yconic - Advice on Grade 12 courses
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Advice on Grade 12 courses

A photo of MiniMac MiniMac
Hey everyone, I decided to take these courses next year. Currently I am in grade 11, and in my opinion it's been a good year so far, all except for Math. (Really hard teacher) probably one of my only courses that took a dip from 85 in grade 10 to mid 60ish.. Anyways I was planning to go into business in the future and these are the courses I decided to take in grade 12.

I was wondering for any of you that took these courses, what are your thoughts on them? Are they easy, hard, time consuming?

Courses:

English (ENG4U)
Religion (HRE4M)
Advanced Functions (MHF4U)
Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U)
Data Management (MDM4U)
International Business (BBB4M)
Chemistry (SCH4U)
Physics (SPH4U)

I might look at taking English over the summer.. that way I can have a spare.

How hard would you say a course load like this is for Grade 12?

And also how much different/harder is Advanced Functions from Functions? Thankfully the teacher that teaches adv. functions at my school is much better than the current one I have for functions.

Again, thanks in advance for all your responses :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of jelly jelly
I don't know how you could count a 20% mark decrease solely based on teacher for a subject like math... I don't think the subjectivity range in the subject allows such a huge change lol. That being said, functions is very similar to advanced functions. If you're doing business, please don't take chemistry and physics, they are a complete waste of time. They are probably the hardest high school courses (huge step up from grade 11 versions), so unless they're required for your program (business doesn't need them), don't take them. Your pre-reqs for business programs are two maths and English, usually advanced functions and calculus. If you're not confident in data, take another bird course (business leadership is good). Take the easiest courses you can, really. Business top 6's are so heavily influenced by your electives that you're disadvantaging yourself without at least 1-2 bird courses.

IMO no high school courses actually have high workloads. The highest ones are probably sciences (if you actually keep up with homework), math, and English (variable though). Business courses are generally jokes. Though I don't believe that homework in high school really maters... the concepts are simple enough that a couple of problems/readings before an evaluation and a good listen in class is already enough.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
You said that you want to enter business, which generally has no prerequisites for most programs in Ontario aside from English and one or two maths. However, I would suggest that you continue taking sciences regardless as it'll contribute to a well-rounded education. Also, you'll still have the opportunity to apply to science/engineering programs if you somehow gain an interest in them.

If you've somehow completely ruled out science, then feel free to take as few courses as possible. You're already taking 8 courses, which can be pretty rigorous. I'd suggest taking 6 or 7 in courses where you know you can get very high marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brady23 brady23

@MiniMac wrote
Hey everyone, I decided to take these courses next year. Currently I am in grade 11, and in my opinion it's been a good year so far, all except for Math. (Really hard teacher) probably one of my only courses that took a dip from 85 in grade 10 to mid 60ish.. Anyways I was planning to go into business in the future and these are the courses I decided to take in grade 12.

I was wondering for any of you that took these courses, what are your thoughts on them? Are they easy, hard, time consuming?

Courses:

English (ENG4U)
Religion (HRE4M)
Data Management (MDM4U)
Chemistry (SCH4U)
Physics (SPH4U)

And also how much different/harder is Advanced Functions from Functions? Thankfully the teacher that teaches adv. functions at my school is much better than the current one I have for functions.

If you are going into business I suggest not taking Chemistry and Physics. No one takes chemistry for fun, so unless you have a thought of going into engineering, I say drop chem and physics. Trust me, people who were taking chemistry and physics as an "elective" are regretting it because 50% of their time is dedicated to that subject and it's in their top 6 even though they're getting a 60 in it when they could've gotten an 80 in another course.

Chemistry gets a lot harder in grade 12 and physics, those are pretty much the two hardest courses in grade 12. Why go through all that grief? If your going into business you should take accounting and economics, because those two courses are the core for business, I would even say drop BBB4M if you can take one of the other two because you'll be smooth sailing for university.

The rest of your courses are great, taking all 3 maths is a great idea!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brady23 brady23

@MiniMac wrote

Courses:

English (ENG4U)
Religion (HRE4M)
Data Management (MDM4U)
Chemistry (SCH4U)
Physics (SPH4U)

If you are going into business I suggest not taking Chemistry and Physics. No one takes chemistry for fun, so unless you have a thought of going into engineering, I say drop chem and physics. Trust me, people who were taking chemistry and physics as an "elective" are regretting it because 50% of their time is dedicated to that subject and it's in their top 6 even though they're getting a 60 in it when they could've gotten an 80 in another course.

Chemistry gets a lot harder in grade 12 and physics, those are pretty much the two hardest courses in grade 12. Why go through all that grief? If your going into business you should take accounting and economics, because those two courses are the core for business, I would even say drop BBB4M if you can take one of the other two because you'll be smooth sailing for university.

The rest of your courses are great, taking all 3 maths is a great idea!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MiniMac MiniMac
Thank you everyone for your replies! :) As for my functions course, I still have a chance of bumping it to a 70. There's still an exam left worth 30% But I will definitely prepare ahead for Advanced functions, from what I heard there isn't a huge difference from functions to advanced functions. Also I will look into seeing whether I could drop one of the sciences, I thought about taking it because I was doing well in them this year. Getting an 85 in Physics but have yet to feel the wrath of chemistry lol.

Also with the spare that I might have, I was thinking of taking a course called "IDC4U" in my school there are two courses offered under that code. They are: Interactive Web Development, and Leadership University Prep. would these courses be an average booster? And will universities count them in my top 6? :) Also for those that wanted me to drop BBB4M, there's only one teacher for that course in our school, and I have her for business this year and I am getting a 93.. lol so I am not too keen on dropping it, but thanks for the opinion! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0