yconic - Accounting VS. Finance?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Accounting VS. Finance?

A photo of waazup waazup
Hmm, so I think that the time has come where I decide what I want to pursue.

Feel free to describe both, talk about anything - schools, work environment, work load, work location, employment in Canada vs. US, salaries, preference, employment statistics, etc.

These are the two fields I desire the most. First, when I was young, I wanted to become a CA. Then just recently I wanted to become an investment banker or go into finance for like at least 8 months. Now, from seeing how much you guys value accounting, I would like to open my doors towards CA also, because I think it is more of a "secure" job? I know I can decide till the 3rd year, but really tell me, what are the pros and cons of each?

I have a quesiton too - When becoming a CA, do you need to know a lot of contacts - like I mean once you work for a company. Is the job secure, valuable? I know for finance it's all about reputation, contacts and negotiating deals - sounds a bit "uneasy".

So guys, fill me in!

EDIT: Ok, FAIL. Just noticed there was an identical thread when I scrolled down. But if you would like, please reply here!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Contacts are always helpful. Networking is an important skill.

Useful links:

http://guidetorulingtheworld.ca/

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/

(can't get CA salary report to load)

If you are unsure, go to a full business program and then decide.

Something you could do possibly is get your CA then head into the finance world.

If you have any specific questions about CAs or accounting, I can do my best to answer them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Accounting!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
They overlap greatly and I'd just recommend going into a general business program (Queen's/Schulich) and trying to specialize in both. Most accountants don't actually do accounting for long, and most people specializing in finance don't make it to the top investment positions anyway.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@IanSharer wrote
They overlap greatly and I'd just recommend going into a general business program (Queen's/Schulich) and trying to specialize in both. Most accountants don't actually do accounting for long, and most people specializing in finance don't make it to the top investment positions anyway.

+ 1

I am choosing accounting because it opens many doors, and I will always have a nice back-up of just a solid public accounting job.

But I would like to get into industry, or possibly finance, I'm not really sure yet. We'll see how it goes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0