yconic - Admission Scholarships
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Admission Scholarships

A photo of athrunxo athrunxo
Are admission scholarships based on midterm marks or final marks? I know you have to maintain your midterm if they offer it to you, but what happens if your mark increases, and qualifies for a bigger scholarship?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
27 replies

A photo of g93 g93
It's based off of whatever mark you get an offer off of.

Final marks keep the offer. If they improve, you get a bigger scholarship.

Waterloo you can only increase your scholarship though :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
I think it's different for all Universities.

For some, it's based on the offer.
For some, it's final mark.
For some, it's what g93 said.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CityBoy CityBoy
Then they increase the scholarship offer, like when I got my acceptance from Carleton in January I got 8000, but in March they sent me a letter saying it increased to 12000.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of athrunxo athrunxo

@g93 wrote

So lets say, if I have 94 average right now, and get 95 by finals, I get the bigger scholarship?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@athrunxo wrote

@g93 wrote

So lets say, if I have 94 average right now, and get 95 by finals, I get the bigger scholarship?

Yep.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prefontaine prefontaine
Anyone have any idea how the President's Cenntenial Scholarship at Laurier works? The letter that I got from them (with the acceptance package) said that it could be awarded at mid-terms. If I had a 95.0% average and they gave it to me then, would they expect me to keep that average? I'm really hoping they award it regardless (even if I drop a few %)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@prefontaine wrote
Anyone have any idea how the President's Cenntenial Scholarship at Laurier works? The letter that I got from them (with the acceptance package) said that it could be awarded at mid-terms. If I had a 95.0% average and they gave it to me then, would they expect me to keep that average? I'm really hoping they award it regardless (even if I drop a few %)

Yes, you have to maintain it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru

@g93 wrote

REALLY?? (if so, you just made my day)
Just to confirm again, lets say if i get 96% top 6 up till midterm (in which I will be awarded president's scholarship of distinction) and drop to 94% by final, does that mean I won't lose the 96% scholarship?

It doesn't say anywhere on the UW site. SO just wanted to make sure :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Haru wrote

@g93 wrote

Just to confirm again, lets say if i get 96% top 6 up till midterm (in which I will be awarded president's scholarship of distinction) and drop to 94% by final, does that mean I won't lose the 96% scholarship?

That's what they were saying at the AFMAA
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru

@g93 wrote

@Haru wrote

@g93 wrote

That's what they were saying at the AFMAA

ok i will call them tmrw
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@prefontaine wrote

Are you totally sure? Like did you ask them?

It just seems pointless to award the scholarship at mid-term if the same mark has to be maintained for finals...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@prefontaine wrote

@g93 wrote

@prefontaine wrote

Are you totally sure? Like did you ask them?

It just seems pointless to award the scholarship at mid-term if the same mark has to be maintained for finals...

It says in the admission package, and on the website.

Edit: And it's HBBA, not HBA (your sig)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Where does it say this on the admissions package/online?

This excerpt is taken right off the yellow piece of paper that came with the package: "In addition, students who achieve a MIDTERM or final average of 95.0% or higher will also be eligible for the President's Centennial Scholarship".

I know the mark must be maintained for the Entrance Scholarships, but I believe that the President's Cenntenial is separate from them.

Thanks for the help BTW.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@prefontaine wrote
Where does it say this on the admissions package/online?

This excerpt is taken right off the yellow piece of paper that came with the package: "In addition, students who achieve a MIDTERM or final average of 95.0% or higher will also be eligible for the President's Centennial Scholarship".

I know the mark must be maintained for the Entrance Scholarships, but I believe that the President's Cenntenial is separate from them.

Thanks for the help BTW.

I can't remember where I put my admissions package, but from the website:
These awards are offered based on the best six final grade 12 U/M marks.

Trust me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Under the "Financial Support" section of the Admissions viewbook, its also reads "Presidents Centennial Scholarship - Awarded to applicants with mid-term or final average entering grades of 95% and over."

I think that it is highly probably that this might be the case, considering they would want to attract kids by gauranteeing them the scholarship before they make their choice. A lot of scholarships are also awarded before final grades are given out (though the fact that this one is purely merit does pleasently suprise me).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@prefontaine wrote
Under the "Financial Support" section of the Admissions viewbook, its also reads "Presidents Centennial Scholarship - Awarded to applicants with mid-term or final average entering grades of 95% and over."

I think that it is highly probably that this might be the case, considering they would want to attract kids by gauranteeing them the scholarship before they make their choice. A lot of scholarships are also awarded before final grades are given out (though the fact that this one is purely merit does pleasently suprise me).

See post above.

They would prefer to make it seem like people will get in, then not have to pay it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Where does it say they have to be "final" marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@prefontaine wrote
Where does it say they have to be "final" marks?

@laurier wrote
final

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do you happen to have a link to this though? Because on the site it doesn't say anything about them being final marks... just says your overall average has to be 95.0%
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@prefontaine wrote
Do you happen to have a link to this though? Because on the site it doesn't say anything about them being final marks... just says your overall average has to be 95.0%

http://www.wlu.ca/page.php?grp_id=2548&p=12778

And it says it on the letter in the admission package. Up at the top, scholarship is, your average is, maintain this mark at finals to keep it...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Admission package: it says it on the letter (offer of admission), says on that Laurier booklet, and says on the yellow sheet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm thinking (or hoping) they are just refering to the normal entrance scholarships.

I'm going to call the office tomorrow to find out though. Thanks for your help :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@prefontaine wrote
I'm thinking (or hoping) they are just refering to the normal entrance scholarships.

I'm going to call the office tomorrow to find out though. Thanks for your help :)

No, because I got the PC scholarship and it still says final marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh, well I guess my summer break won't start in May then lol.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

How did you get it before midterms? Have you already completed 6 courses at 95%?
Was this helpful? Yes 0