yconic - Actuarial Science U of T or UW......
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Actuarial Science U of T or UW......

A photo of Catherines Catherines
Hey guys..
Can anyone give any suggestions about which uni is better for Actuatial Science?
Thxxx..:)
and also my English mark is 13 points lower than my average for now,
is it possible for me to get in Trin Actuarial Science or UW AS with these marks?
My top 6 are:
Advanced Function 99
Data Management 99
Calculus 99
Chem 95
Computer Science 96
English 82 (apparently it's not a top 6..:S)

Thxxx..really looking forward to ur answers. :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0
19 replies

A photo of Haru Haru
I would say UW ActSci is better. I think with those marks, you'd be able to get in both sides. Haven't you already???
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Actually not yet..
I only got in Western so far,
and wondering if anyone have already been accepted by UT or UW AS..:)
just afraid that they'll reject me for that horrible English mark

as for UW and UT, sounds like you like UW much better..lol.:D
thxx anyway..:)..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
it's actually not that i like uw much better, i just know it better. i have heard good things about ut math though. you should probably look further into that. and your english mark isn't that bad, doesn't effect your average THAT much. your overall average is quite good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blackjack blackjack
I think you'd def be able to get in both. I know waterloo math only requires about mid 80's, and toronto is prob around the same. They're both good for math but I hear that Waterloo Actuarial science is a pretty good program. I don't think you can go wrong with either though
Was this helpful? Yes 0

:) Thxx..
UW is known for its math after all
but UT is stronger in general
I've heard a lot about both programs too..
kick-out rate for both is high and it takes 1 more year to graduate in UW..
but definitely UW prepares students better for a job

as for UT, the university environment is more entertaining compared to UW I guess
and there're more choices in UT, easier for program transfer :)
anyway. what're your pros and cons?
:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@blackjack wrote
I think you'd def be able to get in both. I know waterloo math only requires about mid 80's, and toronto is prob around the same. They're both good for math but I hear that Waterloo Actuarial science is a pretty good program. I don't think you can go wrong with either though

Thxx..:)
maybe it is actually easier to get in to UW compared to UT.
I heard that Trinity's cutoff is 92% this year
and have u heard anything regarding the supplemental form?
like how they actually calculate students' final average? SPF accounts for 15% or ?.
:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of angepange angepange
Im going to say UW because...

if you take actuarial science at u of t you will be required to take MAT137 which is a KILLER. Im talking minimum 10 hours of math homework every week + assignments just to pass. Its considered overtly difficult even by uoft standards. Many (bright) people's dreams of going into architecture or actuarial science are thwarted by this course bc they didnt anticipate the level of difficulty. Other than that, U of T is a great university (awesome professors!) with a great reputation but you need to understand that reputation comes with a price. Getting an A at U of T is wayyyyy harder than getting an A in highschool; you're going to have to work very hard. If you think you can handle it, go to u of t. If you want to keep your sanity intact, go to UW :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@angepange wrote
Im going to say UW because...

if you take actuarial science at u of t you will be required to take MAT137 which is a KILLER. Im talking minimum 10 hours of math homework every week + assignments just to pass. Its considered overtly difficult even by uoft standards. Many (bright) people's dreams of going into architecture or actuarial science are thwarted by this course bc they didnt anticipate the level of difficulty. Other than that, U of T is a great university (awesome professors!) with a great reputation but you need to understand that reputation comes with a price. Getting an A at U of T is wayyyyy harder than getting an A in highschool; you're going to have to work very hard. If you think you can handle it, go to u of t. If you want to keep your sanity intact, go to UW :)

Thxx for the info..:)
umm. I thought for UW kids they have to take MAT137 as well
but UT standard definitely sounds crazy than UW's :S
btw..we can only choose specific major in the second year ryt?
Is it fairly hard to enter second year AS?
Thxx..:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cclia193 Cclia193
Hello, I got into actuarial science for UW and UofT and I'm very conflicted in which one to choose. Waterloo seems like a good environment to actually study and all but it seems quite boring, UofT is more interesting but I'm afraid I'll get distracted a lot but my brother is also there...
Also is coop at Waterloo really worth it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
I'd say UW. Co-op is a huge help, and UW's is excellent. You will most likely have a job offer coming right out of school, and be able to get some extra money for whatever. Internships or something that you can apply to, if you go to UT, are great and all, but they are much harder to get then if you are in a Co-op program. If you prefer more of a downtown feel though, then UT would also be a good choice.

Don't base your decision on one first year course. No one will care about it when you graduate and are applying for a job. However, if someone can direct me to a copy of a UofT MAT137 exam I'd be more then happy to compare it's difficulty to UW MATH 137.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Cclia193 wrote
Hello, I got into actuarial science for UW and UofT and I'm very conflicted in which one to choose. Waterloo seems like a good environment to actually study and all but it seems quite boring, UofT is more interesting but I'm afraid I'll get distracted a lot but my brother is also there...

Congratesss!!..:)
I guess for job purpose, definitely UW is a better choice
but if u're not sure about whether u can handle AS or not (I guess u'll be ok for both universities), UT may be better since they have better choice for program transfer
UW is a school only for studying, not much fun to be honest
UT is where u can build social network :)
and if u don't mind, can I know ur average so far?
Thxxx..:)..cuz I'm really anxious and I kinda want to know the acceptance standard. :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Catherines wrote

@Cclia193 wrote

but if u're not sure about whether u can handle AS or not (I guess u'll be ok for both universities), UT may be better since they have better choice for program transfer
Thxxx..:)..cuz I'm really anxious and I kinda want to know the acceptance standard. :D

Thanks :) yeah I think UW is better but I am worried I won't be able to handle AS... But UT AS shouldn't be that bad right? Should I just go there because they will have more options in case I really can't handle AS? Agh it's so hard to choose!!! I don't know what to do! Do you think both unis level of hardness will be around the same?
Btw I don't get why you're not accepted yet! Your marks are so high! My avg was only 93%...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Cclia193 wrote

@Catherines wrote

@Cclia193 wrote

Thanks :) yeah I think UW is better but I am worried I won't be able to handle AS... But UT AS shouldn't be that bad right? Should I just go there because they will have more options in case I really can't handle AS? Agh it's so hard to choose!!! I don't know what to do! Do you think both unis level of hardness will be around the same?
Btw I don't get why you're not accepted yet! Your marks are so high! My avg was only 93%...

:)..I guess because I don't have my midterm mark yet
So far I only have 4 marks on OUAC and English is not included. :)
btw, do u have all top 6 on OUAC now?

I asked my teacher about the hardness of the two unis..
and he told me that they're both not easy
if u're just going for math..
I guess UW will be a better choice since they have superior math programs to choose from.
but if u want to go for business, UT is definitely better for its Rotman (I'm not sure about how hard it is to transfer into Rotman though)
anyway..I think u can handle AS :)
PS:
My reason for not going to UW is the social life there..hahh..:)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah I have my top six I think...I'm not from Ontario area ( I'm from bc) so I just sent in my transcript basically :)
Yeah I think in te end I will choose UofT haha but I don't know, it's a tough choice...i don't know if I want to do coop either cuz I won't be able to have a summer for the next like four years :/
Maybe I'll see you at UofT next year for AS then haha :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Cclia193 wrote
Yeah I have my top six I think...I'm not from Ontario area ( I'm from bc) so I just sent in my transcript basically :)
Yeah I think in te end I will choose UofT haha but I don't know, it's a tough choice...i don't know if I want to do coop either cuz I won't be able to have a summer for the next like four years :/

Hahh :) probably
but I'm still waiting for the acceptance letter
and hopefully I can get into both..
but then I'll start to worry about the same problem as u
actually for the program itself, UW is better than UT
but u do need to sacrifice a lot for the UW AS coop program :3
anyway..
goooood luuuck.. :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Catherines wrote

@Cclia193 wrote

Hahh :) probably
but I'm still waiting for the acceptance letter
and hopefully I can get into both..
but then I'll start to worry about the same problem as u
actually for the program itself, UW is better than UT
but u do need to sacrifice a lot for the UW AS coop program :3
anyway..
goooood luuuck.. :D

I'm pretty sure you'll get your acceptance letter soon! Hehe thanks for all the info and the best of luck to you :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thxxx.. :)
I got accepted by U of T Trin today :)
and gooood luuck to u too..:D.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Catherines wrote
Thxxx.. :)
I got accepted by U of T Trin today :)
and gooood luuck to u too..:D.

Congrats!!! :)