yconic - Advice on how to ask a teacher to count an assignment
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Advice on how to ask a teacher to count an assignment

A photo of amhsirak amhsirak
Hey guys. Here is my sitch:
I'm currently taking Philosophy through Virtual School, where 10% of your mark is based on your discussion postings to peers (it's kind of like a SAF). So far, we've been asked to reply to one thread. I was unaware that this was counted towards our midterm mark, but as soon as I found out (asked the teacher), I posted (7-10 days after the deadline). The teacher has given me a zero on this, which is substantially weighing down my mark (from a 93 to an 83). Philosophy is going to be used in my top 6! How should I reason with the teacher to accept this mark? (All the programs I want to go to require low 90's, and this mark will make or break me). This teacher is a hard-ass!!!

Thanks for the input :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of iRamie iRamie
Be open about it and explain your situation to her?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Should I be forceful and aggressive or kiss some ass? He's a guy (if that makes a difference). Really doesn't engage in conversation much, kind of looks mad all the time, etc etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@amhsirak wrote
Should I be forceful and aggressive or kiss-ass some ass? He's a guy (if that makes a difference). Really doesn't engage in conversation much, kind of looks mad all the time, etc etc.

Id take the Kiss-ass road because you don't want to add more Kerosene to a flame... unless you want to set the bush on fire (Your philosophy course)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Alright, this is the email I am sending him. Please give me some feedback on things I should change!!!

Hi Sir,

I do appreciate you taking the time to review my situation further. I want to let you know that I have worked diligently in your class and will continue to do so. The reason I am asking you to consider my discussion postings is due to the fact that it is affecting my Philosophy mark substantially, adversely having an effect on my overall midterm average. As you may know, I am a student looking to enroll into the International Business Program at the Schulich School of Business, York University. In order to gain acceptance into the iBBA program at Schulich, I am required to present a low 90 top 6 mark to meet the cutoff. These discussion posting, although do not seem like a lot, do affect my overall mark and average greatly. Thus far, my marks are as follows:

Data Management - 87
Advanced Functions - 94
English - 92
Calculus - 98
Issues in Human Growth and Development - 83
Philosophy - 83 (Highest mark attainable without the discussion posting and midterm counted)
Average: 89.5%

Data Management - 87
Advanced Functions - 94
English - 92
Calculus - 98
Philosophy - 93 (Highest mark attainable with the discussion posting and midterm counted)
Average: 91.17%

As you can see, it really is a make or break situation. Throughout this course, I have given 110% to each of my assignments, which reflects in my marks. I understand that this puts you in a difficult situation, but I am begging that you reconsider. I realize that I will be able to increase this communication mark as the course progresses; however, universities are concerned with solely with mid term marks at this point. I have yet to be extended an offer of admission, which is why I am concerned. There has been a misunderstanding, for which I am extremely apologetic. I was truly unaware of how to differentiate summative discussion postings with formative ones. However, though my other work, I am sure you are able to recognize my dedication to this course. I do not want a misunderstanding as such to interfere with my future for the next 4 years, and potentially the rest of my life. Please do take a second glance at my situation, as it really does mean a lot to my family and I.

Sincerely,
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1

@iRamie wrote

@amhsirak wrote
Should I be forceful and aggressive or kiss-ass some ass? He's a guy (if that makes a difference). Really doesn't engage in conversation much, kind of looks mad all the time, etc etc.

Id take the Kiss-ass road because you don't want to add more Kerosene to a flame... unless you want to set the bush on fire (Your philosophy course)

lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1

@amhsirak wrote
Alright, this is the email I am sending him. Please give me some feedback on things I should change!!!

Hi Sir,

I do appreciate you taking the time to review my situation further. I want to let you know that I have worked diligently in your class and will continue to do so. The reason I am asking you to consider my discussion postings is due to the fact that it is affecting my Philosophy mark substantially, adversely having an effect on my overall midterm average. As you may know, I am a student looking to enroll into the International Business Program at the Schulich School of Business, York University. In order to gain acceptance into the iBBA program at Schulich, I am required to present a low 90 top 6 mark to meet the cutoff. These discussion posting, although do not seem like a lot, do affect my overall mark and average greatly. Thus far, my marks are as follows:

Data Management - 87
Advanced Functions - 94
English - 92
Calculus - 98
Philosophy - 83 (Highest mark attainable without the discussion posting and midterm counted)
Average: 89.5%

Data Management - 87
Advanced Functions - 94
English - 92
Calculus - 98
Philosophy - 93 (Highest mark attainable with the discussion posting and midterm counted)
Average: 91.17%

As you can see, it really is a make or break situation. Throughout this course, I have given 110% to each of my assignments, which reflects in my marks. I understand that this puts you in a difficult situation, but I am begging that you reconsider. I realize that I will be able to increase this communication mark as the course progresses; however, universities are concerned with solely with mid term marks at this point. I have yet to be extended an offer of admission, which is why I am concerned. There has been a misunderstanding, for which I am extremely apologetic. I was truly unaware of how to differentiate summative discussion postings with formative ones. However, though my other work, I am sure you are able to recognize my dedication to this course. I do not want a misunderstanding as such to interfere with my future for the next 4 years, and potentially the rest of my life. Please do take a second glance at my situation, as it really does mean a lot to my family and I.

Sincerely,

+1

Nice man.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks bro. Sent the email. Hope he isn't a complete a**hole
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie
I cried reading your email:compress:
Its awesome!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Doorhandle Doorhandle
If he doesnt count the assignment after that email, just post his contact info and we can all rage at him.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

X,

Let me mark the exam and let's see where your mark stands after that.

Please be patient and while I appreciate your position I am judging your performance in this Philosophy course your other marks have no bearing on this particular mark.

Regards.

Mr.

Thanks guys! This was his reply back... Wtf does this mean? :|
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancee dancee
It means he's nice enough to consider adding the mark in after the final has been written. Do your best on the exam, and remind him about it afterwards.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So do you think my chances are greatened if I did well on the exam or poorly on it? Bc I'm pretty sure I got perfect. How can I further convince him? I've handed everything else in in a timely manner :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted