yconic - Advice for summer courses?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Advice for summer courses?

A photo of charmingblue charmingblue
I am planning on taking online summer courses and I was looking for some advice.

I need at least 9 credits in order to get OSAP which means 1 full course and 1 half course. Because there's not many online half courses, the councilor told me that I'd probably end up taking 2 full courses. The thing is, that I am also planning on working and I'm worried that it will be too much.

What kinds of courses are easiest to take online during the summer? I'm thinking of taking a math course since I'm good at it.

I'm also thinking that I might ask my parents to help me pay for just one course, but that's last resort.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of Katey Katey
im not sure about taking courses online but i took a math course in the summer and it was the easiest thing i've ever done, it even helped me going into my next semster math course, everything was fresh in my mind and the logic behind everything we learned came so easy
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maroon maroon
I heard that the summer courses are more condensed. Is that true?? I plan on taking chem and physics. Any advice?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of junefukumura junefukumura
Has anyone taken an Fine Arts/Performance Art related summer course?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dimitarlk dimitarlk
I recommend taking a summer course in your grade 11 summer, preferably something that you just want to be done with. I'm personally a math and science student, so I took grade 12 English in summer school, and I got it over with, so now I can enjoy the courses that I like.
As for how condensed the course is, it is an entire course in one month, so it will be very tight, regardless of what you take. I think this can get even worse with science or math courses, where you'll probably cover 3 or 4 lessons per day.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 351351 351351
Whether a summer school course is easy or not kind of depends on the teacher.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BFal BFal
Taking summer courses is an excellent idea for getting ahead, it will definitely reduce the amount of stress that you experience throughout your school year. If you're able to take 4 course per term because of the courses you took in the summer that will help you focus on those 4 courses.
Also, if you want to gain certain requirements for switching your major in university its always a good idea too. Planning on taking math courses in the summer, so i can switch my major in university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nellyj nellyj
I took English in summer school and it was by far much less stressful then taking it during the school year. Plus summer school is only a half so there's still plenty of time to work. I wouldn't advise taking an online course for something that you might need in university or college because you're not learning as well as you would from a teacher speaking to you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@nellyj wrote
I wouldn't advise taking an online course for something that you might need in university or college because you're not learning as well as you would from a teacher speaking to you.

That's not true.
That solely depends on the course you're taking and the kind of student you are.
I took 2 summer school classes, one online and one in school.
I actually did better in the online course than I did the paper-based course.
I took English 12 online and it was the easiest course I have ever taken, but maybe that's because I've always been a pretty strong English student.
Physics, on the order hand, was quite a challenge. I'm not a very good math student, so I found it challenging.
It is VERY condensed. I would learn 1 or 2 chapters a day and have a test on it the very next day with no time in between to really study for it since there was homework for the next chapter due right after. Not to mention that we also had a "midterm" exam and a final exam...
But it did give me a good start to my grade 12 year since I'm retaking it right now and it's such a breeze.

So, if you want to take courses to just get them over with, pick something easy like English or maybe Biology (if you're good at memorizing), or Socials (if you're from the east coast - don't know if you guys have it in the west).
If you want something as a good preview and plan on taking it again over the course of the next year, take something more challenging, like Math or Physics, but if you're very good with numbers, then just take them to get them over with.
I wouldn't advise taking Chemistry over the summer for anyone who's thinking of doing that. You miss out on a LOT of really fun labs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cat11 cat11

@maroon wrote
I heard that the summer courses are more condensed. Is that true?? I plan on taking chem and physics. Any advice?

Summer courses are usually more condensed unless you are fully committed to throwing most of your summer away to studying and u are really good at physics and chem then go ahead but if u want high marks and dnt think will do so well in summer than i suggest only take one course to focus on. From experience I took 2 summer chem courses and did really bad but i also hated chem too....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AlexKim AlexKim
What courses should i take in summer school after grade 11?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of charmingblue charmingblue
Thanks everyone for the replies, but I am talking about university courses, not high school lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
Ide tackle the hardest courses in the summer.

Now this goes both ways: they tend to be considerably easier because the profs are in a good mood in response to the weather and a lot of them just wanna get out there and are at ease more when marking.

BUT at the same time you may find it harder to study because it's depressing to see the great weather out.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats
I heard in ENG4U for summer school you have to write like an essay a day... :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of elmadany elmadany
I'm not too sure, but i did take summer school before, but i hear that summer courses were better, but it varies.
Was this helpful? Yes 0