yconic - Advice Anyone?!?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Advice Anyone?!?

A photo of Amal Amal
Ok so i reall screwed myself up:pale:
I messed around with my marks and I'm not sure if I'll even GET INTO university.
Usually I have an marks ranging from the high 80's to 90's but this year they have fallen way past that and I'm the one to blame for that.

I wanted to know if universities look down upon students returning for a 5th year because I am seriously considering that. Would they mind? I was thinking they wouldn't especially in my case b/c I'm a yr younger than everyone else in my classes. So If I were to repeat gr12 to upgrade my marks it would just be like graduating normally right?

But i already handed in a "not returning" form so am I not allowed to come back??
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1
U of T and Waterloo Engineering care about "repeated" courses, other than that you are ok. How bad are your marks? I mean how bad can a high 80s student drop that he/she is doubting getting into ANY university?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Amal Amal
[I mean how bad can a high 80s student drop that he/she is doubting getting into ANY university?]

Trust me its pretty bad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
You won't be penalized for taking gr 13. However, you can miss out on some scholarship opportunities...and as what Amal said, you can get penalized for repeating courses in some unis.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
They won't penalize you for grade 13, but they will for repeated courses, as others have said already.
It just depends on the university.
Have you ever considered going to college, then?
Instead of repeating grade 12, you could go to college for a year or two and do a university transfer somewhere down the line.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Amal Amal

@cyynthiia wrote
They won't penalize you for grade 13, but they will for repeated courses, as others have said already.
It just depends on the university.
Have you ever considered going to college, then?
Instead of repeating grade 12, you could go to college for a year or two and do a university transfer somewhere down the line.

I thought about that but I'm still not sure...
Does anyone know if McMaster, Western, or York penalize students for repeating courses??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

At least with college, no one will penalize you for anything since you aren't repeating courses.
I don't think any of those 3 universities will penalize you for repeated courses though.
What program are you looking at?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Amal Amal
I applied for biochem. I was supposed to work really hard but somewhere along I just lost the motivation...
If I were to repeat gr 12 I would have to redo 3 of my current classes. The rest are all okay. It's just those three that are bringing me down.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hmm, I don't know about York but I know that Mac and Western require quite high marks for any kind of science program.. at least in the high 80s.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Amal Amal
Yeah I know so I'll either have to get extremely lucky or come back and not slack off,
and there's still the college option...

Either way I'll be sure to never make the same mistake again. Thanks for the help :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0