yconic - Admission to applied science at UBC
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Admission to applied science at UBC

A photo of Hug Hug
Hi guys I'm in grade 12 this years and I'm planning to go to applied science at UBC.
I've finished math 12 english 12 and physics 12 last year during grade 11 and right now I'm taking chemistry 12
I got 97% in math 12
84% in English 12 but including provincial exam, my mark will be like 73%....
81% in physics 12 but i retook it and got 92% in the end.
So right now I'm getting 98% in chemistry 12, do u think my average will be high enough to get in to UBC applied science?
For physics, are they looking at your average mark or the highest mark?
And for English, i heard that if u get lower than 75% in ur english 12, u have to take an extra English class or something.
If that's true, do i have to take it? because if not including provincial exam, my mark is higher than 75%
Thanks for helping guys
Was this helpful? Yes 0
22 replies

A photo of civilboy civilboy
I got in on january 10 no ib diploma or ap courses just the normal courses im from ontario though i think ur border line but if u submitted a strong supplementary application you should be granted admission no worries:):cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Hug Hug

@civilboy wrote
I got in on january 10 no ib diploma or ap courses just the normal courses im from ontario though i think ur border line but if u submitted a strong supplementary application you should be granted admission no worries:):cheers:

You got into UBC applied science already?
I thought UBC will start accepting ppl in march or something like that
And I'm at the border line right now?
If i'm not wrong, my avg is around 92.75%(98+84+97+92)
U saying that my mark is not high enough?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Ontario students have an advantage over anyone else because they have OUAC. Their marks are already posted via OUAC so UBC already has access to marks and have already given out offers of admission to Ontario students.

As for your English mark, it's true about the 73%. You have 2 options really, either to re-take the provincial, but the next provincial is in June so I think it's a bit too late for that.. or take the LPI. I heard the LPI was really easy.. anyone can get a 5/6.

With the current marks you have posted.. you would have a 90% average. That's right around cut-off for science admissions. If you can boost up your English mark and get an average above 90, you're good to go.
Otherwise, do the supplemental!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Hug Hug

@cyynthiia wrote
Ontario students have an advantage over anyone else because they have OUAC. Their marks are already posted via OUAC so UBC already has access to marks and have already given out offers of admission to Ontario students.

As for your English mark, it's true about the 73%. You have 2 options really, either to re-take the provincial, but the next provincial is in June so I think it's a bit too late for that.. or take the LPI. I heard the LPI was really easy.. anyone can get a 5/6.

With the current marks you have posted.. you would have a 90% average. That's right around cut-off for science admissions. If you can boost up your English mark and get an average above 90, you're good to go.
Otherwise, do the supplemental!

Wait I'm planning to go to applied science (Engineering) not science and i heard it has a lower avg than science.
Besides, I thought UBC will look at ur final mark for english 12 and for UBC “final” means either the final course-only grade assigned by the teacher, or the final grade including the government examination, whichever is higher.
http://www.english.ubc.ca/ugrad/1styear/3_2009.htm
So wont they look at my school mark which is 84% because it is higher?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm pretty sure the averages will be in the same range.
Give or take 2-3%, they're both still sciences, so it can't be that far off.

That's the case for optional provincial exams, they will take the higher of the two.. but I'm not 100% sure if it's the same with the English provincial, since it is a MANDATORY exam for graduation.
I've heard from some people that they take the blended because it's mandatory, but I've heard from others that they will take the higher of the two.
Actually going to go ask my career counsellor that tomorrow to verify.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Hug Hug

@cyynthiia wrote

That's the case for optional provincial exams, they will take the higher of the two.. but I'm not 100% sure if it's the same with the English provincial, since it is a MANDATORY exam for graduation.
I've heard from some people that they take the blended because it's mandatory, but I've heard from others that they will take the higher of the two.

Lol thanks i want to know about that too
But what do u think about the site that i showed u then?
Doesn't it say that final mark can be either your school mark or the blended mark?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah I looked at it
But that was for students admitted in the 2009/2010 year, it could have changed, although I doubt it.
So I shall check up on that tomorrow and I'll post what I find out! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Hug Hug

@cyynthiia wrote

Oh by the way i forgot to tell u
engineering is often has a lower avg than science because the requirement is very different.
Engineering requires math 12 eng 12 chem 12 and physics while science requires math 12 eng 12 and two other provincial examinable courses.
People can use history 12 (which is easier than physics)or AP courses such as Ap arts and apply to science.
That being said, science avg is always higher than engineering program not just by 2-3%
Was this helpful? Yes 0

General sciences isn't too far off.
Its Eng 12, Math 12, Bio/Chem/Phys 12, and THEN any other provincially examinable course.
But I guess you could be right.
Fair enough.
:bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Hug Hug

@cyynthiia wrote
General sciences isn't too far off.
Its Eng 12, Math 12, Bio/Chem/Phys 12, and THEN any other provincially examinable course.
But I guess you could be right.
Fair enough.
:bball:

Alright at least im not totally wrong
so now the only thing that i worry is the eng mark
If nothing is changed i guess i should be fine right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yepp you'd be good to gooo. :)
You could always take the LPI if you're that concerned about it..
but I wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure your English mark is fine.
My friend just said it's the higher of the two as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Hug Hug

@cyynthiia wrote
Yepp you'd be good to gooo. :)
You could always take the LPI if you're that concerned about it..
but I wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure your English mark is fine.
My friend just said it's the higher of the two as well.

Ok thank god so i guess all i have to do is just focus on my chemistry mark then :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

your marks are quite strong better than mine surprised you havent gotten in I got in almoust a month ago i called them yesterday the admissions office and they said i had bearily made cutoff and i have just above 90% in my best 6 they dont look at your ouac i sent my transcripts and thats it. I applied realllllyyyyy early though first week september i guess your acceptance should come soon!:cheers: I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND for you to do the supplemental it does not hurt to do it.

Just so you believe that i got accepted, once your accepted log in to cwl andd home page should appear with "you have 1 new alert" and boom "Congratulations you have been admitted to ubc!" yay!!! i was so happy. I hope I get either major entrance award or the entrance award
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Hug Hug

@civilboy wrote
your marks are quite strong better than mine surprised you havent gotten in I got in almoust a month ago i called them yesterday the admissions office and they said i had bearily made cutoff and i have just above 90% in my best 6 they dont look at your ouac i sent my transcripts and thats it. I applied realllllyyyyy early though first week september i guess your acceptance should come soon!:cheers: I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND for you to do the supplemental it does not hurt to do it.

Just so you believe that i got accepted, once your accepted log in to cwl andd home page should appear with "you have 1 new alert" and boom "Congratulations you have been admitted to ubc!" yay!!! i was so happy. I hope I get either major entrance award or the entrance award

Oh congratz! Did u do the supplemental?
Well I'm a BC student so i have to wait for self report to open in march :scratch:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@Hug wrote

@civilboy wrote

Oh congratz! Did u do the supplemental?
Well I'm a BC student so i have to wait for self report to open in march :scratch:

I've wondered about this, too. Why do we wait so long compared to Ontario?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

At first they had only offered me admission to okanagan campus and then a week ago they accepted me into vancouver for first choice without submitting the supplementary
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Hug Hug

@civilboy wrote
At first they had only offered me admission to okanagan campus and then a week ago they accepted me into vancouver for first choice without submitting the supplementary

Really? That's awesome!
What is your average anyway?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

89.83 I'm still not sure if I will accept I would have to win their 40 grAnd entrance award which is possible I'm in a good position to win
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Hug Hug

@civilboy wrote
89.83 I'm still not sure if I will accept I would have to win their 40 grAnd entrance award which is possible I'm in a good position to win

Well i wish u the best luck! :cheers:
Do u know the cut off for engineering this year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Anyone with under 85 shouldn't bother applying
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Hug Hug

@civilboy wrote
Anyone with under 85 shouldn't bother applying

why? U have a friend who got 85% or below and didnt get in?
Was this helpful? Yes 0