yconic - Admission Average Cutoffs?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Admission Average Cutoffs?

A photo of coldpulse coldpulse
Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding the admission average cutoff. Let's say the CUTOFF FOR EARLY ADMISSION for a certain program is 75% and the actual average you obtained was 74 %. Is there a good chance of you getting accepted to that program?

Thanks. :bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of PurpleMustang PurpleMustang
If the cut-off is 75% and you have 74%, you will not be accepted.

If the *average* admission average is 75% and you have 74%, you will likely be accepted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

let me further clarify on what the institution states about its cutoffs.

"Due to enrollment management restrictions, the University does not guarantee that students who meet the minimum admission requirements as published in the academic calendar will be admitted to any faculty, program or course. In cases where the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number that can be accommodated, the University reserves the right to set enrollment limits for a faculty or program and to establish admission criteria (“cutoffs”) beyond the minimum published requirement."

In short, could someone explain what this means?

Thanks.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@coldpulse wrote
let me further clarify on what the institution states about its cutoffs.

"Due to enrollment management restrictions, the University does not guarantee that students who meet the minimum admission requirements as published in the academic calendar will be admitted to any faculty, program or course. In cases where the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number that can be accommodated, the University reserves the right to set enrollment limits for a faculty or program and to establish admission criteria (“cutoffs”) beyond the minimum published requirement."

In short, could someone explain what this means?

Thanks.

I interpret this as saying:

Let's assume that the university cut-off is listed at 75%. Let's also assume that there are 150 spots allocated to this program. If 180 students apply to this program who all have at least a 75% average, they will raise the cut-off to ensure that only 150 students are accepted to the program, as that is the maximum amount of seats they have available.

Does this make sense?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So, essentially if you have over a 75 % average, you will be considered first, and if there are any spots available, they might consider people who have below that 75 % average. Is that right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@coldpulse wrote
So, essentially if you have over a 75 % average, you will be considered first, and if there are any spots available, they might consider people who have below that 75 % average. Is that right?

If the cut-off is indeed 75%, they will likely work backwards - starting with the highest grades, until they fill all of their spots. This is typically the way they succumb to a "cut-off". However, in an instance where there are only 120 applicants who have averages over 75%, and have 150 available spots, then those with averages lower than 75% will likely be considered (don't quote me on that; they may just settle for 120 qualified students, rather than lower their cut-off and fill all spots).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Alright I understand. Thanks a lot for clarifying this. I really appreciate it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0