school. And no, that doesn't mean the difference between the name you get on your degree, it means the difference in teaching methods, networking events, big firm presence in your school, conferences, alumni, etcetera, which Ivey has the edge in.

I was not suggesting that Ivey students get crap jobs, I was simply stating that you cannot assume they get good jobs.

And in contact with Laurier students, the former is mostly true.

All that other stuff you said is all speculation/assumptions/generalizations/crap.
Was this helpful? Yes 0