yconic - Advice on Going to Brock BAcc or Repeating a Year for something Better?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Advice on Going to Brock BAcc or Repeating a Year for something Better?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey guys,
As the title says I'm really stuck between choosing Brock BAcc Non-Co Op or repeating a year of High School to try and get into something better. Queens is where I've always wanted to go, and my second choice was Mac because of their stock trading floor, and I'm a huge fan of the stock market. I'm 100% set on going for Chartered Accountancy if that makes any difference in any advice anyone can give. What happened is that I ended up with a very low mark in advanced functions, and just a slightly higher mark for Calc and vectors (I hate vectors, but doing very well in calc!) for midterms so my average ended up being 79.89333. My mark in the two math courses were so low that either of them brings down my average close to 5%.

Now what it all comes down to is:
I've always wanted to work for the big 4, so is there any chance of that actually happening without co-op?
Is there anyway to get into co-op after first year? Brock says yes, but some on this board claim no, so thats confusing.
Is it worth repeating an extra year of high school to improve my math marks so I can get into say queens?
How similar is the Brock accounting program to Waterloo's?

If I stay on Res, is there any single room res's with personal or shared with 1 other room washrooms? I heard that you have to share bathrooms with 10 other rooms, and for me, that's not something I can live with.

How is the overall university experience at Brock vs Other schools....can you really be proud to say you're from Brock as someone from Waterloo?

I appreciate the help and thanks in advance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of rishnarale rishnarale

@Anonymous wrote
Hey guys,
As the title says I'm really stuck between choosing Brock BAcc Non-Co Op or repeating a year of High School to try and get into something better. Queens is where I've always wanted to go, and my second choice was Mac because of their stock trading floor, and I'm a huge fan of the stock market. I'm 100% set on going for Chartered Accountancy if that makes any difference in any advice anyone can give. What happened is that I ended up with a very low mark in advanced functions, and just a slightly higher mark for Calc and vectors (I hate vectors, but doing very well in calc!) for midterms so my average ended up being 79.89333. My mark in the two math courses were so low that either of them brings down my average close to 5%.

Now what it all comes down to is:
I've always wanted to work for the big 4, so is there any chance of that actually happening without co-op?
Is there anyway to get into co-op after first year? Brock says yes, but some on this board claim no, so thats confusing.
Is it worth repeating an extra year of high school to improve my math marks so I can get into say queens?
How similar is the Brock accounting program to Waterloo's?

If I stay on Res, is there any single room res's with personal or shared with 1 other room washrooms? I heard that you have to share bathrooms with 10 other rooms, and for me, that's not something I can live with.

How is the overall university experience at Brock vs Other schools....can you really be proud to say you're from Brock as someone from Waterloo?

I appreciate the help and thanks in advance!

I say that you should take an extra year of high school, raise your average, and go to queens or mac next year. Queens and Mac are both much better than brock. There is nothing wrong with doing an extra year at high school to raise your average. It's better to stay back so that you can go where you really want, and have a better school (better job opportunities).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Go into the program, do very well, transfer into your program of choice. Better not to waste your life on HS.
Was this helpful? Yes 0