yconic - Advice on negotiating with a university
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Advice on negotiating with a university

A photo of colakid123 colakid123
Has anyone tried negotiating with a university by asking for more money in aid/scholarships based on offers from comparable universities? How did it turn out?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of Rica Rica
Yeah, I was actually wondering the same thing... if anyone could offer any advice / share any personal stories relevant to that topic, I would be very grateful as well. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CanadaBoy CanadaBoy
My sister has done it to some success (they bumped her scholarship slightly) but I'm not sure if that was just a fluke :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@CanadaBoy wrote
My sister has done it to some success (they bumped her scholarship slightly) but I'm not sure if that was just a fluke :P

Oh wow, that's cool. I assumed that if you ask for more, the university would probably have an attitude like "no sorry, if you are unsatisfied, go to another uni"...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CanadaBoy wrote

Which university was it? Are certain ones more likely to do it than others?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emilykd emilykd
My dad keeps telling me to do this.... I want to try it with UBC (they're so skimpy on the cash!) and U of T, because Dal offered me a lot and I can possibly use that to barter? If I do try I'll let you all know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
If you get anything out of UBC, let me know, and I'll go get some for myself! :bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@VegaKrazmych wrote
If you get anything out of UBC, let me know, and I'll go get some for myself! :bball:

I think this forum alone is the reason unis probably won't negotiate. If you give $ to one, there'll be ten more phone calls. I'll still try though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@colakid123 wrote

@VegaKrazmych wrote

I think this forum alone is the reason unis probably won't negotiate. If you give $ to one, there'll be ten more phone calls. I'll still try though.

Good point, and good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0