yconic - Advanced Functions for Uni
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Advanced Functions for Uni

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I have a question regarding admission at Schulich, Ivey, Queens, and Rotman.

I have taken advanced functions in grade 11 and I was getting a mark near a 90 but now it has dropped to an 85%. I have the exam left to bring it up but I have heard the exam is insanely hard. I am sure my average will be around low 90s and higher if I work harder. But taking into consideration that Adv. Functions is a pre-requisite for these universities, do you guys think I should repeat it in summer school if I have the chance? I know I will have to write a letter to Schulich but there was no particular reason for me to repeat it in summer school. Will this lower my chances of getting accepted next year? Just let me know if you guys think I should repeat it or whether it will be bad for my application.

Thanks so much for all the help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of apark17 apark17

@ladybug1 wrote

I have taken advanced functions in grade 11 and I was getting a mark near a 90 but now it has dropped to an 85%. I have the exam left to bring it up but I have heard the exam is insanely hard. I am sure my average will be around low 90s and higher if I work harder. But taking into consideration that Adv. Functions is a pre-requisite for these universities, do you guys think I should repeat it in summer school if I have the chance? I know I will have to write a letter to Schulich but there was no particular reason for me to repeat it in summer school. Will this lower my chances of getting accepted next year? Just let me know if you guys think I should repeat it or whether it will be bad for my application.

honestly if u have ~92, decent ECs you will get in pretty much everywhere. Just do well in calc IMO, take summer school for english if you arent good at it.

and no only waterloo and u of t docks, no one else does for summer school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@apark17 wrote

@ladybug1 wrote

honestly if u have ~92, decent ECs you will get in pretty much everywhere. Just do well in calc IMO, take summer school for english if you arent good at it.

and no only waterloo and u of t docks, no one else does for summer school.

How many percent do waterloo and u of t dock?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dangles999 dangles999
I honest don't think it will hurt your chances especially if your average is low 90's. Keep in mind that at some schools the pre requisite is calculus plus one other math, so you could take data to boost your mark.
Just make sure you do well in your other maths. I got into queens commerce this year with an 83 in functions, but I didn't need it since I got a 96 jn calc and 92 in data. Especially for schools like queens and Ivey where your ECS are really important, I don't think the difference between an 85 and a 90 would make a huge deal
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of scollyhunter scollyhunter
its a gr 11 mark, whats the big deal? Just get your 90 in gr 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs

@scollyhunter wrote
its a gr 11 mark, whats the big deal? Just get your 90 in gr 12.

Exactly? Gr. 11 marks really don't matter, in Gr.11 I got a low 80 in functions but I still got Schulich and Ivey first round. Just make sure you get good marks in Grade 12.

For Queen's make sure your prerequisites (English, Calc and other 4U Math) are above 85. I've noticed a lot of my friends with extremely high math marks 99,98 but low English marks 81, 82 and vice-versa, getting rejected.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Huge waste of time to repeat a grade 11 course unless you failed or sincerely don't understand it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@ktel wrote
Huge waste of time to repeat a grade 11 course unless you failed or sincerely don't understand it.

+ 72.8
Was this helpful? Yes 0