yconic - Advice on Going to Brock BAcc or Repeating a Year for something Better?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Advice on Going to Brock BAcc or Repeating a Year for something Better?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey guys,
As the title says I'm really stuck between choosing Brock BAcc Non-Co Op or repeating a year of High School to try and get into something better. Queens is where I've always wanted to go, and my second choice was Mac because of their stock trading floor, and I'm a huge fan of the stock market. I'm 100% set on going for Chartered Accountancy if that makes any difference in any advice anyone can give. What happened is that I ended up with a very low mark in advanced functions, and just a slightly higher mark for Calc and vectors (I hate vectors, but doing very well in calc!) for midterms so my average ended up being 79.89333. My mark in the two math courses were so low that either of them brings down my average close to 5%.

Now what it all comes down to is:
I've always wanted to work for the big 4, so is there any chance of that actually happening without co-op?
Is there anyway to get into co-op after first year? Brock says yes, but some on this board claim no, so thats confusing.
Is it worth repeating an extra year of high school to improve my math marks so I can get into say queens?
How similar is the Brock accounting program to Waterloo's?

If I stay on Res, is there any single room res's with personal or shared with 1 other room washrooms? I heard that you have to share bathrooms with 10 other rooms, and for me, that's not something I can live with.

How is the overall university experience at Brock vs Other schools....can you really be proud to say you're from Brock as someone from Waterloo?

I appreciate the help and thanks in advance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of Yaroslav64 Yaroslav64
Brock is a good school for business dont feel like you'll hate it because I guarantee you'll love where ever you go. A couple points, you could always try and transfer after first year. You may not want to work for the big four after you graduate, in fact I dont know why you're so set on working for them now there are lots of companies hiring for the exact same positions. Brock has a creditted business program, why not go there?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Yaroslav64 wrote
Brock is a good school for business dont feel like you'll hate it because I guarantee you'll love where ever you go. A couple points, you could always try and transfer after first year. You may not want to work for the big four after you graduate, in fact I dont know why you're so set on working for them now there are lots of companies hiring for the exact same positions. Brock has a creditted business program, why not go there?

The thing with transferring after first year is that would mean a waste for tuition in first year? That's why I was thinking of maybe repeating calc and advanced functions. I'm set on working for the big 4 due to the "Status" you get and how your resume will look if it says you've worked for the big 4. After working for the big 4 almost any company generally is ready to hire you is what I've heard. Reason for not wanting to go to Brock despite an accredited program by the ICAO is that after graduating, I don't think I would want to necessarily "brag" about graduating from Brock on something like my Resume, where as that would not be the case if I were to graduate from Queens or even McMasters.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
To transfer from BAcc non-coop to coop you will require an 80% average after your first year. This is not hard to obtain as long as you put in some time and effort on your accounting and economics courses. I had an 83 and I went out 4 nights a week most weeks. As with your math issues, first year math at brock shouldn’t give you trouble. Stats is a joke and calculus is geared toward kids who have never taken calculus before, so you should be fine. You have online assignments every week, which are annoying but easy, and as long as you do them and get high marks in them, which is not hard, you will do well. The kids who really struggle are the ones who skip these assignments out of laziness.

Brock Accounting is geared towards getting your CA designation. In theory, they should teach you everything that Waterloo will teach you ( I don’t go to Waterloo so I don’t know for sure). It is fully accredited and will get you your 52 credit hours. You also won’t have to take any retarded business courses like management or marketing. It’s a good choice if you want to get a CA

For an undergrad degree, you really shouldn’t worry about you’re school’s prestige that much. If you feel that a Queens degree is necessary for your success, (lol), then you can always do an MBA there after. However for an undergrad degree, you will get just as much recognition for having high marks. You’d be surprised how much recognition Brock Accounting gets in Ontario’s accounting industry. My contacts at KPMG strongly recommended brock to me, which is one of the reasons I came here. My dad is also a brock grad who did all of his co-op at big 4, and is currently in cooperate finance.

Co-op is definitely possible at big 4. Not a lot of kids go to Toronto for co-op, (small towners hate it), so you won’t have a lot of competition for Big 4 offices in Toronto from Brock. However, hiring rates are unpredictable with any school since we are in a recession and likely will be for the next 2-4 years, possibly longer. Be very hesitant believing any school that boasts a 90%+ co-op rate.

I lived in single room in res and I shared a bathroom with one other person. Just request this on your residence form and the odds are you will get it. 90% of single rooms are set up like this. The only res that has communal bathrooms is Decew, and it is generally saved for people who want double rooms.

Student life is bomb. If you want to party, you can party. If you want to study, you can study.

Overall, It may not be a Waterloo Accounting program, but its by no means a joke. Hard work will give you better chances of success over a school. Brock accounting is recognized.
Feel free to message me if you have more questions

(By the way Queens hates repeat courses)
Was this helpful? Yes 0