yconic - admissions help!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

admissions help!

A photo of Ren416 Ren416
Okay I originally didn't want to do this but a lot of people are giving me different facts and opinions thats really confusing me so I thought I would try to get some help with you experts on the forum.

My marks are

Taken last year

Accounting grade 12 - 91
Data grade 12 - 95
English 12 (summer school) - 90

Current

Economics grade 12 - 93
Advance Functions grade 12 - 93
Religion - too low...

Next semester

Calculas (predicted) - 93

My E/Cs are

Mayor's youth advisory commmittee, its kind of like the student council, except for the whole city (1 year)
Swimming, make it to OFSAA in my junior year (4 years)
Cadets, (6 years)
Excutive Editor for school magazine
Tutouring grade 11 & 12
Lifeguard, one summer
campaigned for a political party during the recent federal election.
Sunday school teacher
and a couple more of other small stuff

I am applying to in order of preference

Waterloo Math/CA
Waterloo AFM-PA
Western Ivey, Queens commerce
Brock accounting co-op
Rotman, york iBBA

I was wondering what my chances are for there programs.
Also when I apply on OUAC, does it matter what order of preference I list it as? For example, if i place western ivey as like my 5th choice, will they deny me because I placed them as one of my last preferences or not? And am i limited to only 6 programs or can I apply for more?

Thanks in advance!

Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of aeryn aeryn
You should get into all of them except Math/CA. The order on OUAC matters to some schools; no one knows for sure. You're not limited to 6 programs :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ren416 Ren416
Hey thanks for the reply! So should i even apply to Math/CA? Do I even have a slight chance if i perform good on the eculid and have good reference letters?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
You should definitely apply. :) It never hurts. Your EC's are pretty strong, but you'll have a higher chance if you get a mid 90s average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
If you're so intent on being a CA (judging from the programs you want to apply to), may I ask why Schulich is last? :o
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SBStudent SBStudent

@aeryn wrote
If you're so intent on being a CA (judging from the programs you want to apply to), may I ask why Schulich is last? :o

I noticed that too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ren416 Ren416
To be honest I think that my chances of getting a mid- 90 average isn't that great.

Also I am not 100% set on becoming a CA, but I guess thats the route I am heading in. I placed waterloo first because they have co-op therefore its better networking opportunities, correct me if I am wrong.

I think I placed york last because I don't know that much about it. I did some research I get a lot of mixed opinions so I am so confused!

Would you place iBBA over ivey, queens, or waterloo?

Also is iBBA and BBA that much of a difference?

If you don't might you can re-rank them to give me a better idea.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of erudite erudite

@Ren416 wrote
To be honest I think that my chances of getting a mid- 90 average isn't that great.

Also I am not 100% set on becoming a CA, but I guess thats the route I am heading in. I placed waterloo first because they have co-op therefore its better networking opportunities, correct me if I am wrong.

I think I placed york last because I don't know that much about it. I did some research I get a lot of mixed opinions so I am so confused!

Would you place iBBA over ivey, queens, or waterloo?

Also is iBBA and BBA that much of a difference?

If you don't might you can re-rank them to give me a better idea.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Why not wilfrid laurier too? they have good co-op!
and the difference between iBBA is that they REQUIRE you to go on an exchange trip to a foreign country for a whole semester, while BBA students get the option to. They also require iBBA students to take a foreign language course. Their courses are more globally focussed....for example "international economics" rather than "introduction to macroeconomics"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ren416 Ren416
So is iBBA better since they require a higher average? Does the exchange program cost a lot of money?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
I would definitely place Schulich above Queens and Ivey, but that's just the best choice for me. Let me know if you want me to elaborate more on why I think that.

iBBA: need to reach a certain level of proficiency in a second language + need to study abroad for one semester. iBBA students also need a certain amount of globally focused courses as their electives (ex. first year econ for iBBAs is called microeconomics for managers, and it's a class of 40 ish, whereas the BBAs have econ with York students in a large class). iBBA students also have one chance to switch to BBA at the beginning of second year.

Whether or not iBBA is better depends on your own interests and situation. For me, I liked that international aspect of it. I also like the exclusive factor (90 students vs 280 BBAs), and I wanted to force myself to reach full fluency in another language.

As for exchange costs, while you're on exchange, you pay the same amount for tuition as you would if you were at Schulich for that semester. Living expenses could be cheap or expensive, depending on where you go.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Oh and if you're concerned about networking opportunities, trust me when I say that you'll be bombarded with networking opportunities at Schu.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ren416 Ren416
Yes, please elaborate a bit more on Schulich. What are my chances of being accepted to the iBBA and also where are most of the job placements when you graduate from Schulich. Like, did you have any grades get a job at wall street or bay street? Also is it true schulich is more known of accounting than finance?

I looked at some of the Schulich's exchange schools and not many of them seem to be a high-rep school from other countries. (correct me if I am wrong again)

Thanks for your advice!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
A big chunk of Schulichers end up in accounting. Some are in marketing, then others are spread out in the other fields. Yes, it's true that Schulich is mostly accounting and very little finance. If you're into finance, don't go to Schulich :P Otherwise, go. I think you have a fair chance of getting in to iBBA.

For me, I chose Schulich for a couple of reasons. First, I liked the whole exchange/language/international focus aspect of the iBBA program, and no other school offers anything similar of the same calibre. Schulich's brand is largely comprised of its global and innovative image.

I chose Schulich over Ivey because I didn't like the 2+2 system. Yes, you get to study in a different program for the first two years, but you don't get a degree out of it. If I want to explore courses I have my electives in Schulich. If I decide to go on exchange, or if I miss any part of those two years in Ivey, I think that I would be missing a lot more content because of the condensed curriculum. I wanted a chance to take more general courses first so I would know what I wanted to specialize in later, and Schulich lets me do that. In addition, I think it would be easier to get internships/jobs for the first two years if you're in a program that starts teaching you business from day one. There's also the cost factor - 20k tuition per year for Ivey, residence/living expenses at Western, etc.

I didn't pick Queens because I plan on going into accounting, and Schulich's excellent for that. Again, there was also the fact that it was away from home and I would have to pay for residence. You can't beat Schulich's tuition in terms of value.

This was a summary of my reasons for picking Schulich. Your priorities and interests are probably different from mine, so I encourage you to do some research and pick the right school for you. All I can tell you is that I'm extremely glad to have chosen Schulich. The opportunities are numerous, the student body is like one big family, and I love the building too :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sherrybloosm sherrybloosm
You will get Ivey AEO
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ren416 Ren416
thanks aeryn for the advice, I'll definitely consider schulich if I get accepted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
Assuming that you maintain your marks, your chances of getting in are fairly high.

UW AFM-PA and Queen's Commerce are an exception, however, since they also pay attention to how you present your ECs / experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
If you really want to do accounting but are not sure, I would definitely place Schulich as the #1 option - probably the best for accounting (along with UW), and is amazing for other sectors in business too. Regardless, it is in the same tier as Queen's and Ivey, which should all be at the top of your list along with the UW Accounting programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ren416 Ren416
Wait, so if I want to become a CA, would Schulich be placed over Brock, because I heard that Brock has the second best accounting program after waterloo? Also if I want to become a CA, is Ivey and Queens still better than Brock?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Honestly, I would put Schulich way ahead of Brock. Even if Brock is really good for accounting, I think Schulich's overall reputation and brand is so much better than Brock's. There's a lot of prestige associated with being a Schulich student. It *was* just ranked number one in Canada and 9th in the world last month :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@aeryn wrote
Honestly, I would put Schulich way ahead of Brock. Even if Brock is really good for accounting, I think Schulich's overall reputation and brand is so much better than Brock's. There's a lot of prestige associated with being a Schulich student. It *was* just ranked number one in Canada and 9th in the world last month :p

A differing opinion would say that having co-op during the busy season while at Brock and getting some extra accounting courses will go a long way towards your success. Brock does pretty decent with the Big 4 and does really well with mid-size firms.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ren416 Ren416
ughh, so many different opinions :P Thanks for all your advice, right now I just hope I can get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0